Notices
GT S197 General Discussion This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the V8 variation of the 2005 and newer Ford Mustang.

Zex Kit Install

Search this Thread

Old 12-28-2005, 11:52 AM
DROCKOFTX
2nd Gear Member

Default RE: Zex Kit Install

GotYo I just reinstalled my kit and realized I told you wrong. The wire with the smooth casing coming out of the switch is the positive. Sorry I found out after I hooked it up backwards this time. I just got the purge kit from zex last weekend along with a bottle heater. It looks like a fairly easy straightforward install. For the past couple months I have just been leaving it in the lines. If you don't have a purge you can always unscrew the line from the bottl when you close it to reease the pressure.
Old 12-28-2005, 12:08 PM
GotYoNacho
1st Gear Member

DRock - I ended up having access to a multimeter so I double checked the polarity and the line with the writing was the positive, so what you told me was right. I had to take the switch out temporarily, but when I put it back in I'll check it again.

I'm going to look into the bottle warmer and purge. The most annoying thing about modding a car to me is running electrical lines. Hard to keep neat, and a pain to do it correctly. Looks like I'll be running some more wire to the trunk.
Old 12-28-2005, 01:18 PM
DROCKOFTX
2nd Gear Member

I'm with you 100%. I mounted the control unit on the plastic box that came with my C&L CAI. There is a hole right at the top of the drivers side wheel well you can run the wires from the control unit through. I went through the same hole that the hood release cable runs through in the fire wall. It hides it pretty well. All I need is to pick up some wire loom and it should look clean. I'll post some pics when I get home if you would like. I am going to go ahead and hard wire the activation swith on the dash when I put in the heater and purge switches. Have you had the dash off on yours yet? Any pointers you can give me?
Old 12-28-2005, 02:24 PM
GotYoNacho
1st Gear Member

ORIGINAL: DROCKOFTX

I'm with you 100%. I mounted the control unit on the plastic box that came with my C&L CAI. There is a hole right at the top of the drivers side wheel well you can run the wires from the control unit through. I went through the same hole that the hood release cable runs through in the fire wall. It hides it pretty well. All I need is to pick up some wire loom and it should look clean. I'll post some pics when I get home if you would like. I am going to go ahead and hard wire the activation swith on the dash when I put in the heater and purge switches. Have you had the dash off on yours yet? Any pointers you can give me?
I did the same with the control unit. I wasn't sure if it would hold well over time, thought maybe vibration might make it loose, but seems like it'll work great. I ended up using the hood release cable grommet as well. Worked good. I ran the nitrous line under the car and put it under the plastic molding where the fuel line runs. I wasn't sure exactly where to run up the firewall because I didn't want to be too close to exhaust or get tangled up in suspension stuff. The only part of the dash I've had off is the center console and the radio out (to install my Ipod adapter deal). When I go to wire a heater and/or purge, I'll probably run another wire right off the battery (12g or so) and run it in the hood release and connect the heater and purge power wires to it under the radio where I could get to it somewhat easily in the future if need be. There are some good grounds around there, hopefully it's not a bad idea to ground there.
Old 12-28-2005, 05:15 PM
DROCKOFTX
2nd Gear Member

Sounds good I will probably do the same. When I reinstalled it I just hooked to the bottom of that plastic cover with zip ties. It was driving me nuts trying to run it inside of it with no decent lift. My girlfriends dad owns a shop and I am going to use on of his lifts this weekend. I've never installed gears I am going to try to get him to teach me how and put some either 3.73 or 3.90 in.
Old 12-30-2005, 01:08 PM
GotYoNacho
1st Gear Member

I need replacement jets for .030 and .046 for the 100 shot.

I tried ordering from Zex.com with no luck. And I can't seem to find where I can get these jets. Any suggestions?

Oh, and would 16' worth of line work from going from the trunk to the engine. I found a local shop that has 16' 4an, but not 18'. And I can't order from Zex.
Old 12-30-2005, 01:33 PM
DROCKOFTX
2nd Gear Member

16' should probably work. I had a few extra feet in the trunk after my install. You can order the jets from zex. go to the web site and search for "jets". The first option takes you to a page where you can order them.
Old 12-30-2005, 01:40 PM
GotYoNacho
1st Gear Member

16' should probably work. I had a few extra feet in the trunk after my install. You can order the jets from zex. go to the web site and search for "jets". The first option takes you to a page where you can order them.
I tried to order from Zex. I'm sitting on Day 9 with an order receipt, no charge on my card, no package (using fed ex 2nd day). No response when I call them. No response from email I sent them. Makes me wonder.
Old 12-30-2005, 01:48 PM
DROCKOFTX
2nd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: GotYoNacho

I tried to order from Zex. I'm sitting on Day 9 with an order receipt, no charge on my card, no package (using fed ex 2nd day). No response when I call them. No response from email I sent them. Makes me wonder.
Wow. That sucks. I have spoke to their tech before and they were helpful. They are a division of comp cams if I remember right. I don't know if these jets are universal to other systems. You might try calling NOS and see if they are compatable. Let me know what you find out just in case I ever lose mine.
Old 01-06-2007, 11:14 PM
airbillster
1st Gear Member

Installed my ZEX kit today with the remote bottle opener, almost, I want to run the electrics through the console and in the glove box but don't see an easy way to remove the dash or console to run the wires under. Does anyone have a how to on this?
Thanks in advance!