Notices
GT S197 General Discussion This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the V8 variation of the 2005 and newer Ford Mustang.

GT's w/TCS off all the time - Gas mileage?

Search this Thread

Old 02-17-2006, 07:51 PM
SonicStanGirl
2nd Gear Member

Default GT's w/TCS off all the time - Gas mileage?

I can feel a marked difference in the car between taking off with TCS on and when it is off. It really feels like the car is being held back with the TCS is on and you stomp on it.

I know there are some GT drivers who are probably religious about turning TCS off whenever you get in your car......for those of you who fit that bill....what kind of gas mileage are you getting?

Wondering if there is an increase to gas mpg with TCS off (and I haven't been turning it off religiously for long enough to get my own data).

Anyone?

Old 02-17-2006, 08:34 PM
757GT
I ♥ Acer

Default RE: GT's w/TCS off all the time - Gas mileage?

There is no increase in gas mileage by turning the traction control off. When you are driving normally whether it is on or off it is not doing anything. They system only does something if it detects wheel spin or the back end stepping out.
Old 02-17-2006, 09:06 PM
spyder7724
4th Gear Member

mine is turned off permanently and i've noticed no increase or decrease in mileage. i have noticed an increase in tire wear though[sm=gears.gif]
Old 02-18-2006, 05:13 PM
Daniel60
5th Gear Member

[sm=smiley32.gif]
Old 02-18-2006, 06:01 PM
PonyGT2005
2nd Gear Member

+1 [8D]
Old 02-18-2006, 06:37 PM
Stone
2nd Gear Member

I would have to disagree I drove my GT with the TCS for a few month and now turning it off is the first thing I do when i get in the car and my milage is down!!!

I mean now I am free to smoke the tires when ever i want to and man it is killing me haha no more sitting at a light and smashing the peddle only to have the car bog down as some natiz AI cuts my power off

But as far as True milage the TCS on or off will not change how much you get that will be determined by the lead in your foot.
Old 02-18-2006, 06:46 PM
chevykiller
I ♥ Acer

I programmed mine to be permanently off. I have the dumb swervy car warning light lit all the time but don't care. Your gas mileage is in no way affected by the traction control. T/C is a compter sensing device that engages when it senses wheel spin and is directly linked to your posi. When it detects one wheel spinning more than the other, it retards the timing for a hair of a second and makes the posi adjustment to keep both tires equal. It will have no affect on your car's MPG and you wouldn't even notice it being used unless you're constantly stomping on the gas in low gears or on some wet pavement. Leave it on for safety when regularly driving and turn it off when you want to stomp on it...[8D]
Old 02-20-2006, 05:03 PM
SonicStanGirl
2nd Gear Member

Interesting opinions. I don't mash the pedal or try to gas it all the time and break the tires free from the pavement....however, when driving NORMALLY with TCS on I can feel a marked down-play of power. As one other post had mentioned....it feels like it bogs even under normal accelleration. It feels like there is more than just an adjustment in the posi going on there. When you take off and put more pedal into an normal accelleration and something holds the power back...it would be logical that you would be using more gas to go the same speed as if you drove it with out that thing that is holding the power back.

Oh well, I'll do my own little research project and see what happens. So far...I have improved mpg by 2 points but I have a long way to go to make sure that isn't just a fluke.

Old 02-21-2006, 03:57 AM
Shard Phoenix
2nd Gear Member

TCS can decrease mileage. But under normal circumstances probably wont. When TCS fully engages your ignition timeing and throttle position are both changed. When you retard ignition you use more fuel. When you engage one brake or the other all the time (Which traction control does) its causing more HP to be needed, HP=fuel. Any time your brakes are engaged and your foot is on the accelerator your wasting gas.
Old 02-24-2006, 09:41 PM
SonicStanGirl
2nd Gear Member

Update: 1st tank of gas that I turned OFF the TCS every time I started up the car has gained me a solid 2 mpg increase. We'll see how the next tank goes.....

Quick Reply: GT's w/TCS off all the time - Gas mileage?