Notices
GT S197 General Discussion This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the V8 variation of the 2005 and newer Ford Mustang.

Strange tranny/clutch noise during shifts

Search this Thread

Old 01-09-2006, 12:02 AM
sl8anic
1st Gear Member

Default Strange tranny/clutch noise during shifts

Hey guys,
Just got a new 06 GT convertable with a standard tranny and perhaps an odd "issue". I'm new to Mustangs and I'm not entirely sure how it's supposed to sound when you're shifting, so here it is.

There's a "clunking" noise coming from the shifter (tranny?) area almost every time I shift into 2nd gear and up or down, unless I baby the clutch in. It's very obvious when the RPMs and gear box speeds aren't quite matched, i.e. when the car rocks back and forth a little. Not grinding or anything, just every time (well, almost) you shift - and it's not 100% smooth, with the car "stalling" a little - you hear that clunking noise...

I test drove a V6 version of the car and I don't remember hearing it, or perhaps I missed it. Any takers? Thanks!

AD
Old 01-10-2006, 12:47 AM
Blackness
1st Gear Member

Default RE: Strange tranny/clutch noise during shifts

The Tremec is noisy...The sound of a tough tranny!
Old 01-10-2006, 05:23 AM
DAVE05GT
2nd Gear Member

I have/had this problem too, but when they replaced the rear end housing everything got a lot tighter. You could just shift at 5000+ rpms everytime and you'll never notice it!
Old 01-10-2006, 11:23 PM
sl8anic
1st Gear Member

Hmmm, rear housing... Doesn't sound too good... Is it worth taking it to the dealer? Kinda' sucks too, it's a brand new car. Now, do you suppose it's like that with majority of 05-06 GT's?

AD
Old 01-12-2006, 09:53 PM
05ROUSHER
2nd Gear Member

tHERE WAS A tsb ON THAT ISSUE. ICAN'T REMEMBER THE NUMBER, BUT IT BASICLY SAID THAT IT WAS A NORMAL CONDITION. tHERE IS CLEARANCE CONDITIONS THROUGOUT THE DRIVELINE. i'LL LOOK SOME MORE AND SEE IF I CAN FIND THE NUMBER FOR YOU TO REFER TO.
Old 01-12-2006, 10:05 PM
sl8anic
1st Gear Member

Thanks '05!
Old 01-13-2006, 01:26 AM
AmericanMuscle4.6GT
5th Gear Member

yea, ive got an 05 GT, and the shifter makes it quite a challenge to be smooth..............shifting into most gears requires really finessing the clutch to pull off a really smooth shift. 2nd gear i dont notice as much of a problem, but skipshifting from 3rd to 5th i get a clunk noise. Also, when trying to downshift into 1st at about 20 mph, the shifter resists as a whining noise winds up, but as the whining noise gets higher, it becomes easier to slip it in. I realized that this was probably the synchro matching speeds of the input and output shaft. I have driven many other manual cars but none of them do this as loud as my mustang.
That having been said, i think the shifter in the car is absolutely fantastic, very clean, snick-snick shifting for the most part, and theres absolutely nothing like blasting off a 1-2 shift at wide open throttle in this car.
Old 01-13-2006, 11:19 PM
05ROUSHER
2nd Gear Member

Here is the notice. It was on the OASIS

#18754 2005 Mustang with Manual Transmission - DriveLine Clunk

"Some 2005 mustangs equipped with manual transmission may exhibit a "CLUNK" noise from the driveline during gear changes and/or quick acceleration after coasting (tip-in clunk). The clunk may be present in multiple gears and isconsidered a normal characteristic caused by Driveline Lash reacting to rapid response of the engine when the throttle is suddenly opened. "

There is a little more, but it basicly says to compare it to a like unit. If yours seems excessive after the comparison, let the dealer look at it. Hope this helps.
Old 01-15-2006, 02:34 AM
ford4v429
3rd Gear Member

mine had a very slight backlash clunk- barely noticable...till I took the wife out to try the stick. A few bucking broncos and I guess its broke in now- quite noticeable with only 300 miles on it.

I dont buy the 'normal' noise stuff- tremec might have a reputation as tough, but the older trannys never made as much noise...synchro whine is about normal in mine, but backlash noise is pretty bad. Hopefully the shelby 6 speed will sound better and will be over the counter piece in a year or so...I think some of it might be not just tranny, but rearend and slipyoke spline slop too...havent looked yet.
Old 01-20-2006, 11:41 PM
sl8anic
1st Gear Member

Thanks man, looks like it's nothing out of ordinary for these cars

Quick Reply: Strange tranny/clutch noise during shifts