Mach 1 Section This section is for discussions relating to the reincarnation of the Mach 1 trimline.

When is a MACH 1 not a MACH 1??

Search this Thread

Old 04-20-2008, 07:23 PM
bolt.com
1st Gear Member

Default When is a MACH 1 not a MACH 1??

I think the answer is..........when a dumbass like me buys one!!!!

Picked up a used '03 today.......of course, a keen eye would have probably immediately been able to tell the badgings and shaker hood did not make the car. Not me............like a dick.

SO, I think I bought a used Mustang GT for 17,995 today when I thought I was getting a good deal on a MACH. Damn.......even had the MACH 1 plate on the radiator cover area.

Gotta spend tonght figuring how to resolve this...........fcukkers took me......and I traded my custom Altima 3.5 SE to them for a song.
Old 04-20-2008, 07:29 PM
5.0 85 GT
3rd Gear Member

Default RE: When is a MACH 1 not a MACH 1??

damnn dude...that sucks, what color is it? and can u go back to them and tell em they misreprested what theyw rere selling and u want ur trade back??? if not keep the car they are very nice...show us some pics of it, hope u get it resolved
Old 04-20-2008, 07:37 PM
bolt.com
1st Gear Member

ORIGINAL: 5.0 85 GT

damnn dude...that sucks, what color is it? and can u go back to them and tell em they misreprested what theyw rere selling and u want ur trade back??? if not keep the car they are very nice...show us some pics of it, hope u get it resolved
Bro.........I feel like such an *******.

I saw it listed on the internet..............but my friend cal me on the way home. He was a bit skeptical. Next thing I know Im parked on the side of the highway with my son in the back and I pop the hood and he's telling me about oil dipstick positions..........valve cover design diferrences between GT and MACH.............guage cluster design.

At a minimum, IM going to go bitch and get them to take some $$ off..............thats damn unethical to do.............selling somebody a car thats a fake "Oh.........you know your getting a rare model here............."

Yup.......real rare..........as in fake!!!!
Old 04-20-2008, 07:48 PM
Gene K
5th Gear Member

The serial number will tell you if its a real Mach. Someone here should be able to tell you which letter in which position to look for.
For that matter the friendly local Ford Dealer should be able to run it and give you the info on it.
If they sold it as a Mach1 without disclosing its just a dressed up GT then thats Criminal Fraud.
As I see it they have two choices. Make you whole (Car back or refund the money) or face charges for theft by deception.

Does it have a DOHC engine? Should say V8 32-Valve on top of the valve cover. The engine should be a dead give away.
Its a pain in the rear to do a 2V to 4V swap or vice versa in theses cars.

PS. You can also goto mach1registry.com and enter your VIN in the VIN decoder on the front page.

Edited to add post links to pictures of the engine and/or send pictures to your buddies cell phone from yours.
Old 04-20-2008, 07:59 PM
whodini72

Theres lots and lots of ways to tell a GT from a Mach 1- seats, rear quarter window, etc....but the easiest way is definitely the VIN, a mach 1 is known as an "R" code for the distinct R in it. If the VIN has an R, its a Mach, if not, its a GT. What you have there might not be a bad investment, if someone put the money into the car to make it a mach look alike, as long as you like it- hell, who cares?
Old 04-20-2008, 08:26 PM
meechuacon
3rd Gear Member

Take it back, if they told you it was a Mach 1 then that's false advertising or something. Talk to a lawyer. And yes, if the VIN has an R, it's a mach 1, if not, it's a GT.
Old 04-20-2008, 08:42 PM
HamMach1
5th Gear Member

Look at the "c-pillars".
The GT's point straight down/towards the back.
The Mach's angle in towards the front.

You can also tell by the shocks.
Exhaust tips are a chrome-like finish while GT's aren't even polished.
Shifter **** is different, gauge cluster is different, valve covers will say "32v V.8" or whatever on them.

What color is it?
Old 04-20-2008, 09:24 PM
mach1ford

Talk about a sucky day damn dude.
Old 04-20-2008, 09:42 PM
bolt.com
1st Gear Member

Well.........thanks for the support fellas...........just got back from tooling around and MACH or no MACH, its damn fun to drive. This car feels stronger than my brother in-laws 2000 GT.

You guys hit all the nails on the head. No "R" on the VIN.........and the valve covers are way smaller, and black. Damn oil dipstick is on the wrong damn side too. I just got bamboozled..........even at 47, Im still a fcukk up. Traded in my custom Altima too for a song. Was able to run 14.0 in that car and it was mint with sick suspension. Still, unless you own a Z or an SE-R Sentra, the Nissan community blows................thats the main reason I wanted a Mustang, and specifically, a Mach 1. I had a brand new 5.0 Capri ('86)back in the day................but the car broke down all the time and I swore off Fords for life.

Im goin' back tomorrow and making a huge scene.............either Im getting my car back OR theyre taking off some $$ on the GT...........this just cant be legal. The ******* sales guy was even pointing out the square aluminum Mach 1 badge under the hood saying HE got robbed!!!!

So my Alti was running 235 to the wheelsand the unit was pretty quick since it weighed only about 3,200 lbs............so...........if over time, I throw in an H pipe, throttle body, intake and tune, what can I be running with the GT? Headers I think are a long way off as Im thinking long tubes on top of exhaust wont slip under the wire with wifey.

Damn.........this car was fun to drivve tonight though........shifter feels bulletproof.
Old 04-20-2008, 10:00 PM
jmac72187
corner carver

Damn dude that sucks. I would not accept the car if they misrepresented it like that. Call your lawyer and see what he/she has to say about it.

For $18000, you could definitely get a Mach.

Quick Reply: When is a MACH 1 not a MACH 1??