Notices
GT S197 General Discussion This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the V8 variation of the 2005 and newer Ford Mustang.

Am I being to picky

Search this Thread

Old 11-03-2005, 04:11 PM
Stone
2nd Gear Member

Default Am I being to picky

Hey everyone,

I just wanted to ask for a reality check from other Mustang owners.

I am wondering if I am just too picky with my dealer and want to see what some of you have to deal with before I drop them and go to another place.

I seem to have had a lot of problems with my stang mostly because it was one of the first 05's so I have all the normal problems but
Then I seem to end up going back to the dealer every time they fix something to either have it redone or to fix something else that they have messed up while
Fixing the original problem like

I got car in Nov 2004 not 2 weeks later my driver side window falls off track "aligned from factory" is what I was told.

I had gas tank replaced but only after getting the "slow fill" TSB from the forums and being aggressive with lead mechanic then they screwed up putting my borals back on the hanger was so far back that when I would give it gas you could hear it scraping the inside of bumper took them 2 hours to figure it out and they tried 2 time to tell me that it was my plate cover making noise ha-ha I had to point it out that one tip was 3"'s longer then the other.

I had dealer put in my drop springs when I had the "front strut popping" TSB done and I got some noise from the spring so wanted it looked at and the first thing I hear from them is "not my problem" you have aftermarket parts till I reminded his dumb @ss that he put them on and then all of a sudden must not be that then.
O yeah I forgot my drivers side tire sticks out about 1" farther then passengers side and they keep telling me that it was my custom rims are made wrong
I had to read it here "Adjustable pan head bar" for cars that are lowered to straiten that out. don't you think maybe a dealership would have maybe known that you would need one after car is dropped and they forgot to give me back my chrome stem when they stripped my rubber off my rim cause I was dumb enough to believe them that it was the rim that was causing the problem so now I am out a chrome stem.

I just had a 2 hour oil change because they forgot to order my head light and they realized that replacing the GT emblem on trunk had to be done by body shop, I guess it was too much to let me know that they could not replace it since I was waiting onsite for them to finish.

I have had some paint swirls under my clear coat in about 5 spots mostly drivers rear quarter and hood since I got the car and reported it right away but have not had the chance to have them fix it till this week so when I do they tell me there is a tiny @ss rock chip in my hood and they can't fix the swirls now cause it has damage and we are talking 1 tiny chip smaller then this "O" which I believe does not null and void the fact that it came wrong from the factory.

I am a computer tech and not a car tech but I know that things go wrong and I never lose my temper with them when it does, I am the dream customer glad to wait very understanding When something is wrong or forgotten so after all the crap I have put up with and believe me there is more from these people I have not even put here I really feel like they have gone out of there way to not help me out with the hood is just something that is stuck in my craw.

I belive that i have answered my own question after typing this out but will post it any way so when you feel like your having a bad car day you can look at this and feel better

P.S. I am not a Hot Asian girl but I do sleep with one
Old 11-03-2005, 04:38 PM
Professor Wizard
MF Moderator

Default RE: Am I being to picky

HEy there Stone...

Take it to another dealer... yoru complaints are in the FORD computer so they should be documented and another dealership can take care of it.

It still baffels me when a dealership refuses to fix something that Ford will pay for.... but... it is to the dealerships benifit to refuse you... THEN if you want it fixed you have to Pay out of your pocket FULL SHOP RATE - which, by the way, warentee work is NOT paid at full shop rates, so the dealerships make considerable more money on things they can charge YOU for vs what they have to charge Ford for.

If you want the dealership that denied your paint rework, you need them to give you in writing WHY they initially agreed to do the work, and now due to a rock chip refused the work... because in all honesty - the rock chip would have NOTHING to do with the buffing and reclearcoating they would have to do to fix your car.

FYI... if you do get them to rebuff yoru car - hit that rock chip with some touchup paint so it gets buffed too... then it will be GONE forever!

Oh yea... Stone... is that YOU on your sic picture.. or your girlfriend?

