Mach 1 Section This section is for discussions relating to the reincarnation of the Mach 1 trimline.

2004 Mach 1 - Bolt-on's for starters?

Search this Thread

Old 06-10-2007, 08:45 PM
jerseyguy

Default 2004 Mach 1 - Bolt-on's for starters?

I've got a 2004 Mach 1 - can a CAI be installed in conjunction with the shaker? Sorry if this is a silly question, but I'm not sure if it would really help much considering the air passes into the engine through the shaker anyway...If so, how much if any noticable power boost would there be?

Also, I've read about Iridium plugs - they claim these boost acceleration significantly and other benefits - any truth to it?

4.10's - Gears are relatively inexpensive to buy, is it worth it, and if so how much would installation generally cost (if you've had them installed).

Exhaust - in my opinion, the stock exhaust is rather sexy, has a nice throaty growl to it and is heard easily from a block away. In terms of performance however, should I swap it out for an aftermarket kit, and if so which one? I don't want a japped-out sounding exhaust at all, if I did I'd buy a honda and cut it up so I was heard down the road lol. Just something that screams "there's power under this hood", sounds nice, provides a good boost in performance.

Thanks guys, I'm sure I'll get a lot of awesome expert feedback. Love this place.
Old 06-11-2007, 12:12 AM
Machwon
4th Gear Member

Default RE: 2004 Mach 1 - Bolt-on's for starters?

The only silly questions are ones that arn't asked

As far as a cold air kit- many CAIswill still keep the shaker functional- but remember the shaker is only minimally functional from the factory- the majority of intake air is brought in from the fender area. Kits such as JLT, C&L, and MRT all have shaker adapter boxes to retain the shaker inlet tube. Now the bad part is that these kits wont yield much gain- maybe 5rwhp max on a dyno...but they are a nice touch nonetheless.

Iridium plugs are a nice touch as well- but you won't notice much gains with a stock heat range replacment plug- and if you go to a colder plug like the NGK TR6 (copper)you will actually probably lose a pony or two because of the richer a/f it will create. A nice iridium plug like the NGK TR55IX may give you a pony or two- especially if your current / and or stock plugs are old and fowled up.

Finally as far as exhaust goes....The stock system sounds great....until you hear an aftermarket system and then you entire opinion tends to change lol. I would recommend any Magnaflow, Borla, or SLP catback, but kits like Flowmaster, Mac, etc are good too- just personal taste. If you are replacing more that just the catback try looking into Longtube headers- they are expensive and the install is a lot of $$$ normally- but no other bolt on short of cams gives you the kind of HP gains that longtubes will. Some companys include Hooker, BBK, SLP, and Kooks.

Finally 4.10 gears are about the best bang for the buck mod for these cars. These machs are rpm crazy and 4.10 gears will get you to the peak hp/tq points much faster = lower ETs and a faster car. An average install will run from 200-400 bucks. Good luck!

Old 06-11-2007, 12:17 AM
mustangman02232
6th Gear Member

1.) yes, and minor increase really
2.) no
3.) 4.10s kick ***, 4.30s are even better, especially with t3650s
4.) you can go with a whole catback, id go something like SLP, or if you just watn to replace the mufflers jegs has force pro series mufflers, which are pretty much flowmasters, but aluminzed 16 guage and dont have the annoying poping sound, and there $35

id also throw a short throw shifter in there, and you will need a hand held tuner
Old 06-11-2007, 09:26 AM
203Mach1ne
4th Gear Member

I would go with a JLT Ram Air Intake, any straight through catback paired with an X-pipe (SLP, Magnaflow, etc.) or really and stainless exhaust system...and 4.10 gears if you know a good installer..forget about plugs for now..Oh and definitely a short shifter--recommend MGW
After these minor bolt ons, it would be nice to get some stickier tires, especially if you plan on going to the track...and maybe some minor suspension work (Lower control arms, etc.)
Old 06-12-2007, 06:22 PM
DaMach04
4th Gear Member

the other guys already gave you some good info so i wont go into great detail..

but i have a C&L CAI on my 2004, it works fine. like they said tho, not much gain.

however, as far as exhaust goes. If you are not on a budget, i would go full bassani. with the CAI, and full bassani, i make 291rwhp 311rwtq. Everyone who has heard my car says it is the best sounding stock mustang they ever heard, i wish i had a sound clip. and here on the east coast, bassani isnt real popular, so im unique too. its not the deep rumble that EVERY OTHER MUSTANG has. Its a deep rumble, but as soon as you step on it, its got that loud "im gonna eat your face" scream to it. sounds very intimidating
Old 06-12-2007, 06:33 PM
DaMach04
4th Gear Member

here is a clip offull bassani on an 03 cobra. He doesnt have cats or baffles tho...i think im gonna gut my cats, and see about removing any baffles that may be baffling my exhaust[&:]

http://videos.streetfire.net/video/e...58008ff952.htm
Old 06-13-2007, 05:20 PM
1fstmach
2nd Gear Member

Dr Gas X did a lot for my Mach

if you want one, I have it for sale
Old 07-02-2007, 10:05 PM
RMGraphics
Banned

how much for the dr gas x pipe? Does it have cats?
Old 07-15-2007, 05:58 PM
Lonestar777

Iridiums do help some but you will not notice them. Get a cat back which you will notice and also if you go with electric water pump as I did you will pick up some power that way too. My car is heavly moded and it just gets better the more you add. Your only limit is how much you can spend. Cold air kits help and I like my C&L also if you do many mods you will need a tune since may mods can make your car run rich or lean depends on each car as each car can be differant.