Notices
GT S197 General Discussion This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the V8 variation of the 2005 and newer Ford Mustang.

Vinyl Stripes

Search this Thread

Old 10-31-2005, 07:32 PM
The Ghost
3rd Gear Member

Default Vinyl Stripes

Getting my stripes removed. The 3-M so called 7 year stripe lasted about five months. I keep my car super clean and waxxed and the stripes are stained/spotted so bad that they look years old. My installer is going to eat it but Well, just damn I got a quote today to get the same thing painted on. Want to go with the "no raise" feel so the stock paint will have to be sanded down. This ain't cheap!!! I am very disappointed with the way the vinyl held up. I did not plan on doing any more body mods to my baby. Now I'm looking at a lot of $$$$ to keep this look.
Old 11-01-2005, 12:33 PM
05SonicBlue
2nd Gear Member

Default RE: Vinyl Stripes

i'm getting a little discoloration in my silver stripes after 8 months, but not bad enough yet to remove and reapply. i had them use the cheapest vinyl available (not 3M, no N-year guarantee). i'm wondering if applying wax to the vinyl is a bad idea, actually.
Old 11-02-2005, 09:43 AM
The Ghost
3rd Gear Member

My installer recomended wax when he installed them. He claims he got over 40 rolls of bad product and it is all begining to come back on him. Most of his issues were shrinking and staining. I just lost faith in the vinyl.
Old 11-02-2005, 09:47 AM
F00Mustang
3rd Gear Member

How much is painting going to cost you. I looking to get it done when my car comes in.
Old 11-02-2005, 11:50 PM
The Ghost
3rd Gear Member

$1600 but they are going to remove the front bumper, hood, rear deck, spoiler, and rear bumper and stripe/clear coat them individually. I asked for extra thick clear on the front bumper and hood due to a lot of dings in the factory paint allready. For $400 more they will stripe the underside of the hood and for $200 over that the rear deck lid. Considering this due to I've not seen another one like that yet.
Old 11-03-2005, 05:48 AM
jakemarietta

Newbie here about to buy an 06 GT vert. Are you saying that NONE of the vinyl stripe packages out there are any good? One vendor on EBay claims his are ones Saleen uses? If there are any good manufacturers, source, and prices out there, please post!
Thanks!
Old 11-03-2005, 11:48 AM
Professor Wizard
MF Moderator

Jake....

Paint is always better the Vinyl... but Vinyl is a GREAT way for you to decide if your going to like the stripes or not.

Vinyl (all of them) will deteriorate with time... but there are things you can do to extend the time... keep it clean, waxed and try not to leave it in the sun more then nessessary. The Cheap stuff will go away faster then the good stuff.. pretty simple.
Old 11-03-2005, 02:33 PM
sowaxeman
Retired Moderator

Saleen doesn't stripe its cars [&:] If you are referring to the vinyl they use on the windshield SALEEN, and the door stripe kits - then I wouldn't count on that lasting forever either. Ever seen 10-15 year old saleens that are well taken car of?? Those decals look like they could use replaced IMO (heck, a lot them have been replaced).

Vinyl is the cheap alt. to paint - therefore it will not last as long as paint. Use vinyl, expect to replace it eventually.

BUT 5-6 months is JUST a little crazy [8D]

If you want vinyl to last a long time, it should clear coated over like a lot of motorcycle manufacturers do on their decals.
Old 11-03-2005, 05:14 PM
The Ghost
3rd Gear Member

Like I said above, my installer says he got over 40 rolls of bad product. No way to know until it happens I suppose. He says he has been dealing with claims from it for months now. Some went bad in as little as a month. Mine made it five. I agree that vinyl is the cheap alternative but I also expected several years from the stuff. It does without a doubt give you the ability to play around with stripe color to find what you like. I liked mine so I will be getting them painted now.
Old 11-18-2005, 10:27 PM
BennieBlancoNY

What color stripe do you have? I also have a sliver GT and like the color of your stripes. Everyone has black! I am having mine painted also. You gotta do it right the first time man...

Quick Reply: Vinyl Stripes