You may be victom of "a girl dropped it off" syndrome!... you could make some $$$ in a suit if they are treating you different because your a girl!
Old 11-03-2005, 04:41 PM
torch red
4th Gear Member

be aggresive dont worry, keep trying to make the dealer do there job, they get paid from ford anyway on any TSB or recall, so dont worry about the dealer, worry about the sweet ride of yours.
Old 11-03-2005, 05:26 PM
The Ghost
3rd Gear Member

My dealer acts the same way. I have started printing off the TSB's and handing them to the dealer when I take it in. So far they have claimed they have never had another mustang in as much as mine, and went so far as to tell me that some of the things I wanted fixxed weren't really bad enough to worry about. The shop manager even tried to give me crap about the CAI and tune when I took it in to get the front popping noise fixxed. I asked him what the hell did he need to run codes on the car for to fix a strut?! He wanted to tell me that I voided the warranty. What a clown!
Old 11-03-2005, 05:36 PM
Stone
2nd Gear Member

Yeah I have gotten some of that also but they are for the most part very helpfull and nice which is why I am on the fence about going some place else not to mention the closest place other then where i go now is about 40 min drive.
Old 11-03-2005, 06:53 PM
Derf00
Gentleman's Relish

ORIGINAL: Stone

Yeah I have gotten some of that also but they are for the most part very helpfull and nice which is why I am on the fence about going some place else not to mention the closest place other then where i go now is about 40 min drive.

Well it's a tough call on about half of what you stated. If the dealer wanted to truly be an **** they could tell you that since it's not OEM they don't have to give a rats ****. I know of one dealer here in AZ that WOULD tell you that.

It's not the dealers responsibility to complete the modification for you (i.e. panhard bar needing to be replaced because of lowering). Their main objective is to take teh car back to OEM specs. If the car has been modified in a way that does not allow for that (lowerd) then they really aren't culpable. It's the responsibility of the owner to realize that modifying the car may require more than just throwing in the specific part.

I wouldn't be so quick to cut them loose, many dealers can be real dicks or straight up lie when it comes to repairs. As for the paint, talk to the general manager. Let him know you discovered the swirl marks after you purchased the car because of certain light conditions. As for the rock chip..that's straight up BS. You had the complaint in before and it's not like the only area you are complaining about happens to be where the rock chip is.

As for a different perspective....

Look at it from a computer tech point. (not sure of what you do exactly but...) Let's say joe blow buy a piece of software that requires more memory and a better graphics card than he currently has. But the person not realizing this buys the software. He has a new computer so he figures it shoudl work. Low-and-behold, it doesn't. He comes to find out his video card is not compatible. Is the fault of the store? Nope, is it the responsibility of the software maker to say "hey" you might need this, this, AND this...nope.

Step further, Computer tech has someone that tells him, I want this video card installed. Guy doesn't have the latest fixes on his O/S, turns out some of the fixes are needed with some programs, the Tech doesn't realize all the fixes that are out there so the guy has problems with the new card under certain conditions. Honest mistake. Still though, not the tech's fault.
Old 11-03-2005, 08:32 PM
Stone
2nd Gear Member

Sorry I did not mean to make it sound like I thought the panhead bar is in any way there fault. I just ment that They had no idea that lowering a car would shift the back end over
and make my tire stick out the just blamed it on my rims so I spent 3 weeks working with my rim people and wasted most of the summer do to the fact that they did not know.

I just think that they missed a good sale there $150 part another $100 labor just makes me wonder how much they really know about cars other then OEM I would like to think there all big gear heads and know everything and would have saved me 3 weeks of shipping rim to maker just to have him tell me there fine, If I had not read a post here I would still not know what it was.

They just make alot of honest but dumb mistakes that I would expect from my friends working on car not dealer.

I am still on the fence but I just got the car back and low and behold they did do the hood now! which is really nice but still the same guy that did it and he detailed the whole car mind you is the same one that called me and told me he was not going to do it because of the rock chips, But man did he leave alot i mean alot of powder on my car it will take me all night atleast 3 hours to get all that white crap out of every crack on my car and inside also is every were on seats dash floor.

So again I am really glad he did it but now i will have to spend all night cleaning up after him.

