In Memory Of... Post a thread in memorial of a loved one. Pictures and thoughts are welcome.

WV coal miners lost in explosion

Search this Thread

Old 04-06-2010, 12:05 PM
SaddleUp
5th Gear Member

Default WV coal miners lost in explosion

We have suffered a tremendous loss in my community here in southern West Virginia.

A methane gas explosion occurred yesterday at a deep mining site, trapping 30 miners thousands of feet underground. 25 have been found, dead. One survivor is fighting for his life in intensive care at a local hospital. 4 have yet to be located, and the search efforts are temporarily suspended due to toxic levels of methane.

These were some of the finest men you'd ever meet. They were doing what they do best:
working very hard to provide for their families.

Please remember the families, and if you believe...say a prayer for them.

Thank you.
Old 04-07-2010, 12:33 PM
Red ll iine GT
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by SaddleUp
We have suffered a tremendous loss in my community here in southern West Virginia.

A methane gas explosion occurred yesterday at a deep mining site, trapping 30 miners thousands of feet underground. 25 have been found, dead. One survivor is fighting for his life in intensive care at a local hospital. 4 have yet to be located, and the search efforts are temporarily suspended due to toxic levels of methane.

These were some of the finest men you'd ever meet. They were doing what they do best:
working very hard to provide for their families.

Please remember the families, and if you believe...say a prayer for them.

Thank you.
one was my cousin..i pray for my aunt every day. the site is an hour away from me.
Old 04-07-2010, 02:22 PM
SaddleUp
5th Gear Member

I am so sorry to hear about your loss. This situation has been so hard on the families, but they will pull through. You cannot break their spirits to survive.

My condolences.

Last edited by SaddleUp; 04-07-2010 at 02:32 PM.
Old 04-07-2010, 06:22 PM
effin' speedracer
2nd Gear Member

Coal miners are some of the toughest people on the planet, miracles do happen (just a few miles frome here at Quecreek) I pray that the methane levels are not too high throughout the mine and they found somewhere safe.
Old 04-08-2010, 02:19 PM
SaddleUp
5th Gear Member

Wherever you are.....we'll be right here waiting for you.

A Coal Miner's Prayer
Each dawn as I rise, Lord, I know all to well
I face only one thing — a pit filled with Hell.
To scratch out a living the best that I can.
But deep in this heart lies the soul of a man.

With black-covered faces and hard calloused hands,
We ride the dark tunnels, our work to begin.
To labor and toil as we harvest the coal.
We silently pray, “Lord, please harvest our souls!”

I'd take a man of virtue, willing to sacrifice for his family than all the riches of this world.
My heart is filled with pride for my fallen WV men.

Last edited by SaddleUp; 04-08-2010 at 02:21 PM.
Old 04-08-2010, 02:47 PM
iROK24/7
2nd Gear Member

My heart goes out to all those affected by the coal mine accident too. What a risky way of life those people live!

As a Nuclear Engineer, it strikes me how well folks react to a tragedy like this one - I mean, if anyone ever died in an accident related to NUCLEAR power they'd be rioting in the streets to ban nukes forever... however it's somehow "honorable & acceptable" when people routinely get killed in support of coal power which is the major source of CO2 responsible for global warming, causes acid rain, air pollution, black lung, etc.
Old 04-08-2010, 04:41 PM
DRAGUL
5th Gear Member

My prayers and condolences go out to the families. I Know what they are going through. Lost one grandfather when he was crushed to death during a cave in and the other to black lung. And iroc24/7 it is accepted because it has been this way for so long. We live in the richest country in the world but people do not want to accept that in appalachia there is alot of dirt poor people. Coal mining is the only way of life for them there dads did it there granddads did it. I thank god my father decided to join the military so he could get out of the mines. It is a risky way of life but when you got nothing else what are you going to do
Old 04-08-2010, 07:09 PM
SaddleUp
5th Gear Member

