Notices
GT S197 General Discussion This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the V8 variation of the 2005 and newer Ford Mustang.

Mustang GT or 350Z?

Search this Thread

Old 01-03-2006, 01:56 PM
sowaxeman
Retired Moderator

Default RE: Mustang GT or 350Z?

Buy a Saleen and then you'll be all things: quicker, faster in the twisties, and worth more in 25 years. Is that biased
Old 01-03-2006, 03:48 PM
pcdrj
2nd Gear Member

I considered the 350Z and the G35. I really liked the G35 but thought it needed a little more power. I drove the GTO and liked it but the breadbox size trunk without foldown seats killed it. I relunctantly drove the mustang just for comparison... bought the mustang. [8D]
Old 01-03-2006, 04:16 PM
chevykiller
I ♥ Acer

ORIGINAL: crewwolfy

Only a couple idiots on here bringing up rice, and those are the only posts I can remember... Just because a car comes out of Asia doesn't make it rice. You don't have to like imports, but respect your enemies if you wish to defeat them. American carmakers brushed imports off as not being a challenge, and look where that got us...

The Z and the GT are two very different cars. Each has very different followings, and as such, more aftermarket support in a certain direction. However, both do have great aftermarket support for any type of motorsport you'd like to get into. Both are great cars and sexy beasts. Styling is a little more radical on the Z, so that's hit-or-miss.

Really can't go wrong with either one.
I'm sorry but every car that comes out of asia IS rice. 'Rice' is a slang word used to describe the type of set-up the motor has and for aftermarket mods people put on cars. You may not like the term but it applys to the car.

And smedin - your comparing apples to oranges. European imports are in a seperate league compared to japanese imports.

Here's a pretty good way to tell if your car is rice or not:

Front wheel drive = rice
Rear wheel drive = not rice
AWD = "riceacan" (a rice half-*** attempt at american)
Old 01-03-2006, 05:59 PM
allfyre
3rd Gear Member

I know exactly what you mean. I don't really care about "American cars" vs. "Imports" I just wanted to get a car that I was going to like. I had planned to get the 05 Maxima, but gradually the urge to get something sportier and less sensible won out and it was down to the Z, the Mustang GT and the RX-8.

I saved the GT for last, and I knew as soon as I got withing 5 feet of the thing that I was going to buy it as long as it didn't completely suck in the test drive. It turns out that it hardly sucks at all! In fact, it kind of rules! BONUS! What did suck was the whole process of actually getting one, but that's another story. I have had it now since Aug 8 and there is absolutely no question in my mind that I made the right decision. Torque is good. Hooray for torque.

You put the right turbo set up in that RX-8 though and it might be time to get my rotary freak on.
Old 01-03-2006, 06:29 PM
crewwolfy
2nd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: chevykiller
Front wheel drive = rice
350Z is rear wheel drive. Not sure what you're trying to say here. A Bugatti Veyron 16.4 is a riceacan? An Impala police cruiser is rice? A 240sx is not rice? (I don't consider it rice, but I have a feeling you do.) I don't know of a car that rolls off the assembly line with a valid label of rice (aside perhaps from the Lighting, with the standard altezzas). It's what you do after that. Those tail lights have nothing to do with the engine set-up...

ORIGINAL: allfyre
You put the right turbo set up in that RX-8 though and it might be time to get my rotary freak on.
I'd like to believe in the RX-8, but everything about it says 'Go Mustang.' The stang is much more powerful, cheaper, more fuel efficient (!?!), and judging from the RX-7's history, more reliable. But the 8 certainly does have appeal.
Old 01-03-2006, 07:39 PM
chevykiller
I ♥ Acer

I think you didn't understand my point (it was a joke BTW) but you helped reinforce it. Let me be specific for the post doctors - RICE is a slang term associated with the individual set-up of the car. i.e. there are rice mustangs and there are rice porsches, etc, etc. RICE has NOTHING to do with made in japan, or anywhere for that matter. The term rice is most often referred to as a gross or overabundance of non-performance mods. Most of the 350's around here are rice - insane spoilers, ginormous tacks, fart can mufflers, under carrigae neon lights, etc, etc. and there are many I would say aren't rice. Many of my friends have srt's and evo's and I tell them they are rice cars all the time and some have said MY mustang is rice cause of my interior. (blue carbon fiber)

I was making a joke and you have to realize this is a 'MUSTANG' forum. I'm sure if he asked the same question on a 350 forum, he would get the exact opposite responses. I personally think it is a waste of thread for anyone to ask "what car should I buy?" If you don't know what car you like and will buy whatever everyone tells you, then I will suggest a 1974 gremlin every time. I really don't think anyone needs to be 'talked into' getting a mustang. If they do, then they don't deserve to have one.

