Notices
GT S197 General Discussion This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the V8 variation of the 2005 and newer Ford Mustang.

black soot in exhaust?

Search this Thread

Old 02-22-2006, 11:36 PM
05gtgreen
2nd Gear Member

Default black soot in exhaust?

hey, i noticed black soot in my exhaust, just wondering if this is anything to worry about, there appears to be more in the passenger exhaust(in the pipes). It also ran pretty poor tonight, just wondering if the 2 have anything to do with eachother? As in poor, I mean underpowered but it still reved fine. Thanks!
Old 02-23-2006, 12:05 AM
MusiccityGT
4th Gear Member

Default RE: black soot in exhaust?

Have you installed a canned tune? Any other mods? I was running rich with canned tunes. After a custom dyno tune, no more soot from rich mixture. If you are stock, you should not have soot. With the factory H-pipe or an aftermarket X or H you should have soot in both tips not just one unless you have an injector on one bank flooding and fouling a plug. Then one side "may" get more soot.
Old 02-23-2006, 01:33 AM
Tres Wright
4th Gear Member

You might be running rich, or you might just be doing too much stop-and-go driving. Try to take her out on the freeway and punch it a few times to blow the carbon out, then just drive for 15+ miles at freeway speeds and check the residue again.
Old 02-23-2006, 07:49 PM
05gtgreen
2nd Gear Member

The car is still factory, and I should mention that there isn't very much soot, enough to notice though. Both sides of the exhuast have it, but there appears to be a touch more on the passenger. Not sure if this matters, but it have been very cold the last while here, and I have been drivin it somewhat hard so maybe that might be the case. I was also just wondering about the exhuast fumes, when its cold outside and you can see the vapors, it smells really bad. I know fuel injected vehicles with cats smell bad but this stinks to me, just wondering if other vehicles are the same, thanks!
Old 02-23-2006, 08:38 PM
MusiccityGT
4th Gear Member

Mine wasn't stock long enough for me to notice! LOL....[sm=drooldude.gif]
Old 02-23-2006, 11:31 PM
Redfire
3rd Gear Member

If your engine is stock, this aint right. Mine was burning nice and clean till I put the Predator/C&L on, now its a touch sooty. Ill try and find a dyno shop in this area next spring and get it dialed in. But in your case, I'de hike it right back to the dealer.
Old 02-24-2006, 12:12 AM
05gtgreen
2nd Gear Member

the car burns nice and clean, the only reason i noticed this was cause i put my hand over the tips and there was a black ring on my palm. If it starts gettin crapy gas milage or runs worse I'll get it checked out. Any other thoughts?
Old 02-27-2006, 09:11 PM
Vidgomd
2nd Gear Member

what about me my car has black soot ,, i have a off road x- pipe and flow master mufflers with C&L intake and diablo tune..

is it bad that it makes that black soot.. also the exhaust since the x pipe is stinky..lol i kinda figured it would smell funnny though due to no cats..
Old 02-27-2006, 09:24 PM
MusiccityGT
4th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: Vidgomd

what about me my car has black soot ,, i have a off road x- pipe and flow master mufflers with C&L intake and diablo tune..

is it bad that it makes that black soot.. also the exhaust since the x pipe is stinky..lol i kinda figured it would smell funnny though due to no cats..
Have you're A/F checked.
Old 02-27-2006, 09:44 PM
Vidgomd
2nd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: MusiccityGT

ORIGINAL: Vidgomd

Have you're A/F checked.

how

Quick Reply: black soot in exhaust?