Notices
GT S197 General Discussion This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the V8 variation of the 2005 and newer Ford Mustang.

HONEST ANSWERS TO THE SERVICE PROBLEMS....

Search this Thread

Old 12-05-2005, 02:23 AM
UhadMEatGT
2nd Gear Member

Default HONEST ANSWERS TO THE SERVICE PROBLEMS....

Ok, I have a Mustang GT vert in my garage that is my summer toy. I typically have always driven American cars as my daily vehicle, and the amounts of time they spend in the Service Department just arent acceptible anymore. While I feel that in the past 2-3 years the quality of materials and product as a whole have increased in a big way, because they seem to be trying to immulate the Japanese, I believe they still arent quite there yet. Many of my family members drive Honda, Nissan, Toyota, & Acura. None of them have the plagues that I have. Most of them just change the oil and fill it with gas. They load on miles with no problems and the quality still remains after high miles. I do have to have American Muscle in my garage no matter what. One of the only cars that I am considering that is American is the 05+ GT coupe 5 spd. I know the love of the car is there, but if it has issues I would rather buy one in a couple years as my toy and go ahead and get the reliable foreign car now. What kind of luck have you folks had with their Mustangs, what have been the issues, and what is your mileage? Thanks!!
Old 12-05-2005, 11:46 PM
LazrRd00GT
2nd Gear Member

Default RE: HONEST ANSWERS TO THE SERVICE PROBLEMS....

In my opinion, it is false that american cars are of lesser quality than Foreign cars. Take care of the car properly and it will take care of you. I own a 2000 gt vert and have friends that own jap traps and most of them say that their car always has a problem but still talk crap about american quality when my car has NEVER had even a fraction of the problems their cars have had. As for the 05 gt's; I haven't heard of any problems or defects other than the one that set the production back due to an engine problem that ford fixed immediately.
Old 12-06-2005, 04:46 PM
viking396
5th Gear Member

I've owned more of both sides than I can count. My previous car was an '04 Acura TL which while mechanically very good, the interior was a POS. Cheap clips holding the glove-box in, it vibrated and chattered real bad, 4 attempts to fix and it only got worse. They use Velcro to hold up the head-liner, yep, you read that right, friggin cheap lame Velcro tabs, small ones to boot, this fell down so many times I had to fix it myself, something the dealer couldn't do.

The rear deck rattled so bad you couldn't enjoy the DVD-Audio system the car had without wanting to bash your face through the windshield, it rattled that bad. The windows had this hard plastic guard that squeaked and rattled anytime it go hotter than 75 outside. In the Chicago area that's a lot during the summer.

The speakers in the dash weren't mounted from the factory, they were just plugged in and left there, they made more noise than you could with quarters rolling around the dash, 3 attempts to fix and finally they used ugly felt to fix it, the noise remained even after and I had to remove the ugly felt since it did no good anyway. Overall a very nice car to drive but for people who hate rattles and noises this was the worst car I've ever owned fit and finish wise.

I'm driving my winter beater right now while I store the Mustang, it's a 1993 Buick Park Avenue with over 100k on it, not a single rattle which helps me stay sane while knowing I'm not driving the Stang and also knowing the only other drivers of this car are blue hairs.

There are pros and cons to buying Japanese or American and quality wise I think many people tell themselves the Japanese make better cars, but in my experience this hasn't been the case. Both have been about equal for the past 10 years, just my experience and my humble opinion. I know people will disagree...
Old 12-06-2005, 05:31 PM
05SonicBlue
2nd Gear Member

I bought my '05 GT Coupe in Feb '05 and it has just over 6,000 miles on it. Routine maintenance has cost me ~$60 (2 oil changes, tires rotated, etc.). TSB issues I've had are the front suspension popping (fixed), gas tanking filling issue (fixed) and the cold exhaust rattle (not fixed). All of the TSB work has been under warranty and "cost" me 1/2 day of my car in the shop. Dealer wasn't able to duplicate the exhause rattle. Otherwise, I'm very happy with the car and so far I haven't had any fit/finish issues and I haven't been left stranded by the side of the road. I think it's the best value out there at its price point and is just a blast to drive: inexpensive to own and modify.

