Notices
Handling Performance Any questions about suspension, steering, tires, or rims can be asked here!

need street suspension advice

Search this Thread

Old 12-30-2009, 04:50 PM
raywang5
2nd Gear Member

Default need street suspension advice

well, i m kind of confused which kind of suspension should i buy, my purpose is on the street, get better handling corner and straight line acceleration. my option is Steeda, Roush, and Saleen. and i mean full suspension upgrade, front & rear bar, spring, control arms, etc. any help will be appreciate.
Old 12-30-2009, 05:14 PM
BadSteed
1st Gear Member

You know I have been reading and reading these forums over and over, with the same questions coming to mind. There are people with speed shops , people who race and people who just want the look. I ran a porsche911 before buying the mustang. I scca it a little. I am finding that good adjustable shocks, sway bars, good performance tires are a great start to good handling! The lowerering kits are great but you have to go the full coarse if you want everything to be right.Its always a question about money too. Get your foundation down first, then build your car from there. That way you will get the most out your car. A stock mustang is no slouch! you can go along way with good shocks, sway bars, and performance tires
Old 12-30-2009, 09:40 PM
raywang5
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by BadSteed
You know I have been reading and reading these forums over and over, with the same questions coming to mind. There are people with speed shops , people who race and people who just want the look. I ran a porsche911 before buying the mustang. I scca it a little. I am finding that good adjustable shocks, sway bars, good performance tires are a great start to good handling! The lowerering kits are great but you have to go the full coarse if you want everything to be right.Its always a question about money too. Get your foundation down first, then build your car from there. That way you will get the most out your car. A stock mustang is no slouch! you can go along way with good shocks, sway bars, and performance tires
well,thanks..if u ar talking about money, thats not my concern. i need advises between those 3 performance suspensions. and if u have better suggestion, i will be glad to listen.
Old 12-31-2009, 01:47 AM
gman73
5th Gear Member

You can't have your cake and eat it too. If you want your car to be a corner carver then it will suffer in the straight line. If you want your car to be able to launch in a straight line, then your cornering will suffer. Each application has different set-ups.
Old 12-31-2009, 08:55 AM
Norm Peterson
6th Gear Member

Originally Posted by raywang5
well, i m kind of confused which kind of suspension should i buy, my purpose is on the street, get better handling corner and straight line acceleration. my option is Steeda, Roush, and Saleen. and i mean full suspension upgrade, front & rear bar, spring, control arms, etc. any help will be appreciate.
You really should add Sam Strano's stranoparts.com to that list. He's a fairly active member here, mostly in the 'S197 Handling Section'.

But FWIW, most of the mods that improve dragstrip launch performance introduce some oversteer during hard cornering. Maybe only a little, or it might be a lot depending on the total combination, road conditions, and just how hard you are cornering. It's not like you can only have massive understeer or huge oversteer - there's a whole range in between. Probably the best place to be for a street driver is a little understeer. Enough that you don't feel nervous driving it or get "white knuckles", but not so much that it feels clumsy to drive. That isn't going to be the same for everybody, maybe not even for the same person under all road conditions, so I urge that you put a little thought into it.

My opinion, which is admittedly biased toward cornering, is that you can make a corner-carver be better at accelerating than you can get a dragstrip sort of car to turn corners. So unless the dragstrip and the first 60 feet coming off the traffic light are far more important to you, I'd suggest giving priority to handling.

Now, what kind of cornering situations would you like the car to be better at? (I'm looking for the car behaviors that you want to change, not the parts that you want to change them with.)

Norm

Last edited by Norm Peterson; 12-31-2009 at 08:59 AM.
Old 12-31-2009, 08:55 AM
Nuke
6th Gear Member

You should post this question in the S197 Handling Section. Sam Strano and a few others can give you your options. There's no black and white answer to this and it really depends on what you want the car to do and how you intend to drive it. IMO, unless you're pushing more power than a few bolt-ons, you don't need to do much for performance other than wider, stickier tires and shocks in addition to lowering for show based on how you intend to drive.
Old 12-31-2009, 09:23 AM
pascal
S197 Section Modder-ator

This thread needs to be moved there...
But yeah, shocks, springs and better sway bars will change the car for the better.
Even at stock height.
Old 12-31-2009, 09:53 AM
2010V6Stang
BEWARE! Possible Scammer

After that you can get even more advanced with control arms and PHB and stuff too.
Old 01-02-2010, 11:39 AM
jodadejss06gt
1st Gear Member

From my research and with money not being a problem, I'd go with the Koni Sports (I went with the Koni Str.t cuz it is a problem), if body roll is an issue then the Strano adjustable front and rear sways. The steeda sports seem to be very popular, but I went with the Steeda Ultra-lites. I wanted it lower, but I think Sam has mentioned that stock springs have really good spring rate and do really well for handling. Hopefully he will chim in, but you could always look him up. He's a stand up guy and he knows tons about our cars. 800-729-1831 is the number, give him a call. He'll set you straight.