Notices
GT S197 General Discussion This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the V8 variation of the 2005 and newer Ford Mustang.

Long Tubes

Search this Thread

Old 12-18-2005, 08:52 PM
F00Mustang
3rd Gear Member

Default Long Tubes

I going to be getting the JBA LOng Tube headers and off road h-pipe., but I can't decide on which finish to get.
Any input would help me decide.
Old 12-18-2005, 09:58 PM
hawgman
I ♥ Acer

Default RE: Long Tubes

I wouldn't get JBA personally. But given a choice of the three I would probably go with ceramic coated.
Old 12-19-2005, 12:08 AM
spyder7724
4th Gear Member

i agree with hawgman jba not my choice but get them coated if you do go with them. the htc/jet hot coatings are actually proven to be worth a small amount of hp + you will reduce the under hood heat and that can also help with hp. i bought hooker l/t's because to me it didn't make sense to buy a expensive stainless header then coat it. the mild steel headers will last forever with the htc coating on them. hooker l/t allow the use of the stock h-pipe by cutting off the converters(4" past the hanger). i also used 2 of the factory stainless 360 degree exhaust clamps on the collector to h-pipe connection instead of enlarging the h-pipe to slip over the headers. it makes it easy to do in your garage without the need of a pipe expander + it looks factory and doesn't mess up the header or pipe when tightened.
Old 12-19-2005, 12:26 AM
mash2k
2nd Gear Member

Did you retain the stock cats? I really want to go LT on mine but I want to stay smog legal.
Old 12-19-2005, 12:26 AM
mash2k
2nd Gear Member

Did you retain the stock cats? I really want to go LT on mine but I want to stay smog legal.
Old 12-19-2005, 12:48 AM
Thump_rrr

I went with the JBA Longtubes with the Titanium Ceramic Coating and the Catted H-Pipe. You need to install a set of Steeda engine mounts if you don't want them to rub against the frame rails or the steering column. They look and sound great but they aren't cheap and a bit of a pain to install.
Old 12-19-2005, 03:16 AM
F00Mustang
3rd Gear Member

You need to install a set of Steeda engine mounts if you don't want them to rub against the frame rails or the steering column.
Oh WOW!, I did not know that and it is nowhere on JBA's website. Has anyone else had any problems like that with Long tub header going on.
Old 12-19-2005, 04:26 AM
andyman
4th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: F00Mustang

You need to install a set of Steeda engine mounts if you don't want them to rub against the frame rails or the steering column.
Oh WOW!, I did not know that and it is nowhere on JBA's website. Has anyone else had any problems like that with Long tub header going on.
I talked to a guy with the jba long tubes and he did have a rattle...I told him about the motor mount issues and I think he was having some rattles elsewhere though.
Old 12-19-2005, 11:42 PM
spyder7724
4th Gear Member

yeah mine hits the steering column. it's a little unnerving when i'm making a hard right turn and the steering feels like it's locking. it has slowed me way down on the turns! i'm going to get some urethane mounts when i install the k/member and stuff. it scared the sh*t out of me the first time it did it. hooker never said anything about it either!!
i have no cats.... i'm a dog person.
Old 12-20-2005, 03:54 AM
delurker
3rd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: F00Mustang

The instructions recommend installing heavy duty motor mounts. I don't know if mine would have rubbed, because I had a set of Steeda motor mounts installed along with the headers.

Quick Reply: Long Tubes