Notices
GT S197 General Discussion This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the V8 variation of the 2005 and newer Ford Mustang.

Zex Kit Install

Search this Thread

Old 12-14-2005, 08:49 PM
GotYoNacho
1st Gear Member

Default Zex Kit Install

I got an install question for the Zex kit. I'm planning on using the cigarette lighter switch. Is there a polarity and I have to be careful which wire is positive and which is negative? Got the kit used, so I'm not sure which wire is which.
Old 12-15-2005, 11:47 AM
DROCKOFTX
2nd Gear Member

Default RE: Zex Kit Install

I assumed the one with lettering or a different casing (can't remember now was positive. The othe just cap it off. It grounds through the black wire coming out of the control unit.
Old 12-15-2005, 12:47 PM
Deleted User
I ♥ Acer

Default [Deleted]

[Deleted by Admins]
Old 12-15-2005, 02:43 PM
DROCKOFTX
2nd Gear Member

I am running a 100shot. You should be fine. You will need to make the neccessary timing adjustments. I think retard 2 degrees for a 75 shot. It says in the manual. Since it is a wet kit it will provide the required fuel enrichment. If you go over a hundred shot you should use a colder plug. It really wouldn't hurt even with the 75 to do this. I am waiting for my plugs to arrive now but it seems fine without to be honest. I would suggest you dyno and make sure your air/fuel looks safe after you put it on as well.
Old 12-15-2005, 02:43 PM
GotYoNacho
1st Gear Member

You're not running nitrous all the time. 75 shot will be fine long term use. I would still get on a dyno, or a wideband o2, to make sure a/f looks good. Listen for detonation, if you hear it, stop using till you cure it. If you want to go bigger than 75, you will need colder spark plugs and possible more fuel.

"Nitrous hurts your engine" - so does stop and go driving. Does that mean you don't do it?

Gas er up and go.
Old 12-15-2005, 02:44 PM
GotYoNacho
1st Gear Member

ORIGINAL: DROCKOFTX

I am running a 100shot. You should be fine. You will need to make the neccessary timing adjustments. I think retard 2 degrees for a 75 shot. It says in the manual. Since it is a wet kit it will provide the required fuel enrichment. If you go over a hundred shot you should use a colder plug. It really wouldn't hurt even with the 75 to do this. I am waiting for my plugs to arrive now but it seems fine without to be honest. I would suggest you dyno and make sure your air/fuel looks safe after you put it on as well.
I'm almost positive it's 0 retard for 75, 2 for 100.
Old 12-15-2005, 02:46 PM
DROCKOFTX
2nd Gear Member

I looked in the manual. You are correct.
Old 12-15-2005, 02:52 PM
GotYoNacho
1st Gear Member

Drock - are you running a 100 shot on the stock plugs? Just retarding the timing from what 2500rpm-up? I was thinking of running a 100 out of the box. I have an Xcal2 to work with.

Also, my used kit didn't come with the tap. Is it a starndard size so I can pick one up at Lowe's or something? I wasn't sure if the NPT meant a special threading or anything.
Old 12-15-2005, 03:02 PM
DROCKOFTX
2nd Gear Member

NPT= national pipe thread. It standard American measeuremeant. It is a tapered thread and you should be able to get it at Lowe's. Yes I am running 100hp on stock plugs right now. The manual says it isn't neccesary to go to colder plugs until 125hp but I am going to just to be extra safe. It can't hurt. When I get home I will look at the tap and let you know what size the tap is. You wont need a tap if you don't have an aftermarket intake.

As far as the timing. I had a Chipmaster at diablosport send me a tune. I asked them to retard it across the board to be safe. The horsepowe lost from 2deg is so minimal I thought it would be better to do it across the board. A matter of personal preferance. I am guessing by this post you know you should not spray it <2500rpm.
Old 12-16-2005, 08:28 PM
jtscuba02
2nd Gear Member

hey drockoftx, im pretty sure its an 1/8 npt . and its possible to run more than a 100 shot safely the ht-1 plugs. but i wouldnt run the n2o without reprograming. spend the money on the dyno time and make sure you are getting all the kit can offer. better to be safe than sorry. jt

Quick Reply: Zex Kit Install