Mach 1 Section This section is for discussions relating to the reincarnation of the Mach 1 trimline.

exhaust questions

Search this Thread

Old 03-24-2008, 02:16 PM
Subotai_95
4th Gear Member

Default RE: exhaust questions

ORIGINAL: Slicktastyk Matt

The midpipe has to be specially fit to the longtubes, hense why you'll see on websites like VRS' or Dr. Gas' website that the headers are meant for BBK or MAC, etc. I think SLP only matches up with SLP's headers.

So basically...
Not only do you need to buy a midpipe specific to longtubes, you have to make sure the midpipe is also specific to the brand name headers. (Correct me if I'm wrong )
Not necessarily slick.. If you're good at fab work you can do it yourself, or have a shop do it, but it's entirely possible to mix and match. I myself was looking at a set of custom long-tube headers from Stainless Works, and I had already ordered my mids and LMII's from SLP. The stainless works guys said it's possible to do, just make sure you get a fab shop that knows what they're doing. I ended up going with the SLP ceramic-coated LT's because it cost less to do that than it would have to fab up the mids to the stainless works headers. Point being, the only real question is can you, do it yourself/afford to have someone else do it. See what I mean? Other than that you can pretty much put whatever you want down there provided you have the money and/or the time to do it.

So you weren't far off brudda, because it usually IS easier and much less of a pain in the *** to stick within brands. (Unless you happen to pick a crappy brand like BBK[:'(]lol that's just me though..)
Old 03-24-2008, 03:57 PM
Stone629
6th Gear Member

+1, I had my LTs fabbed up to match the cat-back. I just couldn't unbolt anything independently. The LTs and mid were one piece in other words. Not a good thing if I wanted to drop the trans.
Old 03-24-2008, 07:09 PM
draxxuspainter32
1st Gear Member

Yeah that makes more sense. I can do the fab work myself, its not an issue.

I plan on going with SLP Lm II ( i think I's will be too loud) and Slp x. I like Slp, although i hear its a lot of the name your paying for and there are cheaper, equal products out there. Although its not set in stone, its really hard for me to buy an exhaust without hearing it in person.

I guess i will stay away from BBK lol.

Old 03-24-2008, 08:30 PM
Subotai_95
4th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: draxxuspainter32

Yeah that makes more sense. I can do the fab work myself, its not an issue.

I plan on going with SLP Lm II ( i think I's will be too loud) and Slp x. I like Slp, although i hear its a lot of the name your paying for and there are cheaper, equal products out there. Although its not set in stone, its really hard for me to buy an exhaust without hearing it in person.

I guess i will stay away from BBK lol.

lol.. See here's the rub with BBK.. They ARE cheaper, and the performance isn't all THAT far off of what you'd get from some other more generic brands, but they're famous, or I should say infamous, for extremely sh1tty welds on their stuff.. Not only does it look like crap, but especially with their headers, if there's an undue amount of weld slag from a crappy tig weld inside the headers you could potentially suck that crap back up into the engine.. And with their mid's and exhausts, they're famous for leaks and pretty much sounding like crap.. Though sound is pretty much subjective, as you will get guys that haven't seen/had any crappy BBK products yet. So it's all in how much of a risk you want to take with what you get brudda.. That's just me though.
Old 03-25-2008, 11:16 PM
draxxuspainter32
1st Gear Member

yea, but id rather not take that chance. Ill prob just stick with slp x and slp cat.
Old 03-26-2008, 07:36 AM
HamMach1
5th Gear Member

MAC makes great headers and cost right around BBK's ally. I bought some, no weld splatters or anything, nice and smooth ports. Sadly, I had to sell them because I just couldn't scrap up the pennies for the installation and tune!

I will go with something like Flowtech or Kooks because you don't have to move them around to get to the tranny.

But yeah I guess I figured with a nice wallet, you can get the fab work done to get a mismatch to fit but I'm just talking about straight out of the box fitting.