Notices
GT S197 General Discussion This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the V8 variation of the 2005 and newer Ford Mustang.

Question about oct.

Search this Thread

Old 12-02-2005, 05:44 PM
johney5

Default RE: Question about oct.

The higher the octane, the better your car will perform...its pretty simple! I've found that my car pings at high speed when using the recomended octane gas, and does not ping when using higher octane...it seems obvious.
Old 12-02-2005, 05:51 PM
Derf00
Gentleman's Relish

ohvey!

CA only uses their 'special' formulation in the Summer (lived there for 20 years) (as do some other states)... It consists of adding 10% of ethanol/methanol..don't remember but it's only from like June through November..

If the manual recommends 87, use 87. Unless your car is tuned to use higher octanes or you have a lot of miles, you will not see a performance gain on the 05/06 Stang, they are very computer controlled and thus even boltons without a tune will not have any benefit (let alone gas).

Go run it on a dyno if you don't believe it.

And yes, socal (Los Angeles) is known for street racing, it's not as bad as the movies (fast and stupid) portray it though...
Old 12-02-2005, 06:50 PM
Mister Roper
2nd Gear Member

87. The octane rating is designed/measured/confirmed as delivered from the pump to your vehicle, not prior to additives.
Old 12-02-2005, 06:57 PM
angcobra
4th Gear Member

If your car pings with the lower Octane, you will have better performance with the higher octane just because the computer is not retarding your timing. If the pings, the knock sensor will retard the timing, thus reducing power. If you have no pinging with the lower octane, you will not have better performance just from going to higher octane fuel.
ORIGINAL: johney5

The higher the octane, the better your car will perform...its pretty simple! I've found that my car pings at high speed when using the recomended octane gas, and does not ping when using higher octane...it seems obvious.
Old 12-02-2005, 06:59 PM
angcobra
4th Gear Member

You can now get race fuel leaded or unleaded.

ORIGINAL: chevykiller

THETICS - DO NOT PUT 87 OCTANE IN YOUR CAR!

Most of the people responding to your question DO NOT LIVE IN CALIFORNIA! Our gas sucks here because of all the additives the state puts in for our ridiculous emmisions requirements. Most other states 87 is equal to between our 89 & 91. You won't hurt your car using 89 but might ping if you tune your car and start doing any performance mods. We don't have 93 octane in california and 91 is our premium. (if you want to call it premium) You don't need to worry about 'frying' anything no matter what octane. If you ever use Race Fuel, then you'll have have to make some adjustments but that will be regarding your cats and 02 sensors.
Old 12-02-2005, 08:05 PM
Thetics
2nd Gear Member

Thanks for all the help everyone. Oh and just for the record my bro's audi is not turbo. its the 3.2 not the 1.8T

-Thetics

P.S. Ill try 91 and see if theres a difference in milage or performance. I Just wanted to make sure that its safe, I wasnt in it for a performance boost.
Old 12-05-2005, 10:17 PM
chevykiller
I ♥ Acer

ORIGINAL: angcobra

You can now get race fuel leaded or unleaded.

ORIGINAL: chevykiller

THETICS - DO NOT PUT 87 OCTANE IN YOUR CAR!

Most of the people responding to your question DO NOT LIVE IN CALIFORNIA! Our gas sucks here because of all the additives the state puts in for our ridiculous emmisions requirements. Most other states 87 is equal to between our 89 & 91. You won't hurt your car using 89 but might ping if you tune your car and start doing any performance mods. We don't have 93 octane in california and 91 is our premium. (if you want to call it premium) You don't need to worry about 'frying' anything no matter what octane. If you ever use Race Fuel, then you'll have have to make some adjustments but that will be regarding your cats and 02 sensors.
So your saying VP 110 leaded or VP 109 unleaded won't fry your cats & 02 sensors?
Old 12-05-2005, 11:37 PM
Vidgomd
2nd Gear Member

hii.. i have no cats so if i use race fuel at the track will it be better for perfomance or no?
but my o2 sensors are on my car though so will they fry?