Notices
GT S197 General Discussion This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the V8 variation of the 2005 and newer Ford Mustang.

Ford Power Packs VS. Ford Drag Packs VS. JBA setup

Old 01-12-2006, 12:30 AM
spyder7724
4th Gear Member

Default RE: Ford Power Packs VS. Ford Drag Packs VS. JBA setup

i don't think the stock converters would choke the system down. ford did a great jod on the exhaust. thats why the aftermarket mufflers and shorty headers don't make anymore power than stock. if i could have used the stock converters i probably would have. since it's so new i haven't gone through emmisions yet. here in MD if the vehicle is OBD2 they will just plug in the port under your dash and pull all the info they need. they haven't looked at my truck or my wifes minivan(both are OBD2 and legal) the last couple of times in for inspection. we don't have to go through yearly inspections like some states just do emissions every couple years. i may put the converters on somehow after the race in march.(don't want the extra weight
allfyre: with all that torque you are going to have you probably don't need the gears. let the engines torque work for you. if i was just wanting to go fast i would have instantly started with a s/c or turbo combination. since i'm trying for a consistant bracket car i decided to axe the boost and concentrate on everything else to make it more consistant and lighter.
Old 01-13-2006, 12:43 AM
adamante82

Default RE: Ford Power Packs VS. Ford Drag Packs VS. JBA setup

Wouldn't you know the next thing I've been searching for since asking about JBA lt headers, are cams. I've not had any luck locating any and the info I have read is that there really isn't anything out cam related just yet. I recall one company claimed to have one and even had a video of the car idleing and such..but much of their claims may be bogus.

Which leads me into the next thing, for anyone who cares to respond. Porting/flowing the heads that are currently in the car. My knowledge of performance comes pretty much from Harley Davidson motorcycles....and you really have to milk those motors to get a lot of power b/c the motors are pretty old technology compared to other modern water cooled engines. They can make great power though, esp. torque-wise.

I just recall that ported and flowed heads do wonder for an engine. But usually there are heads out there that are much better than stock. I'll do research on this soon enough as well.

Either way, I think the JBA LT headers that are coated will be a great addition. Upon the recomendation of a few ppl I may keep the current H-pipe and axle back exhaust to see how those things go. I like forums