Notices
GT S197 General Discussion This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the V8 variation of the 2005 and newer Ford Mustang.

Brake fluid Reservoir Cap leak

Search this Thread

Old 02-12-2006, 02:02 AM
gkosin
2nd Gear Member

Default Brake fluid Reservoir Cap leak

I had read that this has been an issue for some people. I was cleaning up my car today and noticed the leak happening on mine. I ended up taking one of my daughters head bands that is terry cloth and it fit perfect around the reservoir. At least the fluid won't be dripping down on the paint and causing the paint to come off. I will attach a photo. Hopefully Ford will get a cap that seals correctly.
Greg

[IMG]local://upfiles/26885/F9E59F9423654AA4B083532AF98F4EC0.jpg[/IMG]
Old 02-12-2006, 12:25 PM
ponyman
2nd Gear Member

Default RE: Brake fluid Reservoir Cap leak

Yeah I have the same problem. Next time I go in for other stuff, it will be on the list.

I saw the pictures before I fully read your post and I was going to have some lame asine comment about how cute the pink on the band was, but then I read the post and well it just isn't as fun anymore.....oh well....
Old 02-12-2006, 01:34 PM
gkosin
2nd Gear Member

Problem is I'm color blind and it looks White to me I should have known she would give me a Pink one! LOL She's such a diva. I'll have to replace it before I get laughed at to much.
Greg
Old 02-12-2006, 05:50 PM
hawgman
I ♥ Acer

Mine leaked back when the car was new ( a year ago ). Had the dealer replace it when I got my 1k service done, had not leaked since.
Old 02-13-2006, 02:15 PM
sowaxeman
Retired Moderator

Mine leaks occasionally, and my dealer had never heard of an issue with them. I took it off, cleaned it real good on the inside and re-installed and it seems to be fine. If it does it again I will use the headband trick - although I think black would be a MUCH better color
Old 02-13-2006, 05:28 PM
Orion_240
6th Gear Member

I thought is was a custom fit thing until the photo loaded completely and I saw the Adidas logo! Ha Ha!
Do you have any in Screaming Yellow?
Either way, let us know in a week or so if it gets wet from the fluid. That way when you go back to the dealer you can say "Yes, it IS leaking you "service" monkey! LOOK!"
Old 02-13-2006, 06:32 PM
pcdrj
2nd Gear Member

I've seen several of the leak including other Ford models (LS).
Old 02-14-2006, 02:53 AM
gkosin
2nd Gear Member

It's kind of funny how these ideas happen. I was just wiping the fluid off the outside of the reservoir and i thought to myself i needed some type of band to soak up any leak. Then I thought of the head band idea. I have a 9 year old daughter that ran for her room and what you see in the picture is what she came back with. I thought the whole thing was white but she now says the logo is pink. I guess if I need to keep it on there I will look for a better color for the Stang. I need to take it in for a drive shaft vibration so I will have them look at it.
Greg
Old 04-14-2006, 03:12 AM
Stoenr
5th Gear Member

Nice fix! Just turn it around so you dont see the logo, or flip it inside out.
Old 04-14-2006, 11:09 AM
Lucy2005
2nd Gear Member

Im kindof glad to see that others have this leak, that its not just mine. I was waiting to see if some flashy aftermarket tank became available, but I guess Ill just go to the dealer and get them to replace the tank. I hate to take the car in for something so minor. I hate not having the car for a day.

Quick Reply: Brake fluid Reservoir Cap leak