Notices
GT S197 General Discussion This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the V8 variation of the 2005 and newer Ford Mustang.

Supercharging 2005-06 3V GT

Search this Thread

Old 02-15-2006, 01:51 AM
woodywoody
2nd Gear Member

Default Supercharging 2005-06 3V GT

Since I move ALLLL over the place about what i want in a supercharger... I was wondering this basic thing. What is the most a stock engine can handle without hurting it? Once i figure this out, i will have a batter idea of the range i am looking at.

-W
Old 02-15-2006, 02:48 AM
AWIZRD

Default RE: Supercharging 2005-06 3V GT

According to Mustang Monthly 12/2005 issue - "the 4.6 was designed for 300 hp plus a stress safety margin. Steeda says the engine will live with 425hp as long as timing and fuel is managed to prevent detonation. Anything more than 425hp and You're just waiting to buy a new engine" - Dario Orlando

This article specifically said 2005 GT, but I'm assuming that it goes for 06 too. The problem is with the top ring land being moved up which means more heat and being prone to detonation...

Wonder how hard and expensive it is to put in better pistons like the kits I have seen through JRM Enterpises...Even have stroker kits!
Old 02-15-2006, 02:52 AM
woodywoody
2nd Gear Member

ohh wow so the pro charger at 480hp is a bit much then...

-W
Old 02-15-2006, 10:47 AM
pcdrj
2nd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: woodywoody

Since I move ALLLL over the place about what i want in a supercharger... I was wondering this basic thing. What is the most a stock engine can handle without hurting it? Once i figure this out, i will have a batter idea of the range i am looking at.

-W
It's hard to put a peak hp number without considering power curve, a/f, etc. Many cars are putting down 450+ hp with no problems. On the other hand some folks have blown it at 400. You need to look at boost more so than hp. I chose the Saleen because it has very efficient design making more power on less boost. The MOST important consideration is the tune. Getting a custom tune from a good tuner is money very well spent. JDM has done dozens of Saleen S/C's. Most of their cars are making 425-460 rwhp and to date, they have had no engine failures. Some of their cars have over 20k miles since the s/c.
Old 02-15-2006, 12:49 PM
woodywoody
2nd Gear Member

Hmm... Well Considering i plan to keep this car for a couple of years... Maybe a Supercharger is not a good idea right now?

-W
Old 02-15-2006, 03:26 PM
chevykiller
I ♥ Acer

ORIGINAL: woodywoody

Hmm... Well Considering i plan to keep this car for a couple of years... Maybe a Supercharger is not a good idea right now?

-W
If you're looking for on-demand power while keeping the car in saftey zone most of the time, I would recommend going with a nitrous kit and maybe a 100-150 shot. Make sure you get a custom tune for the nitrous (cause a/f goes all over the place) and plug in the tune when you want to use it. It will be a lot cheaper and will only be there when you want to use it. JMO
Old 02-15-2006, 04:22 PM
mustangman02232
6th Gear Member

it depends what kind of supercharger you want, i would go with a centrifical and run 10 psi of boost and get some gears and you will be all set, if you decide you want to run alot of boost you just have to switch to forged internals.
Old 02-15-2006, 11:41 PM
woodywoody
2nd Gear Member

basically i would use it for going really fast on the 0-60 or 0-80 on the daily driving but i dont race or redline the car over and over all the time. I just want the power to be there if i want it you know... but i dont want to go nitrous. I was told NEVER do Nitrous by a car guy i trust alot. Obviously the lower the boost the less stress on the engine. So i want to go less PSI with the most boost as i have heard the saleen and roush are good at. Should i just give up my expectations of having a s/c if i want to keep the car for a couple years? Or should i get a s/c like the roush or saleen and just make sure i dont redline it everytime i go out?

-W
Old 02-16-2006, 12:34 AM
ThisBlood147
5th Gear Member

As far as all the research I've done.......the Saleen series 6 charger is the best choice from a good-power-with-little-stress-on-the-engine standpoint. The Saleen can potentially make upwards of 100 extra horses on less than 7 psi boost. And from what i've been told, 8psi is really the safe limit for the stock 4.6 bottom end. You won't get better gains on less boost than you do with the Saleen. Most other charger kits will require 9psi or more for those kinds of gains. Bottom line, less boost means less stress on the engine. Less stress on the engine means less wear and tear. Less wear and tear means better engine longevity. This is why I'm installing the Saleen. If you're looking for mad street melting power, you'd be better off with a Vortech, Procharger, or KB setup. But you seem to want the same thing I'm looking for.....decent power addition with little sacrifice to engine life.
Old 02-16-2006, 12:35 AM
toolttime
2nd Gear Member

The roush tune won't let you redline they set the rev limiter. It really winds up but I never been able to look at tack when it does limit too much torque have to keep eyes on the road

Quick Reply: Supercharging 2005-06 3V GT