Notices
GT S197 General Discussion This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the V8 variation of the 2005 and newer Ford Mustang.

How can I TURN DOWN the sound?

Search this Thread

Old 12-08-2005, 03:44 PM
chevykiller
I ♥ Acer

Default How can I TURN DOWN the sound?

I'm rebuilding my motor and I'm putting in a new set of cams to bring my shift point to around 8K. My car is LOUD now with JBL long tube headers, H-pipe (no cats), and axel backs with Roush tips. Once I put in the cams, the car is going to be insanely loud and many of our tracks won't let me run cuz of their stupid decibel rule. I have heard of a couple products that get mounted in front of the Roush Tips that actually tone down the sound without losing flow. I haven't been able to locate these products cause I don't know their specific names.

Does anyone know of anything that will help?

Thanks.

[IMG]local://upfiles/24802/315ED07E00914A7F9CCE5FB4B90A3CB8.jpg[/IMG]

[IMG]local://upfiles/24802/BEC3B230FEDE46E4BA45247E7389589C.jpg[/IMG]
Old 12-08-2005, 04:04 PM
spyder7724
4th Gear Member

Default RE: How can I TURN DOWN the sound?

call flowmaster or dynatech they can make you a muffler that gives the sound level you want. which cams are going to use? do you have the specs? i'm looking for cams but i want them for a N/A motor possibly with N2O later.
Old 12-08-2005, 04:30 PM
chevykiller
I ♥ Acer

ORIGINAL: spyder7724

call flowmaster or dynatech they can make you a muffler that gives the sound level you want. which cams are going to use? do you have the specs? i'm looking for cams but i want them for a N/A motor possibly with N2O later.
Definitely not BBR!...LOL

Seriously, I'll call Flowmaster (THANKS). We're going over all the specs tomorrow for the new motor. I'll come back to this thread on saturday and post all the specs on the cams for ya.
Old 12-08-2005, 04:53 PM
delurker
3rd Gear Member

I went back to the stock cans after I got JBA longtubes. Way too loud with the Bassani's.
Old 12-08-2005, 06:07 PM
chevykiller
I ♥ Acer

I'll get a new muffler made if I have to but I'm concerned about not getting the ariflow with something made to dampen sound. Somewhere I read that there's an accesory to your exhaust that dampens sound. I can't recall the name of the product so I'm stuck. I'm hoping someone knows specifically about this. I'd like to keep my same set-up and just dampen it a little.

delurker - I need the cams cause I have a Vortech set-up and need the rpms. I thought about switching to KB or Saleen but have too much invested in the Vortech now to be able to recap a fair return. Otherwise I would skip the cams for the sound reason. There has GOT to be something out there to address this problem because there are several built GT's around the country running drag who have cams without the insane sound level.
Old 12-08-2005, 08:06 PM
sowaxeman
Retired Moderator

The Roush tips stick out the back like the Saleens don't they?? I would think turn down tips would give you less of a db reading - but keep the flow, and even improve the low end rumble
Old 12-09-2005, 12:16 AM
LesteR723
5th Gear Member

flowmaster delta flow 40's
Old 12-09-2005, 10:18 PM
The Ghost
3rd Gear Member

This is kind of old school (but hey our stangs look that way too) but has anyone looked at something like the Supertrap mufflers. They have removable disk that allow you to taylor the sound to your preference. They flow very high and are stainless. Might look kind of cool with a couple sticking out the back of the GT. I ran them on a 64' Ford P-up I used to own, looked very nice showing through the cutouts I made in front of the rear wheels. And If you just need to get a little off the top with no performance issues they make collector noise baffles. They fit right into the end of your header collector and you have a wide range of different baffles to get the Db you are after, they are cone shaped and different lengths have different sound qualities. Summit Racing sells them as well as the Supertrap mufflers.
Old 12-10-2005, 06:28 PM
delurker
3rd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: chevykiller
...delurker - I need the cams cause I have a Vortech set-up and need the rpms. I thought about switching to KB or Saleen but have too much invested in the Vortech now to be able to recap a fair return. Otherwise I would skip the cams for the sound reason. There has GOT to be something out there to address this problem because there are several built GT's around the country running drag who have cams without the insane sound level.
I think you may have misread my post - I was referring to the mufflers (cans, not cams ).
Old 12-10-2005, 07:20 PM
dan
4th Gear Member

get a catted midpipe

Quick Reply: How can I TURN DOWN the sound?