Notices
GT S197 General Discussion This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the V8 variation of the 2005 and newer Ford Mustang.

Removing GT Badge question & Car Pics

Search this Thread

Old 12-12-2005, 03:21 PM
ch7656

Default Removing GT Badge question & Car Pics

Hi All-
First time poster here and yes I did a search first, with a couple different terms and came up with nothing…

A little background:
I drive something other than a Mustang but I have unlimited use of my neighbors new Mustang. It’s quite a car…my neighbor lives overseas 11 months out of the year so the car just sits in the garage next door…he tells me to use it as if it were my own. So on occasion when I’m in the mood I hop in and take it for a spin…really a lot of fun to drive and great to have access to such a machine. Out of respect I obviously take very good care of it and keep it mellow.

Enough though…here’s my question, was just chatting with him via email and he expressed an interest in removing the GT badges on the side when he gets here in a couple months, figured I would help him out and do it for him ahead of time…I’ve debadged plenty of cars over the years…but not being overly familiar with the new GT I was curious is there were holes behind the emblems? Traditionally Fords have used emblems that do in fact utilize holes so I assume that is the case here as well?

Side notes:
in case you’re wondering the car was originally supposed to go overseas…and it is much less expensive to import a GT vs. a Saleen given the GT’s lower MSRP. So you buy a GT build it up…and you save yourself tens-of-thousands in import tax vs the Saleen. This is also the reason the car is currently rolling on 18’s…didn’t want to try and source 19” or 20” tires overseas (or lose HP)…but in that the car is staying here now 20’s are going on. Funny thing he hasn’t even driven the car in its current form…I had to go down and pick it up from the performance shop for him…I snapped a couple pics and emailed them to him so he could at least see the car.

At any rate TIA for the help…great forum you have here.

Here are four of the pics I took...being you guys are all Mustang fans figured you would enjoy them

Old 12-12-2005, 03:39 PM
chevykiller
I ♥ Acer

Default RE: Removing GT Badge question & Car Pics

Nice car but please don't ruin it with 20's. There are two small holes behind the GT badges so if you remove them you need to replace it with another badge(s). You don't need to match the holes - just cover them with whatever new badge you put on.
Old 12-12-2005, 05:14 PM
fairlane292
5th Gear Member

Yup, two holes. One round, one kinda rectangular. Removal is easy with hair dryer and fishing line. Saleen badge probably fits in original holes; Saleen tech will confirm for you.
Old 12-12-2005, 06:20 PM
Loomis
1st Gear Member

20 lbs test fishing line and a little pressure and they will come right off. Did mine in about 10 mins. oh yeah 20's would like nice. I have set on mine and they set it off.
Old 12-12-2005, 08:38 PM
ch7656

Thanks for the info guys...same technique I use...heat is the key (along with the string)
Old 12-12-2005, 08:38 PM
ch7656

Nice car but please don't ruin it with 20's.
It’s funny I go back and forth on that…I’m in SoCal been into cars my whole life so I get the “big wheel” thing. I’ve had 19’s & 20’s on BMW’s in the past and my current car, an E-Class MBZ…is sitting on 19’s…but at same time bigger is not always better and a compromise must be struck between aesthetics, ride quality and performance (both in terms of handling and acceleration)

Point being…with this Mustang part of me says, 20’s would look great and part of me thinks the current 18’s with the larger rubber look muscular, purposeful and strong. No arguing the merits of the performance with the 18’s especially considering they’re BBS (light and very strong). So the only reason to move to 20’s is aesthetics…and that’s so subjective it’s almost not worth discussing.

Saw an S281 today…lime green with chrome Saleen 20’s…ignoring the car color and the chrome and just focusing on the wheels relevant to the car, it looked nice.

The mustang is a big car and with the Saleen kit it grows all that much more….sometimes those 18’s look disproportionate and other times (to my eye) they look perfect (for the reasons previously stated). Oh well, not my decision…
Old 12-13-2005, 12:58 AM
MikeHawke
Retired MF Moderator

damn! []

that thing is cool!!!!!