Notices
GT350 S550 Tech This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the new GT350 Mustang.

sold my 2005 GT and bought a Shelby GT350

Search this Thread

Old 03-03-2019, 08:17 PM
2k05gt
4th Gear Member

Default sold my 2005 GT and bought a Shelby GT350

I sold my 2005 Mustang GT350, Mineral Gray in May 2018, I went to the Dealer to pickup a new one, but right there in the showroom was a beautiful car
it was a 2017 GT350, Ruby Red, Track Pack with Black Stripes with white accents... I walked around looking at other cars but my mind kept drifting back to the
Dark Red GT350, so I said the sales man, what can we work out on the GT350, I refuse to pay ADM, and I have purchased 8 cars from you in the past.
he came back after a few minuets and said sure.

First issue was they had to jump start the car since it's Build Date was September 2017, Dash number H6088. the Dealer let it idle for about 1 hour and still the
battery would not charge so they replaced it. ( keep this event in mind for the end)

I followed the Ford Manual on Break in but did take a 700 Mile trip to Erie PA to see family in June.
July 2018 I had the Oil changed at 2000 miles. this cost $192.00 10 Qts Motorcraft 5W 50 and a Canister Oil Filter.
In August I attended a Track attack event at a local Road Course track Dominion Raceway. This was a blast, I got to drive the car like it was meant
to be driven, it was increadable it handled like the proverbial "on rails" comments. I wanted more.

In September I went to the HPDE event at Summit point, WV. I checked my oil and noticed it was 4 qts low, I had 2 with me, I had to borrow 2 more.
I did not think nothing of it since it's been 2000 miles since my last oil change. and after the event I noticed I was down now 2 more qts.
I continued to monitor the oil at every fill up and noticed that I was always a qt low. By November it was getting worse, almost 2 qts per fillup
so I took it back to the Dealer in December and they did an Oil consumption test by giving it a complete oil change, marked the dip stick and put in some
die to check for leaks. I returned after the miles and they checked it , topped it off, and said to drive it again for 200 miles. I returned again and this time
Ford said to remove the Intake and valve covers to check for oil. I went to pick it back up and review the results with the mechanic and they said it was using
1 Quart evert 120 miles, they called it Excessive oil consumption and that Ford would most likely replace the motor. The service Tech told me that they never
replaced a motor in a GT350 so I was a bit concerned. At this point I had 9000 miles on the car and 2 track events

I decided to take it somewhere else and this time I asked around and met the Cheif Mechanic at a dealer in Northern Virginia who was also a Shelby expert and
has done a few of these. Unfortunately I had to repeat the entire process all over again. On Thursday February 7th 2019, I dropped the car off and this time
Ford Required that they do a Bore Scope on Cylinders 1, 2, & 3 since those plugs were caked with oil deposits., The Tech called me and said he had just submitted
all the information to Ford and we should here somthing in a day or two. He sent me a text 15 minuets later and said Ford Approved an Engine Replacment and
I should be in no later than February 13th by February 15th the car was ready. Awesome turn around.

SO I could not driver over there faster, and I mean literally since the loaner was a Ford Focus Hybrid, man that thing was slow...
The Tech showed me the Bore Scope images:

Oil pooling on Piston

a view of the head near the valves

some chunks of metal

Cylinder wall damage

The Tech Also showed me that Ford Sent a GT350R Motor

The New Motor has a Build date of December 12th 2018 but the Engine Build Code was for a 2019 GT350R

All in all it worked out fine, except this time I am breaking in this engine the right way.
The speculation was that the Dealer who let the car idle for over an hour may have caused what they call "Glaising"
of the cylinder walls due to prolonged Idle or consistant RPM's during the first 500 miles. this reduced the walls ability
to manage the oil properly and at high RPM the oil would not stick to the walls causing this type of failure.

Spring is around the corner and I cant wait again to hit the track and drive it like it is ment to be...
This time with an "R" motor

Last edited by 2k05gt; 03-03-2019 at 08:21 PM.
Old 03-03-2019, 08:30 PM
2k05gt
4th Gear Member

So here is my 2017 Ruby Red Shelby GT350, I call Deadpool, because of the color obviously.

Old 03-03-2019, 10:40 PM
99GTvert
is my username.

That sucks you needed a new motor.... interesting though about that theory. I've heard it's best to vary the rpms on a new engine during break in. Kinda ****ty that selling dealer didn't know, or take into consideration.
Old 03-03-2019, 10:55 PM
2k05gt
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by 99GTvert
That sucks you needed a new motor.... interesting though about that theory. I've heard it's best to vary the rpms on a new engine during break in. Kinda ****ty that selling dealer didn't know, or take into consideration.
it does, but it is what it is, I mean its a High Compression Hand built performance V8 engine that redlines at 8250 RPM. it makes 101 HP per Liter NA.
Oh and the dealer never even told me there was a break in period

And yes that is the proper way, The tech said to Row through the gears, give it some load but for the first 200 miles not to go over 4500 RPM,then gradualy increase
the load and RPMs, but don't baby it, the rings need load then ease, load, then ease by 1000 miles the Rings should be seated. then I can start redline pulls.

One guy put it like this, he would drive down the highway in 3rd, do pulls 1/2 to 3/4 pedel from 50 to 70 mph, drop back to 50, then to it again
this was his drive to work everyday for the first 200 miles.
Old 05-09-2019, 02:12 PM
Sveta

Smile

Originally Posted by 2k05gt
it does, but it is what it is, I mean its a High Compression Hand built performance V8 engine that redlines at 8250 RPM. it makes 101 HP per Liter NA.
Oh and the dealer never even told me there was a break in period

And yes that is the proper way, The tech said to Row through the gears, give it some load but for the first 200 miles not to go over 4500 RPM,then gradualy increase
the load and RPMs, but don't baby it, the rings need load then ease, load, then ease by 1000 miles the Rings should be seated. then I can start redline pulls.

One guy put it like this, he would drive down the highway in 3rd, do pulls 1/2 to 3/4 pedel from 50 to 70 mph, drop back to 50, then to it again
this was his drive to work everyday for the first 200 miles.
kinda funny to drive this way
Old 05-09-2019, 03:15 PM
proeagles
4th Gear Member

Why don't people read the owner's manual anymore? I would never rely on the dealer for information like that. I can count on one or two fingers the number of salesmen who actually knew their product inside and out. I took my GT350 for a test drive and the salesman never said a word about limiting RPM or slamming on the brakes as a precaution. Fortunately I knew enough not to flog a brand new car from experience. He commented about easy I took it compared to the last guy he took a test drive with. I asked if that was in my car and he said no, it was another one they had. I chose to believe him and bought the car anyway.