Notices
GT350 S550 Tech This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the new GT350 Mustang.

7 Takeaways on the New Shelby GT350 as a Daily Driver

Search this Thread

Old 11-05-2015, 05:04 PM
MustangForums Editor
MustangForums Editor

Default 7 Takeaways on the New Shelby GT350 as a Daily Driver

Saying that the new Shelby GT350 has earned its stripes as a track-day monster would be an understatement. But what’s it like as an everyday driver?

Read the rest on the Mustang Forums homepage. >>
Old 11-06-2015, 08:27 PM
jz78817
4th Gear Member

It's definitely a stiffer ride than even a performance pack GT, but with how comfortable the seats are it should be liveable. definitely not as teeth-rattling or kidney-jarring as my SRT-4.
Old 11-07-2015, 02:14 AM
Mr. D
4th Gear Member

DON'T BUY THE LOGIC - I'm not knocking the GT 350 in any way! I'm just pointing out that it is designed as a race car, rather than an around town cruiser or commuter car! I don't buy the lack of logic in the write up at all. It's simply a pro GT 350 writeup that didn't address the downsides much. The very stats on the engine performance (torgue at various RPMS) should tell anyone that it won't be the as good as a GT Premium for around town or to commute to work.... simply because it isn't designed for that, period. If you are going to race the car at high rpms & hit corners at high speeds it's likely the Mustang for you, but for me it has too many downsides for how I use a Mustang.

For my tastes & needs.... a GT Premium with a Roush Supercharger gives me 670 HP. with no downsides except spending money for the supercharger. A standard GT suspension corners better than by driving style requires. Pointing out that a GT 350 will not be as good for a daily driver is not "knocking it"! It's designed as a race car, not a daily driver. The Supercharged GT Premium I'm putting together will have the HP to scare the fertilizer out of me, corner better than my "nerves" will allow, cost me far less, & have no downsides for driving around town.

Everyone should get what they want, but they should think about what they really want & will enjoy before spending the cost of a GT 350, especially since there will likely be a large premium to be payed above the MSRP!
Old 11-09-2015, 09:08 AM
Cruzinaround
3rd Gear Member

The 2016 GT350 was Engineered by design to be a street car that you can race, the "R" has the distinction of being more of a racecar you can take to the street. ... The power band below 3500 RPMs is really mild, so driving around town it will be very livable. It wakes up above 3500 RPMs and that's where most of us who already drive the Coyotes head for the sweet spot. So its not going to be much different in terms of when and how to get to that power and torque band than what we are already used to. The very nature of the larger displacement lends a hand to this character in the VooDoo motor. Where the difference is ...in how the power band increases as the RPM's rise and how it keeps coming even up to redline. As far as the ride and damping....it will be as livable as many modern sports cars. In fact it will possibly remain more tolerable as a daily driver than many of us with the GT's and modded suspension setups. I'll add it's also a select-able traction setting that is inclusive of weather mode. An owner reviewer already posted a video explaining that driving his new car home to Colorado where there was snowfall and 3 inches already on the ground that the weather settings with the summer tires on the car yielded an experience where he felt the car knew what he was trying to do and he felt safe driving the car at safe speeds because the car nannies were in play the whole time. The active suspension actually helps. And the fact that its there also will change your experience when taking a long Apex or sharp corners. As the car doesn't dive as much or list as much as a traditional suspension. The entire genre of Modern Muscle car is about to be redefined with this car. Its a milestone vehicle for this class of car. And does in fact raise the bar for all that follow.

The mere fact that CAFE restrictions are over the horizon and a window of about a year, maybe 2 will push this car and anything like it out of existence for a very long time makes it the last of its kind, before you see smaller displacement boosted motors like what is in the FORD GT become the norm. NA high revving engines will become extinct. And this car in any variation will become a bookmark on the history of Mustangs reflecting a time when owning a modern American Muscle cars was pretty special.

Last edited by Cruzinaround; 11-09-2015 at 09:12 AM.
Old 11-09-2015, 06:26 PM
Mr. D
4th Gear Member

Cruzinaround,

Very nice post!

My comments are never to put down whatever car another person enjoys, but rather to discuss them so people get what they want... & it will meet their expectations. My comment was not intending to say that the GT 350 will be a problem around town, but that I suspect for a "daily driver or commuter car" some would be better off with a standard GT based on quite a few factors.

