Notices
GT S197 General Discussion This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the V8 variation of the 2005 and newer Ford Mustang.

06 unmodified GT vs. BMW

Search this Thread

Old 01-30-2006, 07:22 PM
Sonic3v
4th Gear Member

Default RE: 06 unmodified GT vs. BMW

ORIGINAL: pcdrj

Not sure about the Z3, but an M3 will take you. You may get a jump from a stop but he'll pull you after that...from a rolling start it gets worse.

In the twisties I don't think you'll be able to read his license plate.
Actually we can take an M3.
Old 01-30-2006, 07:22 PM
saud alzaabi
3rd Gear Member

ohhh **** man ... i have no problem smoking z3's and z4's but a guy told my that the z3 M coupe is faster... ohh well i guess not bad for a mustang to beat those over priced underpowerd fancy pantsy german cars.... i mean the ones we beat like the z3's and z4's and cl500's and so on...
Old 01-30-2006, 07:25 PM
SpecterGT260
5th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: Tik_Tok

They did build a M-Roadster, based on the Z3 back then though that would kick our asses.

that was in 99, back then, it would have been a pretty even race. we overpowered and over torqued them, and they arent THAT light
Old 01-30-2006, 07:35 PM
BlackB-U-TEE_06
2nd Gear Member

haha, well it seems like an 05/06 GT will either kick the crap out of a BMW z3 M3 OR the BMW will kick the crap out of my GT.

guess the only way to find out is to hit the gas next time i see one.

any other actual specs or experience with the BMWs is appreciated....i'd tend to believe actual numbers over "...a friend of a friend of a friend told me...."

Thanks for the HP and TQ numbers TikTok.

i will say this about the z3 that passed me up....the manner in which he passed me up, made me think he had something to prove....however, he really didn't pull away that fast (even though it looked like he was shifting pretty hard), which leads me to believe that i probably could have taken him and made him look the fool. only reason i didn't even try is because he already looked the fool when he almost hit the car to the right of him just to pass me up.

Old 01-30-2006, 07:35 PM
pcdrj
2nd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: TMG

Not sure about the Z3, but an M3 will take you. You may get a jump from a stop but he'll pull you after that...from a rolling start it gets worse.

I'd like to think that a stock GT can take one. I 've never run a new M3 myself but have heard kill stories from both sides. M3 is rated at high 12's-low 13's with no mods and it's not really geared for drag. Older models are closer. Anyone here ever tangle with a new M3?
Old 01-30-2006, 07:37 PM
Sonic3v
4th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: TMG

I'd like to think that a stock GT can take one. I 've never run a new M3 myself but have heard kill stories from both sides. M3 is rated at high 12's-low 13's with no mods and it's not really geared for drag. Older models are closer. Anyone here ever tangle with a new M3?
https://mustangforums.com/m_981567/tm.htm
Old 01-30-2006, 09:45 PM
Claytone
2nd Gear Member

Great news..... http://www.roadandtrack.com/article....article_id=913. We are doing greeeaaat.
Old 01-30-2006, 09:49 PM
Claytone
2nd Gear Member

I spoke too soon. That last link was in ref. to 2003, this is the 2005. damnit, still close, for 20k cheaper. http://www.roadandtrack.com/article....&page_number=2
Old 01-30-2006, 09:53 PM
NoOriginalNamesLeft
2nd Gear Member

I know a pretty fair amount about BMW's, my dad's been working for them ever since I was 6, before that it was Honda, so our company car was a good improvement. But anyways, unless you know what to look for, most Z3's look exactly the same. They started off with inline 4's in like 96, and later got the famous inline 6's. So you could have been against anything from a 1.9l, or a 3.2l. The M Z3 is actually called an M Roadster, and you would definately notice if that is what was racing you, it's got quad exhaust pipes, and a silver chrome strip through the front quarter panel vents. But if you're sure that it was a factory hardtop then it would have come with a 2.9l or 3.0l engine, so by no means slow, but not a V8 killer, unless you wanted to autocross.
Old 01-30-2006, 10:34 PM
pcdrj
2nd Gear Member

TMG,

I've read that post before. If you notice the GT does have some mods.

Quick Reply: 06 unmodified GT vs. BMW