Notices
GT S197 General Discussion This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the V8 variation of the 2005 and newer Ford Mustang.

supercharger question

Search this Thread

Old 11-22-2005, 09:04 PM
chevykiller
I ♥ Acer

Default RE: supercharger question

This is the last post I will give on the matter but you obviously don't know ANYTHING about the T-Trim System. Vortech ONLY offers 2 supercharger systems - 1. standard 2. high-output. BOTH systems are S-Trim systems and the high output system makes 9-12 PSI out-of-the-box. My car runs 10-12 psi with the high output S-Trim system only. You cannot even buy a T-Trim System in any kind of box. You have to already have the High-Output System, then upgrade to a T-Trim Conversion. The T-Trim conversion puts out 14-18 PSI out-of-the-box and Vortech Instructs your car will not handle it without the mods I mentioned.

Second - I never said anything about Birdieman being a novice. I was speaking about novices in general and saying there is not enough data or track time or mods made that could definitively give the title of 'BEST ALL AROUND SUPERCHARGER' to any single s/c. The T-trim System upgrade, after purchasing the H/O system will run you about $6,500 in parts alone, so YES, if you want 500+RWHP in your stang, it's silly to tell people they can do it for a couple grand.

My main point was to encourage people to shop around and learn about the products they think they want instead of running out and buying whatever someone on this site says is good. No matter how good you make your car the fact is simply IT DOESN'T MATTER HOW MUCH SOMEONE ELSE GOT OUT OF THEIR CAR, IT ONLY MATTERS WHAT YOU CAN GET OUT OF YOUR CAR. No one should purchase anything because someone on this site said it was the best.

FINALLY - If you think a 10 sec 1/4 mile is not impressive numbers for an 05 mustang - then you obviously have never raced your car on a track. I am in SoCal where there are scores of 05 stangs and my measley 11.90's blow people's minds week after week.

If ANYONE on this site tells you that you can have a 10 sec 05 or 06 mustang with bolt-ons only and no internal engine rebuild - THEY ARE LYING TO YOU!
Old 11-22-2005, 10:10 PM
GJP05
3rd Gear Member

Do you even read your own posts. First you say that the T-trim is the most powerful out of the box then you say you can't even buy th T-trim. If you did a little more reasearch you would find that you can order a T-trim on Vortech's website. As far as your 10.86 1/4 mile time there are 2 cars that I know of that are a whole second faster. They are using the Procharger. Who said that you could get any S/C for a couple thousand dollars? Maybe you should visit other sites and you will find that there is plenty of info on all the S/C's that people are running and what they are capable of in the real world. Since your in SoCal then drive to San Diego and you will find plenty of 05's with track info with a S/C. Do you think that you were the only person to shop around before they bought a S/C. No one said that they were trying to get into the 10's with their car. They only wanted to know which S/C was the best bang for your buck. That being said the Saleen can reach the same numbers as the Vortech but with less boost which means less engine stress and longer life.
Old 11-22-2005, 10:45 PM
jbailer
3rd Gear Member

chevykiller, don't stop posting on the subject. Although nobody has said it yet, I certainly appreciate the information and you know there are many people reading that just don't post. This is part of my learning process. I try to talk to each of the manufacturer's technical representatives (or at least sales) and then do as much as possible real world investigation. First hand information from people who have done it can never be replaced. Of course you have to understand that many people's experiences could be bad because of bad tunes. I'm still shocked at how many shops out there do such TERRIBLE work! I am by no means a great tuner but I have lots of money invested in high-end monitoring equipment and know a bit about tuning. I'll definitely get a preliminary tune from a very qualified shop first but use that as a starting point (this is where many people reading cringe and say - he's going to blow it up).

After my research, I definitely agree with you that 17psi is too much for our stock engine. Anyone that doesn't agree can feel free to prove me wrong. I got that from a very reliable source. Fortunately it wasn't my money.

I'm glad you posted that pic of your install. I read about the Vortech but hadn't seen a picture of the install. I like that they got the intake in a good spot. Have you considered a heat shield up there around it? I bet you'll find it helps. Can you tell me more about the Vortech packages? Not the blower itself, the supporting components. Fuel pump rating, injector size, MAF size, intercooler, anything like that? One thing I like about the Vortech is that the lower initial torque will help preserve my (don't laugh) automatic transmission . I'm still trying to decide and if people like you don't share your experiences, it would be tough for all of us. -Joe
Old 11-22-2005, 10:50 PM
chevykiller
I ♥ Acer

What I was saying specifically was the T-Trim is a Modification to the H/O sytem. Did you know just 1 year ago (when I built my car) the only s/c's on the market were Vortech and ATI so reasearch meant nothing back then. You claim to know two 05 mustangs that run in the 9's? I REALLY want to know how to get a new mustang in the 9 sec 1/4 mile time with bolt-on products. With anything for that matter short of an engine rebuild. I'm not being sarcastic, I REALLY want to know. I am willing to pay big money to get my car in the 9 sec range without a major engine rebuild. Please enlighten me how this is possible? My family owns several 9 second cars and none of them are carrying less than 860 hp (and that's a 1962 1600lb Nova - the others are all running over 1000 HP)and I am DYING to see a stock engine mustang run a 9 sec 1/4 mile. Bench racing is very easy, my friend, timeslips say it all. I put a challenge for anyone on this site to show me a 9 sec 1/4 mile mustang on a factory spec'd motor. It won't happen!

