Notices
GT S197 General Discussion This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the V8 variation of the 2005 and newer Ford Mustang.

Safe Mode??? Tuner help needed

Search this Thread

Old 02-07-2006, 02:51 PM
The Ghost
3rd Gear Member

Default Safe Mode??? Tuner help needed

I had The Ghost at the Dyno this morning getting some numbers after the pully change several months ago. Got some very unexpected numbers. Pulled like hell to around 4200rpm and then just gave up!??!! I could barely get it to climb up to 5500rpm which is where I stopped at out of disgust. I did not do a wideband pull due to being on the dyno before and never having an issue. The dyno sheet shows spark interuption from about 4200rpm on. Does this sound like "safe mode"? Once on the street the car runs as strong as ever, leaps up to 6300rpm in a flash (which is what I had on previous Dyno runs) I went back to the shop and was told that they had run into this on the Dyno with mustangs due to the front wheels were not rolling. He said not all of the mustangs he has tuned did it either, and mine did not the first two times on the Dyno. He thinks it is the torque limiter sensing no front wheel speed thinking the car is spinning in the rear. Can a tune degrade to allow this? Any opinions?? I got 258.3HP @ 4700rpm (after spark interuption started) then it fell off the table to roughly 155hp @ 5500rpm And 286 ft/lb TQ @ 4200rpm then it dropped like a rock. These are DynoJet #'s And yes TC was off. BTW try to pull a Dyno run with TC on if you don't believe it works, the rear wheels will not move no matter how hard on the gas...NEET
Old 02-07-2006, 03:01 PM
757GT
I ♥ Acer

Default RE: Safe Mode??? Tuner help needed

That is strange, I have never heard of anything like that happening.
Old 02-07-2006, 03:51 PM
MusiccityGT
4th Gear Member

When I had mine Dynoed this weekend ( on a mustang dyno) it went into safe mode. With mine, the car would not come off of an idle. It was giving a code that said the throttle body actuator motor was stuck. They went nuts for a while, but then reset it and the next few pulls went fine. Do not know what they did to correct the issue. This was Friday night. When I came back staurday morning, they had the problem solved and were back on the dyno. They are great guys and I am sure that they would try to help you on the phone. http://www.delkperformance.com

When all was said and done, they got me 304.8 rwhp and 330 rwtq.
Old 02-10-2006, 09:46 PM
The Ghost
3rd Gear Member

Just an update. This seems to be pretty bad. Ever since the Dyno incident my car bucks and misses above 2500RPM when i put it under any load at all. It has gotten progressivley worse since being on the Dyno. I called Ford. I was told that for whatever reason the torque limiter appears to be cutting power all the time. They sugested I disconnect the battery wait five minutes and reconnect it. He said it will probably take some driving time for the computer to re-learn all the parimeters WTF!! The Tech I spoke with at Ford happened to have a GT and is into the tuning also. So he was very receptive to help out. He also said that if the problem doesn't go away to bring it in and he will re-load the factory tune. Has anyone EVER heard of anything like this? Man, all I did was strap the damn thing to a Dyno. It was running perfect up until that point.
Old 02-11-2006, 01:15 AM
Mustang7302

Reflash the ECU back to stock, disconnect the negative battery terminal for for 5 minutes while you keep the lights on. Connect the battery, and go drive the car some to let the ECU re-learn your eniroment and driveing style for 100 miles or so. While you do this, dont get on it real hard. Then start getting on it and see if the problem still persists. You may need to remove the C&L as well while you are on the stock flash. If all goes well, then put the C&L back on and re-flash the ECU and see if the problem occures again.