Notices
GT S197 General Discussion This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the V8 variation of the 2005 and newer Ford Mustang.

Tinting the Windows: 06 GT

Old 01-18-2006, 08:27 PM
Black4.6GT

Default Tinting the Windows: 06 GT

I was wondering. . . for those of you who have tinted your windows already. . . did you have any problem with the windows dropping down a fraction of an inch when you open the door. . . how do you get around this?. . . or is it even a problem, like, can you just push the tint further down from the inside where there is no gap or what. . . any help would be apprectiated. . . Thanks
Old 01-18-2006, 08:35 PM
giovani13
1st Gear Member

Default RE: Tinting the Windows: 06 GT

I just had my windows tinted two days ago. I asked them the same question. Not a problem because the shop I went to removes the window.

Mikey
'06 GT, stock for now
Old 01-18-2006, 08:36 PM
Claytone
2nd Gear Member

I had no problem.
Old 01-18-2006, 08:46 PM
BradInFl
2nd Gear Member

At the place I got mine done the stuck some type of rod in the door lock when it was open to make the door think that it was closed so the window would stay up all of the way. When the tint was done they cracked the windows down a bit (so they wouldn't go up and down when the door opens and closes) and told me not to move them for 2 to 3 days. I highly recomend gettng some kind of window felt installed if you dont have it, my tint is scratched and I am most likley going to get it re done with some felt next time.
Old 01-18-2006, 08:48 PM
mperez

I totally forgot to mention it to the tint shop and when I picked it up the windows were fully tinted. So a good shop should know what they are doing...
Old 01-18-2006, 08:59 PM
BlackB-U-TEE_06
2nd Gear Member

Same here...got my windows done 2 days ago as well....the place i took it to tinted all the way down despite the fact that i forgot to tell them about the window issue. if you take it to a decent shop, they should know what they're doing without you having to tell them. good tip on the window felt though....i may have to look into that.
Old 01-20-2006, 12:57 AM
u got stang

ORIGINAL: BradInFl

At the place I got mine done the stuck some type of rod in the door lock when it was open to make the door think that it was closed so the window would stay up all of the way. When the tint was done they cracked the windows down a bit (so they wouldn't go up and down when the door opens and closes) and told me not to move them for 2 to 3 days. I highly recomend gettng some kind of window felt installed if you dont have it, my tint is scratched and I am most likley going to get it re done with some felt next time.
My tint shop did the same thing with the door lock (no problems)... However, neither my tint shop nor I, knew anything about the window scratching problem until it was too late... Mine got scratched within the first few days of opening the windows... I added felt to the inner rubber/plastic seal and it solved the problem (no new scratches)... My tint shop is going to re-tint the windows for free, but I'm waiting for a month or so to make sure I have no problems with the felt I added... I recommend not taking the chance... make sure you have felt added before you have them tinted... As for FORD, they do not acknowledge that there is any problem at this time with the design or material selection of their window seal.... For what it's worth... I had my side and rear windows tinted 15% and my front windshield tinted 50%...

[IMG]local://upfiles/27719/190FD8CC453848F1994262EA786E3DDF.jpg[/IMG]

[IMG]local://upfiles/27719/7159776435E54581AD343E3BC26D6917.jpg[/IMG]
Old 01-20-2006, 11:28 AM
shep987

I got mine tinted last friday and didn't have a single propblem with the windows I didn't have to say anything and my tint looks great.
Old 01-20-2006, 03:08 PM
BlackB-U-TEE_06
2nd Gear Member

anyone know where you can get felt for your windows? any auto parts store? online? just curious.
Old 01-21-2006, 04:33 PM
PCstang05
2nd Gear Member

Anybody know how much it is to get tint done professionally? I have a Grand Am and I bought the window sticker tint and put it on myself. It was only about $20 and it worked out well. Still havent done the back window yet. Just looking for an idea of how much it would cost to get it done instead of doing it myself.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Tinting the Windows: 06 GT