Notices
GT S197 General Discussion This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the V8 variation of the 2005 and newer Ford Mustang.

What order?

Search this Thread

Old 12-27-2005, 02:42 AM
Hufenstang
4th Gear Member

Default What order?

hey all i have a 05 gt and havent done anything to it yet, have 2 grand saved up now and looking to do some performance mods to it and was just wondering what you guys would suggest? lot of people say cai for the first thing some say gears others say headers.. i was looking into getting the SLP LOUDMOUTH AXLEBACK, PYPES OFF ROAD H-PIPE 05/06 MUSTANG GT, JLT SERIES 2 INTAKE W/ SCT X-CAL 2 2005/06 GT, 4.10 Performance Gears.. my question is should i be going with a different exhaust set? i want a good sound but a little hp gain also and in the future i also plan to get some headers for more gain, will this setup be ok for it or should i steer another way?

thanks, chris
Old 12-27-2005, 05:02 AM
Hufenstang
4th Gear Member

Default RE: What order?

decided on ordering the jlt 2 with x cal2 tomorrow, whats the next best upgrade performance wise after that?
Old 12-27-2005, 08:31 AM
Thump_rrr

ORIGINAL: Hufenstang

hey all i have a 05 gt and havent done anything to it yet, have 2 grand saved up now and looking to do some performance mods to it and was just wondering what you guys would suggest? lot of people say cai for the first thing some say gears others say headers.. i was looking into getting the SLP LOUDMOUTH AXLEBACK, PYPES OFF ROAD H-PIPE 05/06 MUSTANG GT, JLT SERIES 2 INTAKE W/ SCT X-CAL 2 2005/06 GT, 4.10 Performance Gears.. my question is should i be going with a different exhaust set? i want a good sound but a little hp gain also and in the future i also plan to get some headers for more gain, will this setup be ok for it or should i steer another way?

thanks, chris

Ok so you decided on an intake and tuner first. Good choice, you now have about $1400.00 to go

1) Steeda Underdrive Pulleys $250.00

My next move was JBA Longtube headers, H-Pipe, and Steeda engine mounts but that'll put you at or over your budget for sure unless you install them yourself. By going this route you get good performance gains and a mean sound when you step on it without the drone at cruising speeds that many are complaining about. Save your money as far as mufflers go since performance gains are non existant. I'm not familiar with the Pypes exhaust but unless I hear great reviews I would keep away.

$895.00 for headers and offroad H-Pipe combo on fleabay + $250.00 for the Steeda engine mounts.

There are other quality exhaust companies out there so do your homework on which fit best and perform the best. Stainless works, Kooks, and Hooker are some of the others. Some require engine mounts due to the tight tolerances so read what people are saying.
No 2 headers are alike so choose the headers before you decide on a mid pipe to ensure compatibility. Shorties give virtually no gain so don't wate your money.

2) Genuine FRPP Gears can be found for less than$200.00 + $250-$300 for install. 3.73 for auto or 4.10 for manual are the most popular. A good installer is very important for gears.

You should be left with about $700.00 put that aside towards the exhaust
Old 12-27-2005, 03:50 PM
Hufenstang
4th Gear Member

thanks a lot for that input, besides fleabay is there a good store online i can order the offroad h-pipes? and would they be catted or no? throwing some begineer question in here hehe.. which will produce better hp gain catted h pipe or no cat or does it really matter?
Old 12-27-2005, 09:48 PM
SpikeGT
2nd Gear Member

you can order the H pipefrom www.brenspeed.com