I will give them some more time I guess at least there not rude or strait out mean guess that is a +
Old 11-04-2005, 11:35 AM
Professor Wizard
MF Moderator

Stone...

What your dealing with is also the scariest thing about dealerships.

One would ASSUME that the Dealership is perhaps the highest level of skill and talant and THAT is why many people get even their older cars worked on at the dealerships.

The TRUTH could not be further away. Dealership like to have auto tech, fresh out of school... because they are CHEAP!... if they end up being superior mechanic the leave the dealerships and either open their own shop, or go work for a precision shop. If they become a so-so mechanic they stay with the dealership for life.

Mind you.. not ALL Dealership Mechanics are so-so... there are some VERY Good ones.. but the odds of you getting THAT guy to work on YOUR car are slim as hell unless your dating the daughter of the owner of the dealership.

I absolutely astounds me the amount of "See Spot Run" things the mechanics at the dealerships misdiagnose. It also amazes me how so many dealerships have little respect for you or your car, you deliver it all shiny and clean for work, and they give it back all covered with hand prints, minor scratches and shop dust everywhere.

I HATE taking my car to a dealership for work - - I ONLY do it for warentee work, the rest of the time I take it to a private shop where they have respect for the automobile and people what know what they are doing. (Advertisement >> Roy's Automotive in Manchester MO! is a prime example!)

Old 11-04-2005, 02:55 PM
Derf00
Gentleman's Relish

ORIGINAL: Professor Wizard

Stone...

What your dealing with is also the scariest thing about dealerships.

One would ASSUME that the Dealership is perhaps the highest level of skill and talant and THAT is why many people get even their older cars worked on at the dealerships.

The TRUTH could not be further away. Dealership like to have auto tech, fresh out of school... because they are CHEAP!... if they end up being superior mechanic the leave the dealerships and either open their own shop, or go work for a precision shop. If they become a so-so mechanic they stay with the dealership for life.

Mind you.. not ALL Dealership Mechanics are so-so... there are some VERY Good ones.. but the odds of you getting THAT guy to work on YOUR car are slim as hell unless your dating the daughter of the owner of the dealership.

I absolutely astounds me the amount of "See Spot Run" things the mechanics at the dealerships misdiagnose. It also amazes me how so many dealerships have little respect for you or your car, you deliver it all shiny and clean for work, and they give it back all covered with hand prints, minor scratches and shop dust everywhere.

I HATE taking my car to a dealership for work - - I ONLY do it for warentee work, the rest of the time I take it to a private shop where they have respect for the automobile and people what know what they are doing. (Advertisement >> Roy's Automotive in Manchester MO! is a prime example!)

I agree to a point... the nice thing about the Dealer is they do work on Ford all day long so even a newb autotech will learn quickly. Plus as a newb they are less likely to know all the shortcuts a seasoned mechanic may know and therefore may take to get the job done faster and not always correctly. Dumb mistakes or oversights are the con of having noobs but most aim to please. It's the management team above them that decides whether or not they want to take the time to have the mistake rectified.

Old 11-04-2005, 05:31 PM
Stone
2nd Gear Member

Yeah I would have to agree but my shop has one guy that works on Mustangs so I kinda expected him to be just better then Noob I guess he is 40 ish so I assumed he was a long time gear head but we all know were assuming will get you.

The guy that trashed my car is there Paint and body guy which means he does nothing but paint and body work so I cut him no slack for the way he left my car,
he buffed the whole car and again I am greatfull to him for it, But there was so much powder on my car inside and out that i spent 2 hours cleaning it lastnight and am only about 1/2 done, I know I messed up and should have just left it a mess brought it back and bitched but I just could not stand to see my baby looking that bad and have to drive it to work the next day, There is buffing compond on my tires in every crack on car around windows on my louvers and he got it on the plastic around all my windows and rear view's which i can't seem to get off no matter what i try.

I will take it and power wash it tonight and see what that will get me.

I also wanted to mention that I was not impressed with the job that was done on the hood either there is a real nice white spot under the clear coat now dead center and I know that it was not there when i dropped it off so either he got in when he drove it the 20 miles to have it painted or dinged it while doing it. Either way not cool.

Quick Reply: Am I being to picky