Notices
GT S197 General Discussion This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the V8 variation of the 2005 and newer Ford Mustang.

drivetrain vibration

Search this Thread

Old 01-06-2006, 01:44 PM
dpunk

Default drivetrain vibration

My 2006 gt w/ 5spm (less than 1000mi.) has an annoying vibration when coasting (decelerating) in 5th gear at any speed above 45mph. No vibration in any other gear and nothing using cruise control or accellerating. I think it has something to do with driveshaft angles, but the dealer checked several others and all had the same problem. Ford has not posted any fixes or complaints. The center support bearing has spacers that could possibly change the angle with the transmission, but all other angles are handeled by CV joints and would not be affected. Has anyone else experienced the same vibrations?
Old 01-06-2006, 04:05 PM
ByPopularDemand
5th Gear Member

Default RE: drivetrain vibration

Welcome. For the answers you want, go check out our 05-06 V6 setion, and general tech.
Old 01-06-2006, 05:06 PM
M
2nd Gear Member

pretty sure he said he has a GT
Old 01-06-2006, 05:13 PM
M
2nd Gear Member

welcome. and sorry i can't help you. really havnt heard anything like this.
Old 01-06-2006, 06:36 PM
spyder7724
4th Gear Member

there was a problem with the trans mount or something that was causing some vibrations. ford went through hoops trying to get the vibration out of this car with adding axle dampeners, two piece shaft, filling panhard bar with sand and fluid filled engine mounts... they still didn't fix whats causing the problem though. hope you can figure it out. check for new tsb's from ford.
Old 01-07-2006, 10:53 AM
gregsdart
1st Gear Member

I have had severe issues with vibration after having a rearend replaced under warranty. No noticeable problems before the front pinion bearing went out, but after they rebuilt the rear, it would vibrate at a low frequancy from a speed of 68 to 72 mph, and was pretty bad. After a complete rearend repalcement, housing and all, it got better. Then the dealership put in a whole new driveshaft, and that took care of some more of the vibration, but i can still JUST BARELY feel it, so it must be an engineering problem that ford hasn't been able to adequetely address yet!! I didn't realize that the fluid mounts were an attempt to stop vibration, and if they are indeed an attempt to MASK the problem, i am not a happy camper!!
One las t thing, this vibration has to be coming from a resonance problem, due to the fact that it fazes in and out at a certain speed, regardless of wether it is in gear, out of gear, clutch in, clutch out, or any gear at all, under power. So trying to figure out what two(or more) components are providing the frequencys that intersect and cause the vibration is going to be a bit of a problem.
Old 01-07-2006, 11:27 AM
shep987

I haven't noticed any problems with vibrations on mine.
Old 01-07-2006, 02:40 PM
spyder7724
4th Gear Member

stock i had no problems even with the aluminum d/shaft no problems it was when i switched gears that mine made noise and it's not the gears i replaced them again with a different brand and have the same thing. i'm thinking the lsd(posi unit) may be the cause but thats a $400-500 experiment that may not fix the problem. a lot of people have no problems with noise or vibrations even when switching gears and d/shafts so it makes me wonder why is that only a portion of mustangs experience this? i'm going to replace the posi unit at some point but that will have to wait. i've noticed that under full load there is no noise/vibration is only at cruising load and only at 45-60 mph.
Old 01-18-2006, 09:15 AM
dpunk

Update:

Left the car at the dealer all day Monday. They connected an electronic engine vibration analizer and reported no abnormal vibration. First order and third order engine vibration during coast down was due to eht engine being bogged down. Talked to the service manager and he asked me if I was lugging the engine. BULL$#%&! The engine turns 1000RPM at 33mph and the vibration is on COAST DOWN from speeds above 45mph. I can add this trip and statement to the list of dealer statements.

When I originally left the car to have the vibration fixed, they said that they drove another one and it had the same vibration. I cannot believe Ford would make a new Mustang with a vibration and I did not notice a vibration on the one I test drove. So I asked if a problem with the 2 piece driveshaft could cause the vibration. The service mechanic argued with me that the car had a 1 piece driveshaft. We went back and forth a few times until he agreed to put the car on a lift to show me. After driving the car into a floor jack that wasn't lowered enough to clear, he raised the lift and then apologized (BECAUSE THE GT HAS A 2 PIECE DRIVESHAFT). When I suggested checking the pinion angles (u-joint angle at transmission), he said there was no adjustment until I showed them the spacers at the center support bracket. He put in some additional washers to change the angle, but no noticeable change in vibration. When I looked under the car over the weekend, the center bracket had been twisted out of alignment when they had torqued the bolts.

THEY SHOULD HAVE KNOWN A 2006 GT HAD A 2 PIECE DRIVESHAFT.
THEY SHOULD HAVE KNOWN HOW TO ADJUST THE DRIVESHAFT ANGLE.
THEY SHOULD HAVE KNOWN HOW TO TORQUE THE BOLTS ON THE CENTER BEARING SUPPORT BRACKET.

I don't know if the vibration is from the driveshaft or possibly from the transmission since it is only during coast down in 5th. I asked the dealer if they had swaped the driveshaft from the one I drove the previous Friday into mine to eliminate the driveshaft as a source and they said that could only be done with Ford's authorization. I had received a reply from my original email to Ford that said the dealer would need to duplicate the problem before they would be able to help. This will just continue to go in circles without fixing the problem. Another email went out to Ford.
Old 01-18-2006, 11:30 AM
JJ_Stang
2nd Gear Member

If their is another FORD dealer near you I would go and see if their Service Manager was a bit more knowledgeable.

Quick Reply: drivetrain vibration