Mach 1 Section This section is for discussions relating to the reincarnation of the Mach 1 trimline.

Deep Loud, Good gains cat-back?

Search this Thread

Old 03-15-2008, 09:12 PM
Trmachuno
5th Gear Member

Default Deep Loud, Good gains cat-back?

Mod bug has already struck me for this car. I have a steeda tri-ax that is going to be installed within the next week or week and a half depending on when I get the time to have it done. Next I want a cat-back. Looking for loud, deep, and nice gains in the hp department. I hear magnaflow or slp loudmouths are the way to go. I'm leaning towards the lm's b/c they seem to dyno the best gains and are supposedly louder than magnaflows correct? And there are 2 types of lm's and I like lm's II better than I's. They seem deeper andnot raspy. But before I do anything, I want to know if LM II's are that much quieter than LM 1's, and are they louder than magnaflows? And will I be happy with how loud the lm 2's are for a cat-back?In the future Iamgoing to look into headers too, not sure if LT's or shorties but I will have a catted mid for emissions. Thanks for any advice.
Old 03-15-2008, 09:29 PM
rygi23
4th Gear Member

Default RE: Deep Loud, Good gains cat-back?

Know what you mean about Mod bug, had mine for 4 months and it hit me like a jackhammer. I have the LM1s. Bought them for the same reasons, I wanted loud and hp gains. The SLP has the gains because it is basically a straight pipe with a sound-deadening shield around the outside..no chambers (10hp gain, on the top-end of the powerband). The LM2s are a little deeper from what I hear, but in my opinion the LM1s aren't annoyingly raspy like some say. Youtube clips make them sound raspier than they are. Actually a deep tone at cruising, just scream when ya open her up. Don't have experience with Magnaflows though, sorry. Also, the SLP set-up is a 3 piece, so you can change from LM1 to LM2 muffs if you want, ofcourse you'd have to buy the other muffs separately. Headers...don't waste your time with shorties, very minimal gain (like 3-5 hp). Go long tubes...reasonable BBK, or all out quality of SLP, Kook's, or Hooker. Sorry for the book, hope I helped ya out some.
Old 03-15-2008, 09:56 PM
Trmachuno
5th Gear Member

Thanks for the help! Shorties I would only do if I want a louder/deeper exhaust and don't want to spend the extra few hundread dollars for lt's.
Old 03-15-2008, 10:15 PM
Furinox
4th Gear Member

a catback is not going to give you any HP gains, only sound.
Old 03-15-2008, 10:25 PM
Trmachuno
5th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: Furinox

Really? I've been searching and people claim dynoing8-12rwhp gain with an slp lm cat-back on their GT's? [sm=smiley24.gif]I hear flowmaster shows 2-3rwhp gainand am not sure about others.
Old 03-16-2008, 08:07 PM
Furinox
4th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: SteelStang05

ORIGINAL: Furinox

Really? I've been searching and people claim dynoing8-12rwhp gain with an slp lm cat-back on their GT's? [sm=smiley24.gif]I hear flowmaster shows 2-3rwhp gainand am not sure about others.
nah, you're not going to see a gain with just a catback. A midpipe maybe, but not catback.
Old 03-16-2008, 08:32 PM
HamMach1
5th Gear Member

You will see gains from both a catback and midpipe... since both really free up the flow of air through the exhaust.
Old 03-16-2008, 09:08 PM
rygi23
4th Gear Member

A stang publication hada cat-back comparo a few months ago, judging sound and dynos. Only SLP and two other manufacturers were willing to subject thier product to the judging. SLP 8 hp gain, occassionally hear people claiming 10 hp gain, chambered muffs gained 3-5 hp. Bought the SLP LM1and noticed an improvement 4k-7k. That's my experience.
Old 03-17-2008, 09:35 AM
Trmachuno
5th Gear Member

Thanks for clarifying that guys. Was a little confused when people said no gains will be seen when I've heard ofdocumented gains. Confused the crap out of me [&:]
Old 03-17-2008, 12:56 PM
Furinox
4th Gear Member

let me put it this way. the gain is going to be so insignificant you can't feel it. You're lucky to get 10-15hp from a catback and a midpipe combined(most of the gains coming from the midpipe)