Notices
GT S197 General Discussion This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the V8 variation of the 2005 and newer Ford Mustang.

Just ordered my new mustang!!!

Search this Thread

Old 01-10-2006, 12:19 PM
2006MustangGTNYC
2nd Gear Member

Default Just ordered my new mustang!!!

Hey All!!

I'm very new to this forum. Yesterday, I became a proud new owner of an 06 mustang GT Coupe for 27000 ($865) below sticker. I added the 18' wheels and all together, it came to 27800 (and still got a discount on the wheels).

Well, they told me that it will take 6-8 weeks for delivery of my new stang so now I am eagerly waiting for it to show up around my birthday (march 6).

I'm glad to have done this. I'm now one of the lucky few. Man, I can't wait to drive it!!!!

A few n00b questions:

- I ordered a 5-spd but I don't know how to drive it. (please dont make fun of me.. haha..) so is it hard?
- Is 6-8 weeks too long of a wait?
- Did I pay a good price?
- I'm driving a Camry V6 now, will I kill myself in this car? (hope not - I'm 31 March 6 btw)
- This is my first sports car, please tell me what to expect.

Anticipating emails now!!
Old 01-10-2006, 12:21 PM
gregsdart
1st Gear Member

Default RE: Just ordered my new mustang!!!

Congratualtions! What did you order? Colr and other options?
Old 01-10-2006, 12:23 PM
2006MustangGTNYC
2nd Gear Member

My signature has all the info you need.
Old 01-10-2006, 01:11 PM
retromustang

I picked mine up the end of October after ordering in August so 5 to 6 weeks doesn't sound bad at all.
Adjust your seat well and get used to real power.
Good luck!
Old 01-10-2006, 02:30 PM
GGIII
3rd Gear Member

Have you ever driven anything with a clutch before?

If not, you're in for a doosy. I'd suggest finding a buddy with a stick and practicing a bit. Otherwise, you'll find that your lovely "Pulling away from the dealer" turns into an embarassing stall. =p
Old 01-10-2006, 03:14 PM
TomsEleanor
1st Gear Member

congrats indeed! i agree with GG, you should definetly practice on a buddy's car with a manual. not only will that get you used to driving a stick itll keep you from killing your own clutch by learning on it. i do think you paid a good price BTW. i got mine september of last year and people all over were still payin anywhere between 1k and 4k over sticker. i got mine for 200 under and i thought i did pretty good. will you kill yourself? all depends on how you drive it my man. learn how the car handles before you try anything real crazy. remember there are two really big differences between your camry and the mustang. 1) lots more horsepower and torque. 2) rear wheel drive. my suggestion is take the car to a deserted parking lot and learn exactly how the car is different. i will tell you this, with 300 hp and 320lb/ft of torque its REAL easy to make the front and rear of the car switch positions in a hurry. your gonna love this car man, and again congrats.
Old 01-10-2006, 04:24 PM
2006MustangGTNYC
2nd Gear Member

Wow, thanks for being so nice and giving me thoughful replies.

I think what I will do is post an add on Craigslist.org (new york) and pay someone 100-150 on his day off for me to practice stick and for him to teach me. I'm sure someone out there needs money. Unfortunatly, all my friends are too sissy enough to buy a stick. I'm the only one looney enought to make a 300HP pony with stick as my frist sports car and not even know how to pull out of the dealership. Go figure, I'm a New Yorker!

Keep the great posts coming. Tell me about your experiences if you have any good ones. Tell me about aftermarket parts and what I should do as my first mods. (I am loving the aftermarket exhausts though.. love that HUMMMMM)
Old 01-10-2006, 05:03 PM
rotorr22
1st Gear Member

Hey, I've had Boss 302 and 351 Mustangs with Toploaders and I STILL have a hard time hitting the 3rd gear gate on my '06 GT. Thank heavens for rev limiters. [[:@]]
Old 01-10-2006, 05:06 PM
2006MustangGTNYC
2nd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: rotorr22

Hey, I've had Boss 302 and 351 Mustangs with Toploaders and I STILL have a hard time hitting the 3rd gear gate on my '06 GT. Thank heavens for rev limiters. [[:@]]

Man, I'm such a n00b, I have no idea what you're talking about despite the fact that I can only understand that your 06 pony is too fast for you to handle.

Anyway, thanks for getting me all scared up now! hahah....
Old 01-10-2006, 07:36 PM
rotorr22
1st Gear Member

For all of you "young" stanger's, a toploader is the 4 speed gearbox that most, if not all, performance Mustang's of the sixties and 70's were equiped with. A bullet proof transmission with a ridiculously long shifter throw. A "gate" is the "notch" in the shifter pattern one has to hit precisely to enable the transmission to shift into that gear. I find the 3rd gear gate on the GT difficult to hit at times with the stock shifter.

And yes, 2006MustangGTNYC, I can handle the power thank you!

Quick Reply: Just ordered my new mustang!!!