Notices
GT S197 General Discussion This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the V8 variation of the 2005 and newer Ford Mustang.
Old 10-22-2015, 03:55 PM
How-Tos on this Topic
Last edit by: IB Advertising
See related guides and technical advice from our community experts:

Browse all: Ford Mustang Exterior Guides
Print Wikipost

Basic Mods for your 05-09 GT

Search this Thread

Old 03-08-2009, 06:06 PM
JDWalton
5th Gear Member

tune would be good. I would buy your tuner through somone like bama with a custom tune already on it. Though the only power adder you have so far is the K&N as the axle backs are almost all sound, and no real power gain.
Old 04-19-2009, 08:07 PM
Jeagle44

I'm new to this. I have a Black 08 GT with a Cervini's ram air hood and american thunder mufflers on it. I've been looking at getting a CAI. If i get one with a tuner and i flash the computer. Is there anyway i can put the computer back to stock??
Old 05-24-2009, 12:11 AM
sierra224

I talked with my dealer first. I was lucky and the head mechanic who races and knows a lot about Mustangs was drinking coffee at the desk. I did come prepared, because my stupid squad car, an Impala had been at the shop two weeks in a row so I was bugging them about warranty info...

Comes down to this. If you do any mods, they can be hard and say it violates the warranty, to include putting in a new radio. So you talk with the mechanics. My guy admitted, exhaust is not a problem. CAI not a problem. Matter of fact, the mechanic told me that if I am going to replace the exhaust and put on a CAI, then I should adjust for the torque increase and install an underdrive pulley. Tuner.....depends what you do with it.

They will be able to tell if you are racing or being a knucklehead. I bought the Steeda CAI / SCT3 tuner combo. Preset with 3 custom tunes based on octane level. I'm getting better economy with 93 octane with a performance "tune" than 87 stock. Better yet, I'm getting kick *** HP. Best yet, if there is a problem, I can retune to stock and visit the dealer...

Just establish rapport with your dealer. Simple mods aren't a problem, even simple custom tunes. The problem comes when you're modifying the engine itself or digging into the electrical system or putting in some stupid tune....

The Steeda / tuner kit is available at americanmuscle.com. Good luck. Its expensive, but takes care of two things at once. Better yet, the hp increase is very noticeable. At stock, you'll notice the lag when you want to punch the gas. With this combo, you'll actually feel the suction kick in and the speed jump. Good luck.
Old 06-09-2009, 06:21 PM
stevenca
1st Gear Member

Jeagle44 the tuner (at least mine) has the option to set your car back to stock as it will download your factory results before letting you tune but I have a SCT SF3
Old 06-24-2009, 09:43 AM
must07

i would start with a cai with tuner and of course exhaust
Old 07-04-2009, 03:16 PM
NJShelby120
2nd Gear Member

hey guys, stupid question for most on here but im new to mustangs but ive been around the car modd and tune block here and there. Im looking to try a sct tuner. I have a 07 shelby gt which means i have a frpp intake stock. I read and know that tuners come with and need a cai but i just what to hear it from u guys. But is that intake fine to run with a sct tuner? And also, does a sct tuner require a dyno tune? or can i just run their 93 map? I understand a dyno will get more hp but id deal with whatever the tuner gets for now.. thanx for any feedback
Old 07-05-2009, 12:42 PM
socalwrench
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by NJShelby120
hey guys, stupid question for most on here but im new to mustangs but ive been around the car modd and tune block here and there. Im looking to try a sct tuner. I have a 07 shelby gt which means i have a frpp intake stock. I read and know that tuners come with and need a cai but i just what to hear it from u guys. But is that intake fine to run with a sct tuner? And also, does a sct tuner require a dyno tune? or can i just run their 93 map? I understand a dyno will get more hp but id deal with whatever the tuner gets for now.. thanx for any feedback
Your SGT came with the FRPP intake and FRPP (old SCT) tune already installed. You can use a different tune that's more aggressive, and uses a higher octane fuel. You're current FRPP CAI is just fine for using with another tune.

You don't have to get it dyno'd, but you would get the more benefit for having a tune that is specifically meant for every modification you have. With that being said, I believe both the new SCT and Diablosport programmers come with tunes for the FRPP CAI.
Old 07-06-2009, 11:27 AM
PootieStang

got my first mod from americanmuscle.com, shorty antena, rockin like .000000000001 more horsepower because the car is lighter now
Old 07-25-2009, 03:50 AM
gils maui pony
1st Gear Member

I know this post is 3yrs old but I was under the assumtion that if you return your car back to stock before bringing it to the dealer no ones the wiser! was I misinformed?
Old 07-25-2009, 08:39 AM
Daniel60
5th Gear Member

my dealer knows I have tune because I asked if this would void my warranty and he said go a head and do it. So no I don't ever go back to the stock tune. Different dealerships differ. Only thing in general a warranty does is void a certain part. Like I have Mac Axlebacks and he isn't going to warranty that if it breaks. Also I have underdrive pullys and that now isn't warranted. Only thin he said he wouldn't agree with is the cats. I cannot take off the catalytic converters.

Quick Reply: Basic Mods for your 05-09 GT