Notices
GT S197 General Discussion This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the V8 variation of the 2005 and newer Ford Mustang.

Car Nightmare OMG

Search this Thread

Old 02-08-2006, 09:05 PM
Secter
1st Gear Member

Default Car Nightmare OMG

So my '06 GT had 1050 miles on it when I was leaving work. After I started my car, the CEL did not go away. I turned it off and same thing - CEL is on. Drove it home and stopped at Autozone to get them to pull the code. The reader could not make a link at all. I called the dealership and they said they wouldn't be able to look at it tonight because their techs go home at 5pm, which IMO is BS because service is open till 7pm. I told him I would just try resetting the battery to get it cleared and see if it comes back on because I wouldn't be able to take it in until Monday, which is my day off. He told me that doesn't work any more. I also mentioned that Autozone couldn't even get a rid, and he kinda of got all wierd about how I shouldn't do that because they messed up their diagnostics.

So here are my questions:

Anyone else have the CEL on a NEW '06 GT come on around 1k miles?
Was the tech guy lying about the disconnecting the battery trick to clear the code?
Why would the reader not get a link?
How would me clearing/checking the code mess up their diagnostic (except for the fact the code would be cleared, therefore no immediate issue to be seen)?

The biggest reason I even got the new GT because my 2000 mustang had been throwing engine lights left and right when I had it. Would get it fixed and when I turned around, it would be back. It seems this stupid CEL is haunting me from car to car. I have only had my new GT for 2 weeks! The last 3 months have been car nightmare!
Old 02-08-2006, 09:13 PM
Mustang7302

Default RE: Car Nightmare OMG

Autozone may not have the software to talk to the 06 (05) ECU's just yet. As far as the code concerns, is there a self diagnostic process that you can do to get the ECU to tell you what the error code is; or has no one cracked it yet?

Take it to the dealer, let them sort it out and get a rental car covered under warrenty.
Old 02-08-2006, 09:20 PM
MusiccityGT
4th Gear Member

Probably right on the Zone software. A Predator will read it and has a detailed list of code def's. As far as the battery disconnect, it is rumored that the Spanish Moss has a backup battery in the precessor and if you leave your battery disconnected overnight, it will reset. Haven't had to try it so don't know. That came from a Ford master tech I know.
Old 02-08-2006, 09:25 PM
MusiccityGT
4th Gear Member

Did I say Spanish Moss? Duh... Spanish Oak.[sm=oopssign.gif]
Old 02-08-2006, 11:18 PM
blk05stang
2nd Gear Member

Make sure your fuel cap is tight. The CEL came on when I had under 1k miles and I disconnected the battery, tightened the fuel door and it never came back.
Old 02-08-2006, 11:21 PM
BlackB-U-TEE_06
2nd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: Secter

So my '06 GT had 1050 miles on it when I was leaving work. After I started my car, the CEL did not go away. I turned it off and same thing - CEL is on. Drove it home and stopped at Autozone to get them to pull the code. The reader could not make a link at all. I called the dealership and they said they wouldn't be able to look at it tonight because their techs go home at 5pm, which IMO is BS because service is open till 7pm. I told him I would just try resetting the battery to get it cleared and see if it comes back on because I wouldn't be able to take it in until Monday, which is my day off. He told me that doesn't work any more. I also mentioned that Autozone couldn't even get a rid, and he kinda of got all wierd about how I shouldn't do that because they messed up their diagnostics.

So here are my questions:

Anyone else have the CEL on a NEW '06 GT come on around 1k miles?
Was the tech guy lying about the disconnecting the battery trick to clear the code?
Why would the reader not get a link?
How would me clearing/checking the code mess up their diagnostic (except for the fact the code would be cleared, therefore no immediate issue to be seen)?

The biggest reason I even got the new GT because my 2000 mustang had been throwing engine lights left and right when I had it. Would get it fixed and when I turned around, it would be back. It seems this stupid CEL is haunting me from car to car. I have only had my new GT for 2 weeks! The last 3 months have been car nightmare!
no check engine light yet, and i have an 06 with 7k miles on it - yes i know....it's brand new...but i drive a lot dammit! definitely take it in and make ford give you a rental if they're going to keep it for the day.
Old 02-09-2006, 01:27 AM
MetalMech
1st Gear Member

Hubby had the check engine light come on and he tried the fuel cap - it went off the next day. He had about 2,000 miles on it. He took in into Ford anyway and they could not find anything on it. They said most likely it was the fuel cap - after he sat there for 4 hours! Good Luck with yours.
Old 02-09-2006, 02:19 AM
Secter
1st Gear Member

Doubt its the fuel cap, but I'll go out there and retighten it and see what happens in the morning.
Old 02-09-2006, 04:37 AM
Orion_240
6th Gear Member

I had the check engine light ultra-nightmare!
At 3500 miles my 2005 Gt was running rough when cold. One day the CEL comes on and stays on. Fuel cap was fine (how could anybody screw that up???). The dealer replaced an injector and it seemed ok. But next day, when doing 0-80 down a deserted highway the CEL comes on! Flashing, then staying on.
Took it to the dealer and they couldn't figure out the problem! The computer is too complicated for Ford techs! They'd fly in to LA, check my car, scratch their heads, and fly home. I am still thinking of returning it asking them to buy back my car except for the fact that I LOVE it and don't want to wait for a new one with all the correct options.
So I say as long as the car feels ok, just keep driving the hell out of it until it breaks and then they HAVE to replace it!
Old 02-09-2006, 12:50 PM
Secter
1st Gear Member

Yea, the gas cap was tight, and the light is still on. Probably going to have to wait until Monday to take it in.

Quick Reply: Car Nightmare OMG