Your comments ensure me that you read a lot magazines, check a lot of websites, talk on a lot of forums, but don't actually RACE YOUR CAR. If you ever get out to California, I have the Blue ROUSH and I am at Perris Raceway EVERY friday night, at Irwindale Speedway every other Thursday night and at Fontanna every month for street legals. Please come down cause I would love to spank you on the track. You might just learn how fast 9 seconds is and what it takes to run it.

www.spankintime.com

PEACE!
Old 11-23-2005, 02:39 AM
gregsdart
1st Gear Member

Well, i will jump into the frey!! To run 9.99 in the 1/4, a 3650 lb mustang will have to launch very well and put every one of 723 rear wheel Hp to work very effectively. That is a very hard thing to do. My experiance comes from running a drag car for many years, and going as quick as 8.80 in the 1/4 on motor only.
Old 11-23-2005, 02:55 AM
andyman
4th Gear Member

Yeah how much faster would the car go if it was partially gutted? i.e. passenger seat, rear seats (if they come out), every last thing in the trunk, etc
Old 11-23-2005, 12:42 PM
rotorr22
1st Gear Member

My question about the various blowers relates to blower and system reliability. I would love to have a blower on my '06 GT but am not interested in drag racing it (been there, done that). I have a fair amount of experience with Lysholm blowers in marine applications and have found them practically bullet proof. What kind of street experience do my fellow stanger's have with the various blower designs? Do they drag the MPG down significantly when you are not in boost? Can you go on a 500 mile trip without breaking something? How often do you replace the serpentine? How much weight do the intercooled systems add to the car on the average?

Being old and feeble, I don't beat on my cars anymore but still enjoy eating a GM or Mopar when the mood strikes.

06 Mustang GT, Vista Blue. Awaiting my first mod....chrome bullits!
Old 11-23-2005, 06:08 PM
Richard6669
1st Gear Member

www.suttonhp.com got a 2005 mustang in the 9's in august. Its definatly possible and i think they had somewhere just under 600 rwhp.
Old 11-23-2005, 07:26 PM
chevykiller
I ♥ Acer

This topic turned south quick...lol

LET ME BE PRECISE...

I never said it was imposible for an 05 mustang to run in the 9's. I SAID (AND STAND BY) That it is impossible for an 05 mustang to run in the 9's with bolt on products only and no major engine rebuild.

BTW - Sutton's (and anyone's elses for that matter pulling more than 500RWHP) had an engine rebuild.

PEACE
Old 11-24-2005, 11:59 AM
jbailer
3rd Gear Member

I had a Eaton roots type positive-displacement supercharger on my last car. If there was a twin screw available for that application, I would have chosen that as it is even more efficient. Less pressure for the same hp = less stress on the engine. Plus lower operating temperatures. Many manufacturers put superchargers on the engine as part of a towing package. The roots type positive-displacement and twin screws provide near instant torque and maitain it across the RPM range.

As for the gas mileage, my mileage actually increased when I wasn't hammering it. The parasitic loss of the sc was either accounted for in the application or it was so negligable the gains out-weighed the loss.

Regarding reliability, my philosophy is heat kills. I'm not a big fan of turbo applications because of the heat generated. Of course there is heat whenever you compress air but my experience has been there seems to be more heat in the turbo applications I've experienced. Again this takes me back to the twin screws, especially the Saleen supercharger. I talked to a rep at Saleen and I'm liking that application more and more. I just learned it actually has an inter-cooler and an after-cooler. Since I have lots of time to wait for my new car to arrive, I'm researching the many applications to death and so far I'm leaning towards the Saleen with Whipple close behind. "Can you go on a 500 mile trip without braking something?" Sure, as I mentioned, there are many car manufacturers that include superchargers and warrent them along with the car. I would frequently drive my car 2-3 hours to the track, race it and drive it back home.

Maintenance is not a big deal either. Theoretically, you would think the serpantine belt would wear quicker but I didn't notice any increased wear. Regarding weight, I'd be surprised if the entire Saleen package is more than 50lbs. You should contact JDM Engineering they've done some very impressive work with the Saleen supercharger and provide an entire package including supporting mods and tune if you want more or just the supercharger. -Joe

Quick Reply: supercharger question