I recently bought an '06 Scion xB as my winter car. My windshield has cracked with less than 500miles on the odometer b/c it wasn't installed properly at the factory. Windshields are a known issue on the xB for at least 2 maybe 3 years now; you'd think they would have solved that issue a while back, but unfortunately, not.

These days, I think the quality and cost of ownership gap b/t Japanese and American is mostly closed shut. The one area where Japanese cars win, though, is resale value, which may be the tipping point for a lot of people.

Old 12-06-2005, 06:54 PM
millergt
1st Gear Member

The one thing I have notice about the GT is it is put together to be made quickly. This saves in the production process but I'm hoping everything will hold together well in the long run. I do love the car though. In comparison to the other vehicles I own. My 1999 crew cab powerstroke ford seems to be put together really well and have had very little issues with it. It's a great all around truck. Very durable. My 1997 BMW 540 is a very solid car. very few rattles and such, BUT, it is a maintenance nightmare. It has so many options and so much electronics that I have not had one year of ownership go by where I have not had to fix something. It is usually associated with the CE light. This from a $60,000 dollar car. I also have a 1957 chevy. All original with 67,000 miles on it. I drive it only a few hundred miles a year but I never have any problems with it and know it will start everytime. As for motorcyles I buy Hondas. Always have. Right now I own a 2004 cbr1000rr. I never have any problems with honda bikes. This may torch a few of you who like to buy only american but Harleys just don't cut it for me. The rides I have taken with my buddies who own Harleys always end with one of their bikes breaking down.

Good luck
Old 12-07-2005, 03:14 AM
UhadMEatGT
2nd Gear Member

I agree with the Honda motorcycles. I have owned about every brand, but Honda is the only one that I do nothing but oil changes and gas fill ups. Every other has given me some issues. I am very happy with where the American car is going, and though I realize that ALL cars will have issues, I need something besides a nightmare. Buick seems to do well as one of you stated. We sold me dads 87 Park Ave with 300K and no major replacements. It just seems that even with high mileage the doors still close like new , etc on the families foriegn cars. I agree and disagree with the statement that the how you take care of your car, decides how it will last. I am so **** on care and upkeep, including all preventative maintenace, and only Mobile 1 oil. Unfortunately, my truck has been a POS. 33K on it and it has a new tranny, replace the driveshaft twice, new a/c compressor, new bearings and pinion in eaton posi rear end, new timing chain tensioner, new interior door panel, new gauge cluster, new battery, new rotors, etc. I did like the newer Mustang I drove. It is beautiful, more leg room than previous, and a high fun factor. It is probably 1 of two American cars I may consider, but after I drove the new Eclipse GT with the 6 speed the other night......It is probably #1 on my daily driver list as of now. My Mustang will still be my fun toy. This thing was screaming fast, huge leg room for driver/passenger (Im 6'5), great options, 18 wheels, and drove smooth as silk. Very fun. Thanks for the input, because it is making me keep the GT on my list as a daily....if their prices get reasonable soon. They can only hold them high for so long, IMO.
Old 12-07-2005, 08:44 AM
DAVE05GT
2nd Gear Member

My 82 S-10 is more reliable than my Mustang. But I love my Mustang, S-10....not so much. And same as the other guys, my experience with Honda's hasn't been great either.
Old 12-07-2005, 12:59 PM
delurker
3rd Gear Member

I love my Honda motorcycle - if Honda, Toyota, Acura, Lexus, or one of the German manufacturers would make a RWD V8 car for under $30K I'd buy one, but as it is, I'm quite happy with my Mustang. Only issue I have so far is filling the tank, and holding the fuel nozzle upside down when I fill works fine to get around that.
Old 12-07-2005, 02:56 PM
millergt
1st Gear Member

wierd, why do you have to hold the nozzle upside down.
Old 12-07-2005, 03:50 PM
MikeHawke
Retired MF Moderator

I only have 1,000 miles on my '06 GT but so far, so good. No sign of any problems yet. *crosses fingers*

My '03 GT was the worst piece of **** I have ever owned

Quick Reply: HONEST ANSWERS TO THE SERVICE PROBLEMS....