Notices
GT S197 General Discussion This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the V8 variation of the 2005 and newer Ford Mustang.

Auto Transmission shutter in 1st Gear? - New 06 GT

Search this Thread

Old 11-08-2005, 10:32 PM
mallan4929@yahoo.com

Default Auto Transmission shutter in 1st Gear? - New 06 GT

I have a question for other 06 mustang GT owners with an automatic transmission.

I have a new mustang with less than 500 miles and I notice a slight shutter when accelerating from a dead stop. It goes away before shifting to 2nd gear. If I accelerate slowly I don't feel it at all.

Is the normal or something I should get checked out?

Thanks!

2006 Mustang GT Convertible
Old 11-08-2005, 11:05 PM
spyder7724
4th Gear Member

Default RE: Auto Transmission shutter in 1st Gear? - New 06 GT

is this with the t/c on or off? the traction control may do this if it is trying tobreak the tires loose. but the light on the dash would be on notifying you that it detected wheel spin. this may be an issue for the dealer.
Old 11-08-2005, 11:30 PM
ren274u
3rd Gear Member

ive had mine for 3 weeks and felt nothing like this. Flooring it from a dead stop i dont feel anything
Old 11-09-2005, 03:08 AM
saud alzaabi
3rd Gear Member

from what i under stood u mean when shifting from 1~2 it stays like half a second and then shifts right ? well if its that the problem then it's normal with me..when racing i shift at 5400 so that it would shift at the redline which is 6000.sometimes i forget to shift sooner so it goes to 6000 and then slows a bit until i shift it.

also when im doing this shifting my over drive is on ( i know its not that good when shifting but ifeel safe :P ) but when racing i never switch of the traction button cuz there is no insurance on it..just some little type that if someone hit me he is repairing but if i crashed i pay

but if i understood wrong and u mean when kicking the throttle from a stop yes it takes time like half a second to go full throttle there is this throttle lag issue that every one wants to get rid of..u can get rid of most of it with a cold air intake kit and a tunner.

thanks hope i helped
Old 11-10-2005, 12:34 AM
The Ghost
3rd Gear Member

I get no shudder. I have done a tremendous amount of shift tuning with the Xcallibrator. I consider what i have now to be a very agessive tune. It is smooth through all gears.
Old 11-10-2005, 01:14 PM
757GT
I ♥ Acer

I have no shutter. Mine shifts at 6300 and will spin going into 2nd, 3rd, and sometimes 4th.
Old 11-10-2005, 05:49 PM
Fourth Horseman
2nd Gear Member

I am no transmission expert, so take this with a grain of salt, but I had a '97 Thunderbird V8 Sport that did the same thing and it turned out to be something wrong with the torque convertor in the transmission. Might pay to have your dealership service writer take a test drive with you so he/she can feel it for themselves.
Old 11-11-2005, 08:05 PM
mallan4929@yahoo.com

Here is an update to my orginal question.

I went to the dealer today and had two techs drive my 2006 GT Mustang. The conclusion was that the slight shutter/vibration was the traction control kicking in and the vibration was normal. The service manager said they would add an inhibitor (fluid??) and this might lessen the shutter/vibration somewhat.

I could not tell a significant difference. At this point I'll take their word for it, but keep an eye on it. Afterall it is under warranty.
Old 11-13-2005, 09:55 PM
RobD

I have a new '06 GT Auto, too, and mine does the same thing. When accelerating normally from a stop, there's a slight, momentary shutter in 1st. gear, shortly before it shifts into second. I thought about the traction control, but I not accelerating hard enough to activate it. I tried turning the TC off, anyway, but I still felt the shutter. I don't buy the Traction Control explanation the dealer gave you. I also thought about the torque converter possibly at fault, but who knows. I'm going to bring my car to the dealer, I'll report what they find.
Old 11-15-2005, 06:12 PM
RobD

Update: I took the car to the dealer today and rode along with the mechanic...he felt the shudder and kinda wrote it off as minor and just an idiosyncrasy of the car...I'm not so sure. He did not feel the traction control was to blame, either. He said the transmission was fine including the torque converter, which he said was not causing the shudder because at the slow speeds where it's felt, the torque converter is nowhere near trying to lock up. So, for now, I guess the shudder's here to stay. I also have a slight transmission fluid leak which will be addressed next week. They couldn't see where the leak was, just that the trail was running down the bell housing. The car's going in for the leak next week.

Quick Reply: Auto Transmission shutter in 1st Gear? - New 06 GT