Notices
Handling Performance Any questions about suspension, steering, tires, or rims can be asked here!

Let's talk about tire diameter.

Search this Thread

Old 03-18-2009, 02:39 PM
BruceH
5th Gear Member

Last edited by BruceH; 12-05-2010 at 10:48 AM.
Old 03-18-2009, 03:34 PM
157dB
Cut & Paste Expert

Originally Posted by Big Top Gt
:115: The answer is in the weight of the car. :115:
When you put the weight of the car on the tires, two things happen: the sidewall compresses, and the tread flattens out. Flattening out the rubber tread against the ground effectively decreases the overall circumference of the tire. This gives you more revolutions per mile than using the simple calculation above.

Think "Silly putty on a news paper." (An over-simplification, I know, but you get the point.)
I would have to agree to disagree.
If the Revs/Mile changes that much to make a difference,
your tires would last no time at all. The tread cant deform
that much when it conforms to the road surface in the
form of a contact patch to change the revs/mile enough
to notice any amount of different speedo readings.
So, now we realize a need to use a different calculation to get the value you need to properly correct the speedometer. This leaves you with two choices.
  1. Mark the tire and the ground. Then roll the car forward one complete revolution, measuring the distance between the marks.
  2. Take the distance from the center-line of the wheel down to the surface and multiply it by 6.283.

I use the second method, because while it's hard to get a measurement that's 100% accurate even to 1/10th of an inch, you can get pretty close with a simple tape measure. It's also a lot less work than marking the ground/tire and rolling the car around.

The next time you think about changing tires, hopefully now you know how to figure out the proper diameter and revolutions per mile you have to enter into your programmer.
Get a fabric tape measurer, tape it to the tire and roll over it
with the weight of the vehicle on the tire and measure the
overall diameter. You will find that it very closely matches
the diameter when the tire is jacked up and unloaded from
the vehicle weight.

Last edited by 157dB; 03-18-2009 at 03:40 PM.
Old 03-18-2009, 04:38 PM
AmericanSpeed
5th Gear Member

As long as my car is moving faster than the other guy's, then I know everything is calibrated correctly.
Old 03-18-2009, 05:31 PM
moosestang
6th Gear Member

Originally Posted by 157db
WHAT

How did we ever put a man on the moon with thinking like this?
A lot of people would debate that!

My speedo is off by 3-5mph, i'm going slower than the speedo indicates. I used an online calculator to get the revs per mile.
Old 03-18-2009, 07:47 PM
Big Top Gt
3rd Gear Member

Originally Posted by 157db
I would have to agree to disagree.
If the Revs/Mile changes that much to make a difference,
your tires would last no time at all. The tread cant deform
that much when it conforms to the road surface in the
form of a contact patch to change the revs/mile enough
to notice any amount of different speedo readings.
Then I'm going to need for you to explain the phenomenon of the math being different than the manufacturer's specs.

I think I went through this pretty thoroughly, but here's my spreadsheet. If I'm wrong, please help me figure this out so I can fix the write up.

You're talking about a difference of up to 3 inches in diameter between loaded and unloaded circumference.

The pure math of the whole thing gives you one number, but the actual and physical measuring gives you significantly more revolutions per mile.

Lucy, you've got some splainin' to do.

Last edited by Big Top Gt; 03-18-2009 at 07:49 PM.
Old 03-18-2009, 07:48 PM
Big Top Gt
3rd Gear Member

Originally Posted by BruceH
The old fashioned way to check a speedo is to drive 1 mile at 60 mph. If it takes 60 seconds your speedometer is correct.
I've been just using the special speedometer check 5 mile sections the interstates around here have and comparing with the odometer. I'll do it the old fashioned way one of these days just to compare.
Ok, that I get.

How can you calculate the Revolutions Per Mile correction in your tuner using that method, though?

This information is basically wrapped around my need to fix the tire RPM's in my X3.
Old 03-18-2009, 09:11 PM
BruceH
5th Gear Member

Last edited by BruceH; 12-05-2010 at 10:49 AM.
Old 03-18-2009, 09:25 PM
SellingPalmBeach

Default Best Tire Calc That I've Found

When changing from the stock 17 wheels and 235/55/17 tires to Steeda 18 X 9.5's with 275/40/18's I noticed that the new tire was actually shorter in height due to smaller sidewall. This tire calc was the best that I found showing revs per mile, tire height circum. etc.

http://net-comber.com/tirecalc.html
Old 03-19-2009, 11:25 AM
Big Top Gt
3rd Gear Member

Originally Posted by BruceH
This is how I said I calculated revs per mile.

It's only a few posts back.
No, I get you there and I think that would definitely tell you right away if the speedo is right or wrong, but is there a way to use the information you get from that test to help actually calibrate the speedo?

Now that I think about it a little more, I bet a little hand held GPS would be helpful in the matter, too. Can't you get some that have a speedo built in based on the satellite?
Old 03-19-2009, 11:32 AM
Big Top Gt
3rd Gear Member

Originally Posted by SellingPalmBeach
When changing from the stock 17 wheels and 235/55/17 tires to Steeda 18 X 9.5's with 275/40/18's I noticed that the new tire was actually shorter in height due to smaller sidewall. This tire calc was the best that I found showing revs per mile, tire height circum. etc.

http://net-comber.com/tirecalc.html
If you use that calculator, you'll see exactly where I was confused.

Plug in the tire sizes used in my example and compare the calculated revs per mile compared to what the manufacturer gives you.

The Pirelli, for example, is short by roughly 25 revs per mile, whereas the ET Street is off by as much as 15. It's closer to some, but the math still isn't spot on.

Quick Reply: Let's talk about tire diameter.