Mach 1 Section This section is for discussions relating to the reincarnation of the Mach 1 trimline.

Intakes

Search this Thread

Old 11-18-2007, 08:40 PM
B.O.B MACH 1
1st Gear Member

Default Intakes

I was told that intakesdoes not do anything for the Machs, and in some cases they lose power. So i was wondering if anyone has any proof that an intake did anything, and if so what intake was it.

Old 11-19-2007, 07:33 AM
Baron von Munchausen
3rd Gear Member

Default RE: Intakes

Assuming you refer to a CAI, when combined withan aftermarket midpipe and catback theyfrequently lean out the A/F ratio enough to require a tune.Exhaust mods, a CAI, and a tuneapplied together will increase HP, but how much is due to the intake is anyone's guess. I see no reason why a well-made intake would ever result in a HP loss.If cost is your sticking point, don't bother with theintake. I personally didn't care about the cost, since I bought my Mach 1 brand new in 2003 and $200-$250 for an intake (in my case a C&L with a slight larger MAF housing) was nothing to me. Logic would say that more air out resulting fromexhaust improvementswouldrequire more air in, via an intake, andresult in a HP gain. A middle of the road approach would be to intall a K&N drop-in filter in place of the stock paper filter, and retain your stock intake ducting, which you have already done. I would say stick with that.
Old 11-19-2007, 08:24 AM
HamMach1
5th Gear Member

Get a JLT ram air intake or cold air intake for like $150 and call it a day
Old 11-19-2007, 01:52 PM
B.O.B MACH 1
1st Gear Member

I was looken into the jlt ram air. I jsut dont want to spend 150 for nuthin
Old 11-19-2007, 02:58 PM
Stone629
6th Gear Member

This is what I was planning on doing. I want to get a custom dyno tune done and want an intake as well, but like you have heard that CAIs cause certains unwanted conditions.Since an intakewill netvery little gain without a tune, I am going to wait and put my intake on the day before I get tuned. That way, there won't be any doubt as to hp/tq gains, lean conditions, etc. By itself, you won't feel a difference, although there may be a slightincrease in power. I'd just hold off for now if I were you and do exhaust or gears first.
Old 11-20-2007, 10:13 PM
B.O.B MACH 1
1st Gear Member

I already got gears and and exhaust, but its only a cat back. i dont want to get headers cause im goin turbo. so headers and a mid pipe are a waste of money.
Old 11-21-2007, 04:44 PM
Baron von Munchausen
3rd Gear Member

Do your research on JLT before you buy. Reports of warped intake tubes have been posted elsewhere, along with a HP decrease with the ram air version.
Old 11-21-2007, 05:39 PM
Stone629
6th Gear Member

Will a JLT work with a turbo? I thought turbo and supercharger kits came with custom intakes. If so, you're wasting your money on an intake.
Old 11-21-2007, 10:31 PM
94Blk5.0
5th Gear Member

I dont have a Mach but a CAI (C&L) on my 5.0 made a nice differnce over a drop-in K&N w/o the silencer. I have read about possibiltiy of leaning it out too much. A CAI seems like they would be a solid addtion with other bolt-ons and a tune. If you dont want a tune,a K&N , no silencer and try taping off the box that branches off the intake tube,( for smooth as possible air flow), and you should be fine.
Old 11-22-2007, 01:13 AM
B.O.B MACH 1
1st Gear Member

its true, the intake will not work with a turbo. but its taking me a while to save enough up to get my car boosted, so i wouldnt mind puting out 150 if it would give me a few extra ponys in the time it takes to save up.

Quick Reply: Intakes