Notices
GT S197 General Discussion This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the V8 variation of the 2005 and newer Ford Mustang.

Gauge Pods???

Search this Thread

Old 12-24-2005, 03:10 AM
chevykiller
I ♥ Acer

Default RE: Gauge Pods???

Yes - I don't use a wideband only cause my car gets on the dyno regularly and I use the Mafia for exact readings. I actually race my car and only care about boost so the a/f for me is just for looks and so the boost gauge doesn't get lonely. I don't have the time nor desire to be reading gauges (except RPM) when I'm racing.

And YES - ANYONE who recommends you should buy ANY tape down dash pod should not be listened to. Common sense, you don't want to use anything that is attached with double sided tape. In my opinion, only the pillar pods look good and fluid with the interior but everyone has their opinions. Get what YOU think looks good.

BTW - no matter what pod you go with, you can get the gauges to fit it as 99% of all gauges come in 2 sizes. (and 99% of pods come in the same 2 sizes)
Old 12-24-2005, 10:42 AM
hawgman
I ♥ Acer

He is talking about the CDC center dash tape down pod that stalian posted the link for.
Trust me, the SOS gauges are not tape down. They are a full A Pillar replacement, nothing tape about them. They are rivited on the pillar.
Old 12-24-2005, 03:43 PM
Twister086
2nd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: one_focused_svt

will these fit in those pods you mentioned, 7 Color Gauges oh and also please school me on the differance between wideband and narrow, thanks
hey focus_svt, the difference between the two types of mixture control is that a narrowband will tell your computer if its rich or lean by the amount of oxygen in your exhaust stream. it cant tell you exactly how rich or lean, just that it is... thats why if you see a airfuel guage how bounces from rich to lean, your seeing the computer constantly changing the mixture because it doesnt know exactly where it should be... a wideband oxygen sensor is a completely different oxygen sensor that can be mounted in the same place as a narrow band oxygen sensor (preferably as close to the top of the exhaust stream as possible to allow quicker heating and more accurate reading) the thing that makes a wideband so good is that the sensor samples the amount of exhaust gas and can specifically tell your guage or computer exactly what your a/f ratio is. which means the computer deosnt ahve to constantly adjust injector pulse once it finds its target... i heard that SCT was eventually going to realease a wideband piggy back that plugs right into your aux data logging port (at the top of the tuner) and can be data logged with your laptop software... i have been holding off on the purchase of the dynojet wideband kit because i wanted to get the SCT version (just for ease of use). i will try to email them and see how its coming with that and if they dont answer i guess ill just get the dynojet and hardwire it. my pypes hpipe has a wideband bung preinstalled

hope this info is helpful
Old 12-24-2005, 03:51 PM
chevykiller
I ♥ Acer

ORIGINAL: hawgman

He is talking about the CDC center dash tape down pod that stalian posted the link for.
Trust me, the SOS gauges are not tape down. They are a full A Pillar replacement, nothing tape about them. They are rivited on the pillar.

+1 - I was only talking about tape down pods. The SOS are VERY good ones also. In fact, most all of the pillar pods are good.
Old 12-25-2005, 09:07 PM
one_focused_svt
3rd Gear Member

sweet guys thanks for the help!
Old 12-26-2005, 12:10 AM
chrisc
5th Gear Member

are the pillar gauge pods made out of the same material (or at least look like the same material) as the rest of the interior?
Old 12-26-2005, 08:26 PM
Fourth Horseman
2nd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: chrisc
are the pillar gauge pods made out of the same material (or at least look like the same material) as the rest of the interior?
I don't know about the actual makeup of the plastic, but they typically have some grain molded into the plastic that resembles the grain of the plastic on the factory interior pieces. For my car I got a can of spray paint from Ford that is the color of my interior. I took my A-pillar cover off, mounted the dual gauge pod onto it and then spray painted them together so that they matched perfectly. The result was very nice and looks about as close to factory as I think I could have achieved.
Old 12-26-2005, 09:24 PM
hawgman
I ♥ Acer

ORIGINAL: chrisc

The Speed of Sound pods are made out of the exact material that the A Piller is made from. It is a complete replacement piece that starts life as a factory A Piller cover.
Old 12-26-2005, 10:58 PM
allfyre
3rd Gear Member

A snake's nipples provide traction. Like studded tires.