Notices
GT S197 General Discussion This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the V8 variation of the 2005 and newer Ford Mustang.

what tune to get

Search this Thread

Old 11-15-2005, 05:14 PM
TomsEleanor
1st Gear Member

Default what tune to get

ive been looking at gettin a tune for my 06 GT. everyone around this forum seems to like either diablo's or predator's. what im looking for is something that will allow me to tune for more HP and also allow me to keep using 87 oct gas. id also like one that would allow me to re-tune the car to the factory setting when i need to take it to the dealer. id just like some input good and bad on experiences you guys have had with these two tuners. if it makes any difference these are the other mods im planning, nothin too radical. K&N cai, underdrive pully, lightweight driveshaft, 62 or 65mm TB, maybe spacers and maybe a lightweight flywheel. oh and if you can gimme an idea of what i can expect to pay for the tuners id be thankful.
Old 11-15-2005, 05:53 PM
DROCKOFTX
2nd Gear Member

Default RE: what tune to get

Your options are basically an SCT or a Diablo(predator) tuner so you can still flash back to stock. I bought a Predator because I have friends who have had good luck with them in the past. If I knew that for the 05/06's you can't change shift firmness when I bought it, I would have bought an SCT. They are both about $380 or so. With the SCT you can make these adjustments wich I think are a neccessity in an auto. If you have a manual either are fine. I am probably going to sell mine and get an SCT since theirs will allow shift firmness adjustment for the auto. I am angry diablo didn't tell me that before I purchased it.
Old 11-15-2005, 06:26 PM
TomsEleanor
1st Gear Member

thanks dr, appreciate that. btw did you feel a difference powerwise? id also like to hear your #'s off the dyno when you get that done.
Old 11-15-2005, 06:32 PM
DROCKOFTX
2nd Gear Member

I installed the CAI at the same time so it's hard to tell exactly what difference just the tune made but it was definitaly a noticable difference. If you have a manual I would sell my Predator for $250 if you're interested. If it's auto, you won't get as much as you could out of the tranny. Since I have auto I need to swap to SCT so I can change shift firmness and lock it in gear before I can get an accurate dyno.
Old 11-15-2005, 11:22 PM
wadman
2nd Gear Member

I put the original SuperChips max tuner on mine along with Ford racing 4:10 gears, Hurst shifter, Hooker axle back and K & N cai. I cant speak for other performance combos but i promise you this car will fly. My car is kind of a base model it just has the basics on it no leather or my colors. But i did put a big keenwood stereo in it. I think i must be the only one on this forum who used Superchips but i did it because they have been around longer than the others. You might want to give this combo a try i promise its hot.
Old 11-16-2005, 12:37 AM
drbobvs
5th Gear Member

Well, I've had both. I had the Steeda CAI with Predator tune from Steeda. I too was pissed you couldn't change the shift firmness. I saw others getting better performance so I sold it and bought the C&L CAI and SCT 2 fron Brenspeed. What a difference! Throttle response is instantaneous, Pulls awesome and chirps second easily!! So I guess you know what I say.

[IMG]local://upfiles/16153/6F1B1694F6224FF3ACDA715FE2482239.jpg[/IMG]
Old 11-19-2005, 04:50 PM
tradetheoex
1st Gear Member

I to bought the Predator beause the adds said you could adjust shift firmness and YOU CAN"T! Luckily, I bought the Predator from Summit Racing. They took it back, gave me a full refund and pulled the product off the web sight. They are advertising the next generation Diaplsport tuner as available in mid-December. I just installed the Brenspeed X-CAL II and C & L Cold Air Kit combo. This thing is awesome. Definately won't be disappointed. I can get the car sideways on the 1-2 shift. I barks the tires hard on the 2-3 **** as well. Shifts like stock at part throttle. Just Awesome!!!!!
Old 11-20-2005, 02:07 AM
Hammermill
1st Gear Member

I went with the Diablo and used thier 93 octane tune first. I did not notice any power increase but the throttle response improved some and the annoying lag between 1st and 2nd gear went away. I then bought a C&L CAI and used the diablo again with the C&L tune, but this time I noticed a significant increase in power as expected with the CAI, and again better throttle response. I have a manual so the shift point thingy is not an issue but IMO if you have a auto and you want some significant preformance increase get the C&L CAI and Xcal 2 package. If you have a manual you could go with either tuner I guess. Do not bother with just the tuner unless you are short on cash.
Old 11-20-2005, 04:13 PM
chevykiller
I ♥ Acer

Everyone is pretty right on the money when discussing SCT vs. Predator. I didn't see a repsonse from you whether you had manual or automatic trans? The Diablo is the best way to go for manual trans and SCT for auto. Both packages run under $400 and you should defintitely get the Mafia Adapter if you go with Predator. Both allow you to store multiple tunes and a good start is to set 3 tunes - 1 for factory OEM settings, 1 for daily performance, & 1 for drag/race. I am concerned though about your 1st remark of 87 Octane. You SHOULD NOT be running 87 octane in your car even at factory. You can get away wityh it with no mods, but once you even reflash your computer for peak performance you should be using premium gas. You should consider having a tune for performance on premium pump gas, and having a tune with the timing stepped up for drag on race gas. You don't need to run anything ridiculous, try 5 gallons of premium mixed with 5 gallons of 104 or 107 race fuel. It also depends a lot of where you are located as I am in California and our gas here sucks because of all the additives put in. If you are on the east coast or south, gas is much cleaner and premuim pump is close to a true 93 octane.

[IMG]local://upfiles/24802/1D85F942B9CD4A528AD57D1CC73C7160.jpg[/IMG]
Old 11-20-2005, 04:23 PM
jwgroovin
2nd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: chevykiller

Everyone is pretty right on the money when discussing SCT vs. Predator. I didn't see a repsonse from you whether you had manual or automatic trans? The Diablo is the best way to go for manual trans and SCT for auto. Both packages run under $400 and you should defintitely get the Mafia Adapter if you go with Predator. Both allow you to store multiple tunes and a good start is to set 3 tunes - 1 for factory OEM settings, 1 for daily performance, & 1 for drag/race. I am concerned though about your 1st remark of 87 Octane. You SHOULD NOT be running 87 octane in your car even at factory. You can get away wityh it with no mods, but once you even reflash your computer for peak performance you should be using premium gas. You should consider having a tune for performance on premium pump gas, and having a tune with the timing stepped up for drag on race gas. You don't need to run anything ridiculous, try 5 gallons of premium mixed with 5 gallons of 104 or 107 race fuel. It also depends a lot of where you are located as I am in California and our gas here sucks because of all the additives put in. If you are on the east coast or south, gas is much cleaner and premuim pump is close to a true 93 octane.
Agreed regarding the 87 octane tunes. No one has reported (to my knowledge) any gains at all with the 87 octane aftermarket tunes. I don't even know why they are offered. Your gains come from using higher octane AND getting a tune to correct the air/fuel ratios, spark advance and some other performance enhancements...

John

Quick Reply: what tune to get