Notices
GT S197 General Discussion This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the V8 variation of the 2005 and newer Ford Mustang.

Ford Racing Performance Package

Old 11-24-2005, 09:30 AM
cliff

Default Ford Racing Performance Package

Does anyone know anything about the new Ford Racing Performance Package. The package includes axle back exhaust, a cold air system and a programmer. The package is supposed to produce 20hp at the rear wheels. The price is about $900. I am curious as to who makes the components. Below is the link to Ford.

http://www.fordracingparts.com/home/home.asp
Old 11-24-2005, 10:57 AM
The Ghost
3rd Gear Member

Default RE: Ford Racing Performance Package

It uses the pro-calibrator. I am curious as to what a Ford Racing tune will do. AND it will be covered by the original warranty. My dealer gives me crap every time I go in about my upgrades.
Old 11-24-2005, 11:08 AM
jacrockett
3rd Gear Member

Warranty? We don't need no stinkin' warranty!

Seriously though, there's nothing at FRPP that says it won't void your warranty. 20rwhp is easy to get by adjusting the tune from 87 octane to 91 (timing advance). The intake and pipe won't affect performance more than 2hp on an otherwise stock setup.

Sounds overpriced to me. If you want better sounding exhaust, replace cat-back. Intake mods won't matter until you do major engine mods, or put on a blower.
Old 11-24-2005, 11:16 AM
jbailer
3rd Gear Member

I agree, that sounds way over priced. Especially for 20rwhp. I think you'd be better off going to one of the respected tuners and shopping a power adder package from the that includes a tune. -Joe
Old 11-24-2005, 12:01 PM
The Ghost
3rd Gear Member

C&L with a custom tune $700 Axle back exhaust $300-500 depending on what you get. I think $900 is in the right ballpark. 20RWH is probably conservative due to it has to be able to get advertised #'s everywhere. High altitude is difficult to post great #'s. And dealers have historically honored Ford Racing upgrades (hell it's adding to their profit sharing) AND YES A WARRANTY IS IMPORTANT!!!
Old 11-24-2005, 02:52 PM
ford4v429
3rd Gear Member

Ive seen links to the kit before, same question always comes up...will it affect warranty?

As ford has the source for the ecm tune, I REALLY think they need to offer some kind of 'tune selector', to where you could toggle between economy/performance modes- Ive heard of gt sticks peaking near 29 mpg highway, yet stock is still 13 second capable...would be really cool to pick a tune for track and another for long drive home...saturn had something like this long ago if I recall correctly...sisterinlaw had one...
Old 12-03-2005, 12:00 AM
FREAKO
2nd Gear Member

Dont worry about warranty issues.....read the following :

A common question is "Do aftermarket parts void my factory warranty?". The answer to this is no! In fact it is illegal for a manufacturer to do so unless they can prove that the added part specifically caused or contributed to the failure. Where is this stated?

Reference: MAGNUSON MOSS WARRANTY ACT - 15 U.S.C. 2302 (C)

This federal law regulates warranties for the protection of consumers. The essence of the law concerning aftermarket auto parts is that a vehicle manufacturer may not condition a written or implied warranty on the consumers using parts or services which are identified by brand, trade, or corporate name (such as the vehicle maker's brand) unless the parts or service are provided free of charge. The law means that the use of an aftermarket part alone is not cause for denying the warranty. However, the law's protection does not extend to aftermarket parts in situations where such parts actually caused the damage being claimed under the warranty. Further, consumers are advised to be aware of any specific terms or conditions stated in the warranty which may result in its being voided. The law states in relevant part:

“No warrantor of a consumer product may condition his written or implied warranty of such product on the consumers using, in connection with such product, any article or service (other than article or service provided without charge under the terms of the warranty) which is identified by brand, trade or corporate name...” (15 U.S.C. 2302(C)).

