Notices
GT S197 General Discussion This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the V8 variation of the 2005 and newer Ford Mustang.

New car choices....

Old 12-21-2005, 05:01 PM
MJDGator

Default New car choices....

Hey everyone. I am new to this board and had some general questions. I know that I am on a Mustang biased area but I am looking for honest opinions. I am stuck between either a Subaru STI (05) and the Mustang GT (06 or 07). I have a WRX right now and swore that I would never go back to 2wd. But ever since I can remember I have always loved the Mustang sound (going back to the 5.0 days). I think they are the best sounding car going.....well maybe Ferarri has a case for THE best but thats not happening on my salary. Does anyone have experience driving both cars? If so what are your thoughts? Does anyone know of any changes to the 2007 Mustang line up? One big bonus for the stang is that my wife's grandfather retired from Ford so I can get in on his special pricing. Does Ford restrict what cars are available for their employee pricing plan? If you were going to spend $1200 on mods what would be considered essential. For example on the WRX's/STI's turbo back exhausts usually are the best base mod. What does the Mustang stand to gain with a Cat back vs Axle Back? Are the cat backs worth the extra $100? Of course if I could scrape the $5k together I would love to get the Saleen SC. Thanks for your input.
Old 12-21-2005, 05:06 PM
Sonic3v
4th Gear Member

Default RE: New car choices....

with intake and a tuner you can easily get 280-290rwhp, the 05 mustangs already have 2.5" echasut so you wont see much gains there. BUT...those STi's are fast as ****...and you can get the car on an A or X plan if you qualify.
Old 12-21-2005, 06:12 PM
ren274u
3rd Gear Member

1200 i would do an intake/tuner, off road pipe, and pulleys, and electric water pump should get you over 300rwhp
Old 12-21-2005, 06:14 PM
Getaway
2nd Gear Member

I'd of course say buy the stang. Here's a few reasons why...

Stang looks better
V8 sounds better than I4
RWD is an enjoyable driving experience (how often will you be off road anyways?)
Both cars are fast, but the Stang has a more powerful feel and V8's are less...'twitchy'...than a boosted I4.
Last, but certainly not least....no one ever says the Mustang is "peppy"...powerful, brut, raw...but never "peppy"
Old 12-21-2005, 06:25 PM
doobs
4th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: Getaway

I'd of course say buy the stang. Here's a few reasons why...

Stang looks better
V8 sounds better than I4
RWD is an enjoyable driving experience (how often will you be off road anyways?)
Both cars are fast, but the Stang has a more powerful feel and V8's are less...'twitchy'...than a boosted I4.
Last, but certainly not least....no one ever says the Mustang is "peppy"...powerful, brut, raw...but never "peppy"

Its not an I-4, it's a boxer motor. [8D].

Of course your gonna hear from us to get the 05. My buddy has a 02 Wrx and I love it.
Old 12-21-2005, 06:49 PM
Getaway
2nd Gear Member

oops...I knew that...really.
I do like the sti as well...I wouldn't buy the standard wrx though.
I actually had this same problem when car shopping. The body style of the new Stang plus the power increase is what sold me. The Suburu is so plain looking.
Old 12-21-2005, 07:02 PM
trey929
2nd Gear Member

yeah i like the wrx's my friend has one, but the style isn't all that appealing.
Old 12-21-2005, 07:05 PM
Lee Willis
2nd Gear Member

Well, you live in Clearwater, so you don't really need the 4-wheel drive, like you would if you lived in Michigan.

Nothing sounds like a good V8, particularly the Ford, the firing order is better for a rich sound than on GM cars and the GT just has a very sweet sound.
Old 12-22-2005, 02:03 AM
smedin
1st Gear Member

I just traded a 2004 BMW 330Ci in for an '06 GT, and I couldn't be more impressed. The GT does a damn good imitation of the BMW's perfect handling/ride balance (I can't even believe I just said that) for being $14k cheaper. I highly recommend it. BTW, I was cross-shopping an EVO IX, and a used CTS-V, and I am completely pleased with my choice.

Next: Lowering springs and dampers...
Old 12-23-2005, 05:31 PM
quiksilva
1st Gear Member

MJDgator-
Mustang, all the way!
I traded in a STi for my Mustang GT.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: New car choices....