Notices
Handling Performance Any questions about suspension, steering, tires, or rims can be asked here!

335/30R 20 on 2013 GT500

Search this Thread

Old 05-21-2013, 03:12 AM
angryBits
2nd Gear Member

Default 335/30R 20 on 2013 GT500

I live in San Francisco where the weather is often cold even in the summer and these tires don't warm up quick enough. After one too many slip n' slides my wife has given me the go ahead spend $ $ on better traction

I know this has been asked many times, and I've searched, but I haven't seen any facts.

Will a 335/30ZR20 fit on a 2013 Shelby GT500?

If so, can anyone tell me step by step what I need to do to make this happen?

My hope is to just have my rear SVT wheels widened to 11.5 and put PS2 335/30ZR20s on the back, but I've heard things that make me think maybe its not that easy.

Thanks
Old 05-21-2013, 06:59 AM
Jazzer The Cat
Retired Moderator

No, it is certainly not as easy as just widening wheels to accomodate a wider tire, you must consider back-spacing gained by widening. The wheel will ONLY get wider to the inside, and are running 9.5" wheels currently. This means, you would need a 2" spacer to bring the face of the wheel back to where it is right now. I would never in 1 million years recommend such a spacer under any conditions.

The images appear to be gone now. but ***HERE*** is a guy that was running 335's on an 18" wheel after he started with wheels to fit an earlier model year. If you want improved grip, look to a smaller diameter wheel and add some sidewall height. You are gonna have a tough time getting grip in the dry with even the most aggressive Summer-only tire.

Jazzer
Old 05-21-2013, 11:13 PM
angryBits
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by Jazzer The Cat
No, it is certainly not as easy as just widening wheels to accomodate a wider tire, you must consider back-spacing gained by widening. The wheel will ONLY get wider to the inside, and are running 9.5" wheels currently. This means, you would need a 2" spacer to bring the face of the wheel back to where it is right now. I would never in 1 million years recommend such a spacer under any conditions.

The images appear to be gone now. but ***HERE*** is a guy that was running 335's on an 18" wheel after he started with wheels to fit an earlier model year. If you want improved grip, look to a smaller diameter wheel and add some sidewall height. You are gonna have a tough time getting grip in the dry with even the most aggressive Summer-only tire.

Jazzer
I was thinking of 20x11s with 335s which would be 35-40mm spacers. Yeah now that I think about it that is pretty big for spacers... Doh!

Can you tell me why a smaller wheel and taller sidewalls improves traction? I would think that would make the rear end sloppy?

I'm not s interested in forward traction, I'm mostly looking for improved lateral traction.

Thanks
Old 05-22-2013, 07:34 PM
Jazzer The Cat
Retired Moderator

If you're looking for lateral grip, yes.... a smaller sidewall is going to offer improved grip. I was thinking you were looking for off the line, as we are a rare bunch on the forums Since the GT500 is geared more toward going fast straight, I made an assumption You will certainly have to make a compromise, as good lateral grip tires are not going to keep your very high HP/T in check easily. You are just going to have to continue to be diligent on throttle input rounding corners. Being in SF and only 30 minutes from where I am sitting at this very moment, you can easily get away with a Summer-only tire year round You will get as many opinions as options for tires, but I happen to LOVE the Michelin PS2's I run on my Winter wheels (run R888's on my Summer only wheels) The Michelins are fine in the wet, but hold a latteral line VERY well after 10 minutes of driving when it is very cold outside. I don't know that I would get much more aggressive on Summer-only tires, unless you pretty much park your car over the Winter.

Ya, I am not a fan of such a thick spacer, as it places more strain on the lugs, bearings and axles. Don't much like the "hidden" lugs behind the wheel either, but maintenance will take care of any issues there.

What say you?

Jazzer
Old 05-23-2013, 02:19 AM
angryBits
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by Jazzer The Cat
If you're looking for lateral grip, yes.... a smaller sidewall is going to offer improved grip. I was thinking you were looking for off the line, as we are a rare bunch on the forums Since the GT500 is geared more toward going fast straight, I made an assumption You will certainly have to make a compromise, as good lateral grip tires are not going to keep your very high HP/T in check easily. You are just going to have to continue to be diligent on throttle input rounding corners. Being in SF and only 30 minutes from where I am sitting at this very moment, you can easily get away with a Summer-only tire year round You will get as many opinions as options for tires, but I happen to LOVE the Michelin PS2's I run on my Winter wheels (run R888's on my Summer only wheels) The Michelins are fine in the wet, but hold a latteral line VERY well after 10 minutes of driving when it is very cold outside. I don't know that I would get much more aggressive on Summer-only tires, unless you pretty much park your car over the Winter.

Ya, I am not a fan of such a thick spacer, as it places more strain on the lugs, bearings and axles. Don't much like the "hidden" lugs behind the wheel either, but maintenance will take care of any issues there.

What say you?

Jazzer
Agreed on the spacers.
Disagree on the assumption of going fast straight

The car handles excellently, the problem is you really need to be careful on the throttle.

After doing a lot of reading on the amount of work to get appropriately wide tires on a Mustang (widen wheels and cutting bump stops and other fiddling), I think I'm going to see if I can get a Racelogic Traction Control system installed.

Know anyone that has done that? I hate being the first on stuff like this :/
Old 05-23-2013, 07:26 AM
Jazzer The Cat
Retired Moderator

I am going to send this thread over to the S197 Performance Handling section. The pepes over there know much more about your particular suspension and will be able to better guide you through improved grip in this reguard.

I will leave a link in the Tires & Wheels section for a month, as tires are still a primary need for your goals.

Jazzer wishes angry be happy with upcoming info
Old 05-24-2013, 11:28 AM
angryBits
2nd Gear Member

Thanks for your help
Old 06-02-2013, 01:26 PM
angryBits
2nd Gear Member

If I were to widen my wheels to put wider tires, does anyone know how much wider I could safely go without relocating my rear bump stops?

Currently not lowered but I'd like to leave a 1" drop open for the future.

Thanks