I think you are completely right that we are seeing the last of the 5.0L & larger motors & they may have increased value in future decades. CAFE standards maybe one of the reasons for limited production of the GT 350 if they go into the pool with all other Ford cars produced. My "personal" preference is for a GT Premium automatic with a 5.0L with a supercharger because they have no downside that comes along with the extra horsepower for an around town car. They drive like a stock GT until you put your foot in it & then you have 670 HP to scare you. Of course you won't have the handling characteristics of a GT 350 which will be amazing.

As I said jokingly, I'd like to drag race a GT 350 with an GT automatic & supercharger at 670 HP &...... "then wave a fond farewell" as the GT 350 goes around me in the turns! The GT 350 sounds like an exciting Mustang! If I win the Lotto I'll buy one of each!

Last edited by Mr. D; 11-09-2015 at 06:32 PM.
Old 11-10-2015, 11:54 AM
movielover40
4th Gear Member

I'm betting resale value on these cars years from now will be very good.
Old 11-10-2015, 03:14 PM
Cruzinaround
3rd Gear Member

Originally Posted by Mr. D
Cruzinaround,

Very nice post!

My comments are never to put down whatever car another person enjoys, but rather to discuss them so people get what they want... & it will meet their expectations. My comment was not intending to say that the GT 350 will be a problem around town, but that I suspect for a "daily driver or commuter car" some would be better off with a standard GT based on quite a few factors.

I think you are completely right that we are seeing the last of the 5.0L & larger motors & they may have increased value in future decades. CAFE standards maybe one of the reasons for limited production of the GT 350 if they go into the pool with all other Ford cars produced. My "personal" preference is for a GT Premium automatic with a 5.0L with a supercharger because they have no downside that comes along with the extra horsepower for an around town car. They drive like a stock GT until you put your foot in it & then you have 670 HP to scare you. Of course you won't have the handling characteristics of a GT 350 which will be amazing.

As I said jokingly, I'd like to drag race a GT 350 with an GT automatic & supercharger at 670 HP &...... "then wave a fond farewell" as the GT 350 goes around me in the turns! The GT 350 sounds like an exciting Mustang! If I win the Lotto I'll buy one of each!
I really only see a few MPG's as the difference between this car and the Mustang GT. As for handling and driver generalship.. the GT350 should have the advantage with the Magneride setup alone.

My GT suspension was too soft for me so I installed set of coilovers for the first year then sprung for a digital Airlift suspension that is from the driver's seat adjustable and literally and surprisingly very effective for Street, Strip and Track digital settings. More so than my Coilovers were..the convenience factor alone was worth it. Along with a slammed look when parked.

As far as ride... I suspect the Magneride will be above par or far better than what I was experiencing on my s197 with the Coilovers and now with the airlift. Maybe not as soft as the stock GT suspension, but, most of us don't like the stock suspension anyway as its one of the first things if not the first that we upgrade. Even with a performance Package a lot of mustang people still would scrap it for a better set of coilovers.

I'm sure even you did when you slapped the supercharger on yours???
Old 11-11-2015, 07:21 AM
1 Alibi 2
3rd Gear Member

Guessing the author has never been in a " high powered Mustang "..
" 3. MORE THAN HORSEPOWER – There’s no disputing the feeling you get from hammering down on the 526-horsepower GT350 and hearing that 526-horsepower. And yet, it’s a completely different feeling than any other high-powered Mustang to date. Remember that statement Ford made during the first unveiling of the car that it’s “the most balanced, nimble and exhilarating production Mustang yet”? Well, it’s true. The new Shelby is just so much more well-balanced as a higher-performance Mustang, more akin to some European vehicles in the segment, but with a cockier attitude. "
Old 11-11-2015, 10:31 AM
Cruzinaround
3rd Gear Member

I think he was referencing the experience of having that much horsepower on tap from an NA motor. Where the power still comes in gobs, but more linear, rather than like a motor with boost.
Old 11-12-2015, 03:59 AM
Mr. D
4th Gear Member

The description of the GT 350 tells clearly that it will be heads & shoulders better than a regular GT with a supercharger for racing mountain curve driving competition. It will be far more balanced for racing. My only point has been that a GT Premium with an automatic, Roush supercharger & some creature comforts missing on the GT 350 simply meets my needs better. I'm not a GT 350 customer.... but I can certainly appreciate one! It will be cool to see one on the streets!