Old 12-03-2005, 12:25 AM
MikeHawke
Retired MF Moderator

ORIGINAL: The Ghost

C&L with a custom tune $700 Axle back exhaust $300-500 depending on what you get. I think $900 is in the right ballpark. 20RWH is probably conservative due to it has to be able to get advertised #'s everywhere. High altitude is difficult to post great #'s. And dealers have historically honored Ford Racing upgrades (hell it's adding to their profit sharing) AND YES A WARRANTY IS IMPORTANT!!!
some dealers will be OK with the warranty on FRPP parts IF THEY INSTALL THE PARTS, but they can easily tell you that it's not their problem because all FRPP parts that I have ever received had this sticker on them........

[IMG]local://upfiles/6591/1C986E76732B4C08B7D1D141F10560FD.jpg[/IMG]
Old 12-03-2005, 12:30 AM
z4racer

I called Ford Racing to ask about the warranty. They said it was a dealer by dealer issued and to contact my dealer. Since when does the dealer have anything to do
with the Ford warranty? I called my dealer anyway and they told me it woud "VOID" my warranty. I know I am not allowed to use that phase but it is a direct quote from the dealership.
Old 12-03-2005, 12:47 AM
MikeHawke
Retired MF Moderator

ORIGINAL: FREAKO

Dont worry about warranty issues.....read the following :

A common question is "Do aftermarket parts void my factory warranty?". The answer to this is no! In fact it is illegal for a manufacturer to do so unless they can prove that the added part specifically caused or contributed to the failure. Where is this stated?

Reference: MAGNUSON MOSS WARRANTY ACT - 15 U.S.C. 2302 (C)

This federal law regulates warranties for the protection of consumers. The essence of the law concerning aftermarket auto parts is that a vehicle manufacturer may not condition a written or implied warranty on the consumers using parts or services which are identified by brand, trade, or corporate name (such as the vehicle maker's brand) unless the parts or service are provided free of charge. The law means that the use of an aftermarket part alone is not cause for denying the warranty. However, the law's protection does not extend to aftermarket parts in situations where such parts actually caused the damage being claimed under the warranty. Further, consumers are advised to be aware of any specific terms or conditions stated in the warranty which may result in its being voided. The law states in relevant part:

“No warrantor of a consumer product may condition his written or implied warranty of such product on the consumers using, in connection with such product, any article or service (other than article or service provided without charge under the terms of the warranty) which is identified by brand, trade or corporate name...” (15 U.S.C. 2302(C)).

Sorry to double post but you have to realize that the above information can be interpreted in a different way. I believe it refers to stock replacement parts NOT performance parts. This law is in place in order to keep the manufacturers from saying you have to buy a replacement battery from Ford or windshield wipers, or a muffler, or brake pads, or headlights, or oil, etc. It refers to parts which are designed to operate as the equivalent of OEM parts, NOT parts which are designed to change the OEM specs or performance.

Saying that people should disregard warranty issues is irresponsible. There is definitely a gray area with things like a cat back or CAI that can't really harm anything but you can not substantially increase the performance of your vehicle beyond OEM specs and not assume some kind of responsibility if something goes wrong.

Generally speaking, if the modifications you have done could not directly have caused the malfunction, Ford will generally warranty the repairs but don't always count on it working that way. You can guarantee that if you have full exhaust and intake with an aggressive tune and your engine starts knowcking that they will, at least TRY to tell you to go fug yourself. Now, if your seatbelts don't retract or your stereo stops working, of course they are going to fix it.

I'm not sure exactly how much information the new computer stores but I'm sure the Dealer will know maximum injector pressures, max RPM, A/F ratios, etc. Therefore, even if you were to remove your tune from the computer and go back to the factory tune, there would still be evidence of the changes you made giving the manufacturer an "out".

It is a good idea to work with your dealer and get things in writing that certain mods, if installed properly, will not void your warranty. I did that with my '03 and never had a problem with warranty issues. However, I had to agree to certain concessions such as the fact that full exhaust would void the emissions warranty and such.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Ford Racing Performance Package