I wouldn't react any other way. This is a very dangerous industry. These men are crawling down into the deep core of the earth to perform their jobs. The mines will NEVER be a safe place to work, but you don't hear the men out whining and complaining. Every single miner knows that when he crosses that threshold to go down into the mines, he may never come out....and THAT to me takes a brave individual . Yes WV has many underprivileged areas, but these men are anything but uneducated indigents. They are dedicated and worthy people who put their families well-being and livelihoods first. They want a better way of life, and they aren't afraid to bust their asses for it. What does make me upset is the greedy bastards in executive positions of these mining corporations that sidestep safety measures in pursuit of a g-damn dollar at the expense of someone's life.

People coal mine because it is a very valuable and necessary resource for this country. I would hate to see where we would be without the contributions of West Virginian coal mines and fields. We supply vast amounts of energy to millions of people every single day.
These men were a part of a greater vision. They were performing a job that was hard, difficult, dangerous, AND necessary. I am proud to say I am from coal country. No amount of backlash and whining will take that away.

As for global warming, I can do nothing but LAUGH. Were you anywhere close to the northeast these past 3-4 months?? Massive snowfalls and record low temperatures? How much colder do you want this country to get???

Frankly Irok, I am shocked at your response. I would have expected a little more tact and respect from an educated man such as yourself. This is not a thread to debate energy resources of our country. It is a memorial thread meant to remember the lives lost of several good and hardworking men.
Old 04-09-2010, 06:25 AM
iROK24/7
2nd Gear Member

Shella I'm truly sorry - it wasn't my intention to be tactless or less than respectful at all.

Each of us is shaped by life experiences and education; mine made me reflect on the way "time & tradition" have shaped people's minds to accept the inherent danger of coal mining. I am saddened as you are to see the value of these people's lives be minimized by those who profit from coal. The public's acceptance of the coal industry's routine risk of life to their employees for such a pollution-producing form of energy as compared to the generally ignorant attitude of the public with regard to the nuclear power industry, which is hyper-vigilant concerning public safety & the production of clean energy strikes me rather poinantly.

My intent was to honor the lost miners by pointing out how their loss is "accepted"... sorry I waxed philosophical in the process... I understand, in retrospect, how you being SO close to the tragedy might see my comments in a different context than I intended. Peace be with you, respected friend, and with the families of these lost heros.
Old 04-09-2010, 09:06 AM
SaddleUp
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by iROK24/7
Shella I'm truly sorry - it wasn't my intention to be tactless or less than respectful at all.

Each of us is shaped by life experiences and education; mine made me reflect on the way "time & tradition" have shaped people's minds to accept the inherent danger of coal mining. I am saddened as you are to see the value of these people's lives be minimized by those who profit from coal. The public's acceptance of the coal industry's routine risk of life to their employees for such a pollution-producing form of energy as compared to the generally ignorant attitude of the public with regard to the nuclear power industry, which is hyper-vigilant concerning public safety & the production of clean energy strikes me rather poinantly.

My intent was to honor the lost miners by pointing out how their loss is "accepted"... sorry I waxed philosophical in the process... I understand, in retrospect, how you being SO close to the tragedy might see my comments in a different context than I intended. Peace be with you, respected friend, and with the families of these lost heros.
Forgive me, iROk, as I misread your intentions with your post. I suppose I am very upset and shaken by what has happened to these men close to my home. I should have known better that you wouldn't have been disrespectful.

I hope you accept my apologies.

Thank you for your kind words.

The lastest update is they cannot physically make it to the last four miners trapped within the explosion area. They were called back out of the mines yet a third time as the rescuers found smoke and fire close to the second rescue chamber, and the methane level continues to be in explosive range. Time is running out for the possibility of finding the last four alive, even if they did reach the safety of the chamber. I pray God gives them peace the last moments of their lives.

Last edited by SaddleUp; 04-09-2010 at 09:08 AM.

Quick Reply: WV coal miners lost in explosion