Notices
GT S197 General Discussion This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the V8 variation of the 2005 and newer Ford Mustang.

Dead Battery

Search this Thread

Old 12-11-2005, 10:36 PM
rotorr22
1st Gear Member

Default Dead Battery

[:@]Has anyone experienced a problem with your battery going dead unexpectedly? I start my '06 GT and/or drive it about once a week since it is stored in my Mother's garage. Went to start it today and the battery was stone dead. The car is 3 mos old with 200 miles on it. Going to call the dealer and see how many amps are normally drawn for the theft system. I can then put a multimeter on it and see if there is something drawing excess amperage. Perhaps the battery is junk. Strange thing is that the battery has never been a bit low between start attempts!
Old 12-12-2005, 02:14 AM
hawgman
I ♥ Acer

Default RE: Dead Battery

Actually I have read several people complain about their battery going dead in an unreasonably quick amount of time.
Old 12-12-2005, 10:20 PM
rotorr22
1st Gear Member

Prior to leaving for a business trip, I put it on a 2 AMP charger. When I get back, I'm going to see how many AMPS the car is drawing off the battery with the key off. It would be nice to hear from some of the other stanger's that have experienced the problem.
Old 12-19-2005, 02:25 PM
06YellowGT

Once a battery goes completely dead, it's life expectancy is shortened greatly. Bad things happen internally to batteries at very low states of charge, and even worse can happen if left in a low state of charge for a long time.

If your battery has gone dead more then once or twice, I'd try to get a new one under warranty from your Ford dealer. They may just recharge it, but if you are nice and press the issue, you may get a new one.

Also, I mentioned in another post, there are two battery types for the Mustang. Standard battery is a Gr. 96R 52Amp Hour, Optional battery, included with security system, is a Gr. 40R 60Ah. Both are interchangable in any Mustang, but you may want to consider upgrading. It will not solve the problem, but may mask it by giving you a bit more reserve in the battery.

Old 12-26-2005, 03:12 PM
WindveilTan05

My battery just went completely dead after the car sat in my garage for 2 weeks. I've got 3,000 miles on the car now, it does have the factory security system. The car was unlocked in my garage when the battery went dead, so the security system wasn't activated? LOL
Old 12-26-2005, 06:25 PM
rotorr22
1st Gear Member

Windveiltan05,

I'm now convinced something is going on with these dead batteries. I smell a TSB in the air!
Old 12-28-2005, 03:45 AM
WindveilTan05

I smell a TSB on it's way too. In the meantime I guess I'll keep the jumper cables handy!
Old 01-30-2006, 06:44 PM
calvic

Well my battery went dead after 14 days on my 06 GT after setting 14 day in the garage. Pissed me off. My Dodge truck sets
out side for months and fires right up. Ordered a battery tender today, but this just aint right!

JJ[sm=smiley35.gif]
Old 01-30-2006, 09:03 PM
JJ_Stang
2nd Gear Member

I read somewhere that it may be the Shaker Amps. I have an 06 GT and have left the car for 3-4 weeks with no problems but I have removed my Skipper and all of its parts. They said to make sure that you turn your radio off before turning off the car.
Old 01-31-2006, 10:46 AM
sdmahr
1st Gear Member

I went out to take my 05' GT for a spin and my battery was DEAD.....and I"m talking DEAD ! ! Its been a long time since I've had a battery that dead ! It was like I had left the headlights on dead ! When I was recharging it the charger was swinging back and forth for the first couple of hours....and it finally settled down and charged. I didn't go to FORD for a replacement.....just bought a new high-end battery and replaced it.

Hopefully this will take care of it. I drive it once a week or so. I may hook up a trickle charger to keep it topped off. Sounds like we are having way to much trouble amongst this group. A car should be able to sit a long time without suffering a dead battery.

Quick Reply: Dead Battery