Notices
GT S197 General Discussion This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the V8 variation of the 2005 and newer Ford Mustang.

3rd gear chirps in a 5 spd manual

Search this Thread

Old 01-23-2006, 10:04 PM
Mr. Meany
1st Gear Member

Default 3rd gear chirps in a 5 spd manual

I have seen a number of posts from people with autos saying that with just a CAI and tune they can consistently chirp 3rd gear.

I have yet to hear anyone claim the same with a 5 speed manual...unless they have other mods such as electric H20 pump or pullies or gears.

2nd gear has never been an issue for me, even without a tune and CAI, but I've yet to get third to chirp

I should mention that I usually leave TCS on, I don't think TCS should affect this.

Can anyone with just CAI and tune consistently chirp 3rd? If so, please reply, and let us know if you've dyno'd, who's CAI and tune you have.

Old 01-23-2006, 10:54 PM
wadman
2nd Gear Member

Default RE: 3rd gear chirps in a 5 spd manual

My 5spd gt has hooker exhaust so it is kind of loud when jammin the gears, but i dont think it will chirp in 3rd. My car is pretty quick for what it is but these cars are not really that "hot". I quess if all youve ever been in was stock sedan types or pick ups one would be really impressed. Im not saying i dont love the car i just think alot of the people on this forum get a little carried away when talking about their cars.
Old 01-23-2006, 11:03 PM
Burton9104
1st Gear Member

Isnt that the purpose of this forum.. to talk about our cars... We love our cars, and the 05+ year models have demonstrated exceptional perofrmance capabilities. Not saying that the )5 is God or anything but... for what i paid.. I got a hell of a deal... not to mention 12's with less than 1500 bucks... Maybe instead of those headers... u should have gotten some gears...?
Old 01-23-2006, 11:22 PM
wadman
2nd Gear Member

Thanks for the advice, but i have ford racing 4:10's as well as many other mods. Sorry to offend you!! You must have been one of the guys who only drove sedans.
Old 01-23-2006, 11:44 PM
Burton9104
1st Gear Member

Actually i didnt... thanks tho...
Old 01-24-2006, 12:20 AM
Mr. Meany
1st Gear Member

I'm pretty sure that those with a good CAI and TUNE can chirp third if they stand on their right foot while driving....with the right auto tune, the auto tranny must just slam thru the gears, more so and less dangerously than a human with a manual tranny...

I still would love to hear from anyone with a stick who can chirp 3rd when they want to....

Old 01-24-2006, 03:56 AM
M
2nd Gear Member

stock tires and stock tune i would get a chirp in third maybe every other time, switched to wider tires and lost chirp in third ability, new tune chirp comes back in third and can outright smoke'em in second

new suspension going on hopefully this week, not sure what will happen then... but then supercharger goes on hopefully next month if i save enough $$ up, if not then march or so but i'm sure there will be smoke in third if i want it

wadman - when you get a stang get back to us
Old 01-24-2006, 09:36 AM
ScreamingYellow
2nd Gear Member

Stock tires in my manual I can chirp third. On a cold morning after the car has warmed up I once chirped 4th getting on the interstate. Turning TCS off is the first thing I do when i get in my car...
Old 01-24-2006, 10:43 AM
Pappy56

Yes you can. I have an 05 mustang gt and have chirpped the tires in third a lot. the conditions have to be right weather wise and I shift early at about 5000 rpm where it's in the power band the most. It's a great sound! Keep trying you'll get it.
Old 01-24-2006, 10:49 AM
LimeStang05
2nd Gear Member

On one slick (dust blowing on the track) day at the track, I nearly changed lanes going into third on stock tires. I dont know if it actually "chirped", but there was no doubt in my mind that they were spinning! Without the nitrous!

Quick Reply: 3rd gear chirps in a 5 spd manual