Rice is just a word and nothing to get worked up over. It is what YOU think of your car that matters. Screw anyone elses opinion. (mine included)
Old 01-03-2006, 08:15 PM
PonyGT2005
2nd Gear Member

To me both cars have distinctive "look AND feel" and that comes down to personal preference. If a test drive has not made you lean solidly in one direction then consider whether mods and the Mustang community are a plus for you or not.

I decided on my GT before I got out of third gear
Old 01-03-2006, 09:50 PM
als2052

Guys, Guys, I did not mean to start a war here by no means on my first post no less. I am an ex 240Z owner from the seventies and have at the same time admired very much the mustangs of the late 60's. I have done extensive due diligence on both vehicles including test driving them both. To be quite honest, I am torn between the two. The Z is very modernistic in its styling yet the GT brings back the good feelings of way back when if you know what I mean. I posed this same question on the Z boards and I must tell you the the response is currently 50/50 between both boards. Since I have heard no negatives about the GT from either board, I must tell you the Z does have defects (tire feathering, suspension, transmissions,etc) which were brought to my attention and which I did confirm with additional investigations. Right now I am seriously leaning towards the GT and will keep you guys up to date on my purchase. Thank you all for all of your input. You did make a difference.
Old 01-03-2006, 11:58 PM
chevykiller
I ♥ Acer

ORIGINAL: als2052

Guys, Guys, I did not mean to start a war here by no means on my first post no less. I am an ex 240Z owner from the seventies and have at the same time admired very much the mustangs of the late 60's. I have done extensive due diligence on both vehicles including test driving them both. To be quite honest, I am torn between the two. The Z is very modernistic in its styling yet the GT brings back the good feelings of way back when if you know what I mean. I posed this same question on the Z boards and I must tell you the the response is currently 50/50 between both boards. Since I have heard no negatives about the GT from either board, I must tell you the Z does have defects (tire feathering, suspension, transmissions,etc) which were brought to my attention and which I did confirm with additional investigations. Right now I am seriously leaning towards the GT and will keep you guys up to date on my purchase. Thank you all for all of your input. You did make a difference.
Hope we didn't scare ya away als!... LOL It's just that this IS a mustang forum and of course we love to banter here! I'm sure you'll get what YOU want and be 100% satisfied with it either way. Good luck on your hunt and we're glad to have you here.
Old 01-04-2006, 01:29 AM
smedin
1st Gear Member

ORIGINAL: chevykiller

ORIGINAL: crewwolfy

Only a couple idiots on here bringing up rice, and those are the only posts I can remember... Just because a car comes out of Asia doesn't make it rice. You don't have to like imports, but respect your enemies if you wish to defeat them. American carmakers brushed imports off as not being a challenge, and look where that got us...

The Z and the GT are two very different cars. Each has very different followings, and as such, more aftermarket support in a certain direction. However, both do have great aftermarket support for any type of motorsport you'd like to get into. Both are great cars and sexy beasts. Styling is a little more radical on the Z, so that's hit-or-miss.

Really can't go wrong with either one.
I'm sorry but every car that comes out of asia IS rice. 'Rice' is a slang word used to describe the type of set-up the motor has and for aftermarket mods people put on cars. You may not like the term but it applys to the car.

And smedin - your comparing apples to oranges. European imports are in a seperate league compared to japanese imports.

Here's a pretty good way to tell if your car is rice or not:

Front wheel drive = rice
Just trying to illustrate how good the Mustang is--even when compared to my ex-BMWs. If it holds its own against Europe (in its own unique way), it will also hold its own against Japan. That's all I'm saying.

Quick Reply: Mustang GT or 350Z?