Notices
GT S197 General Discussion This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the V8 variation of the 2005 and newer Ford Mustang.

manual .vs. auto (your answers INSIDE )

Old 11-08-2005, 12:34 PM
stang9325
2nd Gear Member

Default RE: manual .vs. auto (your answers INSIDE )

ORIGINAL: saud alzaabi

ok last night I raced with a good friend......

he say's it's stock and there is nothing under the hood so i think he may have gears in it or it's all natural power.
If he is a good friend, wouldn't you believe him and wouldn't you already know if he has anything done?
Old 11-08-2005, 04:11 PM
TJ
4th Gear Member

Yes Saud I thought you from that part of the world your name is a slight give away and from reading a few post awhile ago but like swieduwi said I checked your profile to make sure.

Old 11-08-2005, 04:39 PM
saud alzaabi
3rd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: stang9325

ORIGINAL: saud alzaabi

ok last night I raced with a good friend......

he say's it's stock and there is nothing under the hood so i think he may have gears in it or it's all natural power.
If he is a good friend, wouldn't you believe him and wouldn't you already know if he has anything done?
well.... i've been really busy with college and so is he busy with his job but i tried his mustang seemed to have same power as mine although i didnt shift to 5th....il make sure next time i see him
Old 11-13-2005, 11:52 PM
The Ghost
3rd Gear Member

DO NOT COUNT OUT THE AUTO!!!! Get a tune and work out your shift profiles. I have done many hours of trial and error and street and strip tuning my auto's shift points (upshift and downshift) I have it now so that i will unconditionally beat any stock stick and will hang with (at least all i have encountered) tuned sticks. My secret is putting the power to the ground. I concentrated on RPM and line presure to prevent the tires from breaking between shifts. And yes I had it breaking first and second and chirping third with my initial effort. I currently shift at 5900rpm 1-2 6000rpm 2-3 and 6300rpm 3-4 (I never make the 3-4 shift on the track so it lets my engine continue to pull through the traps). I have it set to give me a street rod feel when it shifts at part throttle, a little firm with not to much RPM as to make it jumpy. I got very aggressive on the downshifts at zero throttle and it comes down through the gears as if it's a standard being pulled down to help stop. With a little homework the auto is really a great set-up. My launches off the line have beaten every stick I have been up against. They come on stronger from 1-2 but so far I have had just enough jump to pull through that and get back into my power band. No shifting, no thought of RPM, just leave it in D. My only real complaint is that it shifts right before the 60ft so I get terrible 60ft. times. I am learning to ignore that now as my final times are right where they should be.
Old 11-13-2005, 11:56 PM
andyman
4th Gear Member

How did you get into the shift points access.....the tunes i have from brenspeed are 'locked'. Did you do it on a computer or on the xcal connected to the car? I'd like to make it so my car doesn't chirp through second and third.
Old 11-14-2005, 11:28 PM
The Ghost
3rd Gear Member

You can get free software from SCT. I have the Xcalibrator uplink cable so I can change anything in the program. I have not messed with the Brenspeed engine tune at all, I have no reason to yet. But I have changed just about everything in the tranny from shifts to torque converter lockup to line presure. My next upgrade is going to be a torque converter that is 500 -800 rpm looser than stock. Followed by rear controll arms.
Old 11-15-2005, 12:04 AM
spyder7724
4th Gear Member

my advice is go with the TCI converter. it's a true 10" performance converter not a loosened stock unit. they will make whatever stall you wish standard i think is about 3000-3300. i went a little higher with mine 4000 rpm stall in 3rd with brakes on. i had to change my driving style cause it was so loose but once i get the converter lock up worked out completely its really going to fly. it already pick me up 3 tenths in the 1/8 mile. there is more to a good converter than just the flash speed (stall) get a good one it doesn't cost that much more.
Old 11-15-2005, 12:30 AM
andyman
4th Gear Member

So what do you do when you say stall in third with the brakes on. I still don't understand this converter fully.....
Old 11-15-2005, 01:10 AM
spyder7724
4th Gear Member

they told me to check it like this:
turn off t/c and o/d
put the shifter in 3rd gear manually
drift the car forward so you can be sure you are in 3rd
then pump the brakes 2-3 times and hold while holding pull the e-brake and floor the gas pedal and hold for about 2 seconds (no longer than that though it will put too much heat in the fluid if you try that for 15 or 20 seconds.)
watch the tach as you have it floored
stock is about 2500-2700 rpm
mine is 4000!
there is a whole lot of stuff involved in building a good converter and i know enough to trust a company that does that as their buisness. i had a local guy build one for my super gas car and he didn't have a clue how to do it properly. his conv. 9.80 with an ATI 9.20 no other changes just the converter. the guys a ATI have a neat computer that loads all the info about the car what you want and what has worked in the past. they don't have a converter ready yet so i went with TCI. i've used a lot of their stuff and had no problems. i would not reccomend a converter as high as mine unless you are going to race alot. the difference in my auto is awesome. it roasts the tires through 1,2,3 on the street. i think i can keep up with the stick cars in the 60' times. at the track it hooks great and launches hard for a stock motored 3800lb
street car. i'm happy besides the tuner it's the best mod i put on(in).
Old 11-15-2005, 01:29 AM
andyman
4th Gear Member

ah HA I think i get it now......when i do burnouts, I notice that the wheels don't start turning over until about 2300-3000 rpms... that is in first though. So say I had the same one you had, it wouldn't start turning over until 4000rpms right?

my freind wanted to race his yamaha raptor atv against me earlier...i beat him and then on the second run i did a HUUUUUUUUUUGE burnout for kicks. I swear the streaks run a good 70 feet or so, maybe more i'll have to look when it's light out and take a picture.

god i love this car.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: manual .vs. auto (your answers INSIDE )