Notices
GT S197 General Discussion This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the V8 variation of the 2005 and newer Ford Mustang.

Window Tint Scratches

Search this Thread

Old 01-04-2006, 02:03 PM
BlackPhantomGT
1st Gear Member

Default Window Tint Scratches

I have the scratch problem too. I know a few weeks back there was a thread about this. At that time i asked my dealer service rep about it. I heard from my him today about and he said ford doesn't have a solution except to remove the tint. Factory says the window fit is too tight and the scratched are caused by dirt getting inside. Which is what i thought was the cause anyway. I've asked the dealer about installing felt and he doesn't know anything about it.

Those of you on the forum who've have had the felt installed, has this fixed the problem?

Also, can anyone describe where or how the felt is installed (pix?) so i can train my dealer?
Old 01-04-2006, 02:41 PM
Hufenstang
4th Gear Member

Default RE: Window Tint Scratches

i didnt know this is a common problem but i too have it, i only have it on the pass side right now though.. wheres the felt supposed to be installed at?
Old 01-04-2006, 03:43 PM
MobyDickDog
2nd Gear Member

Guys, first lets be clear here on this subject. It is not the window TINT that is the problem. It is not a window TINT scratch. It is a GLASS SCRATCH. It is a FORD problem. Now they of course will not admit it. I would agree that there IS a clearance problem and it is scratching everyones windows. OR it is just that felt should have been installed on the interior side of the door where the window glass rubs.

Window tint is not even 1 millimeter thick. So installing window tint is not causing a clearance problem. Guys have/get scratches on their windows even BEFORE installing window tint. Do not let the dealer tell you that it is the window TINT that is causing the problem.

What we did:

Before we received our Mustang we learned of this problem here on the forum. I told my wife of this window scratching problem. We agreed not to roll down the windows until we installed felt where the window glass touches the rubber seal. Well, of course, we just had to roll down the windows. Only 3 or 4 times though. But that was all it took. We received the scratches in the window glass in those 3 or 4 times. (You can feel it with your fingernail.)

My wife and I installed felt onto the rubber molding that touches the interior side of the glass. This was extremely easy. The "hard" (just time consuming is all) part of the deal was partially removing the interior door panel. (There is a great thread on this forum with pictures on how to do this. It might be on the StangNet forum also.) You do not have to entirely remove the door panel. You only need to remove it so that you can remove the rubber seal that touches the glass. It simply pulls off the door once you remove the door panel. Once it is removed, we cleaned the surface that the felt was going to be stuck onto.

We went to a hobby/sewing/crafts store and bought a sheet of self adhesive felt. I cut strips approximately 1/2 to 3/4 of an inch wide and applied it to the rubber seal. Reinstalled the rubber onto the door. Reinstalled the door panel and NO MORE scratches so far.

We have had these on for about 4 months and it has worked very nicely. We are still watching for scratches to show up on the tint now.

Remember, if you have rolled your windows up and down a few times, there ARE scratches in the glass. Some are difficult to find until the light hits them just right. Take your fingernail across the glass and you will feel the scratches.

P.S. Anyone with just a little bit of patience and just a little bit of mechanical ability can do this by themselves. Do a search on this forum and StangNet for pictures of how to remove the door panel. I believe the keyword "Door Panel" and "Door trim" will help using the Search feature.

Better yet I just found this in my Favorties:

https://mustangforums.com/m_705227/m.../tm.htm#705227
Old 01-04-2006, 06:26 PM
05SonicBlue
2nd Gear Member

thanks MDD for the link and 1st person account . . . looking at the pics, though, doesn't look easy
Old 01-04-2006, 08:34 PM
Stang Skeleton
3rd Gear Member

Hey guys, i was reading your posts and there seems to be two completely different problems here: TINT scratches and GLASS scratches. There is a significant difference between the two. I think what you're referring to BlackPhantomGT are tint scratches, if im not mistaken. In order to scratch glass, you would need to go fairly deep since is glass is very hard. On the other with tint, which is just a think film, you can scratch is with a pen or your fingernail. Im not too sure about how to fix the glass scratching, in which case it would obvisously be a ford problem, but as for the tint... the felt does work and it goes in between the glass and the rubber. At some places they call it rubber treatment. The scratches on tint on many mustangs are coused by the rough rubber seal that rubs against the window every time you put it up or down. The soft felt goes between the two and helps alot. btw, scratches on tinted windows are by far, alot more visible then clear, so the felt is a good idea and can be done by a tint shop for around 10-20bux.
Old 01-04-2006, 09:01 PM
MobyDickDog
2nd Gear Member

To add on to Skeleton's post, you can do it yourself for about 83 cents. That's the cost for a sheet of felt with adhesive already on the back.