Mach 1 Section This section is for discussions relating to the reincarnation of the Mach 1 trimline.

Skinny Stock Mach 1 Wheels

Search this Thread

Old 04-30-2008, 08:07 AM
cmylxgo

Default Skinny Stock Mach 1 Wheels

Here was my last attempted mod before I sold the Mach. I never got around to getting the backordered AFS deep dish and since the the car is sold...I'm not going to waste my time widening the stock rears. I was going to put M&H 185/55/17 on them. Stock rims are 17x8 and these are now 17x5. I could not get them any smaller.

Here is a link to Hi Res shots....

http://www.slugbitchracing.com/Mach1/wheels/HiRes/
Old 04-30-2008, 08:32 AM
jmac72187
corner carver

Default RE: Skinny Stock Mach 1 Wheels

Looks pretty good. Better than dealing with grinding calipers or spacers.

How much do they weigh now?
Old 04-30-2008, 08:56 AM
groundpounder
Sith Lord/Site Mod

That's pretty cool. Did you do the welding yourself? Where did you get them balanced, a machine shop?
Old 04-30-2008, 08:59 AM
USMCrebel
Mach I Section Moderator

info how'd you do it
Old 04-30-2008, 09:09 AM
cmylxgo

I had them done at Weldcraft. Cost me $250 a wheel for the work.
http://www.weldcraftwheels.com/

Here are the specs on the tire I am using...

DOT Certified TUBELESS[*]Tread Width: 5.0"[*]Section Width: 6.6"[*]Diameter: 26.0"[*]Circumference: 81.7"[*]Rim Size: 5.0"[*]Code: ROD-11R
Old 04-30-2008, 09:47 AM
USMCrebel
Mach I Section Moderator

ok, what do you do for a living that gives you all this monopoly money to throw around.....40k+ car, and 500 on the front wheels
Old 04-30-2008, 10:05 AM
Subotai_95
4th Gear Member

+100.. lol I want to know so I can start doing whatever it is that he's doing.. Working for the Alphabet soup doesn't pay jack-**** unless you're deployed, and that's getting old now that I'm past 30. [&:] Seriously though, 500 bucks just to mod front rims you already have is a little pricey. Still, looks like a very smooth weld job, and taking three inches off of each rim woulddefinitely lighten it up a good bit methinks.
Old 04-30-2008, 10:40 AM
Trmachuno
5th Gear Member

Very cool, but I want to know how much weight is gone too. Tried launching the car, acceleratingquickly from a rollyet with those rims? I wonder if the front of the car will raise up a bit now with em on.
Old 04-30-2008, 10:46 AM
cmylxgo

I work full time as a Sr. Network Engineer and part time as a Network Administrator for Livernois Motorsports.

If you look at my car my goal is pretty obvious. I want to keep this one of kind, Mach 1, as close to stock looking as possible. There is only one visable guage inside the cockpit of my car. There is very little extra bling inside as well. On the outside of the car the only thing done besides the wheels is the billet black fuel door. Under the hoot the only thing that is noticable is the blower. The fuel system is hidden and takes a keen eye to notice it.

As for the current wheels on the car...I purchased those in the spring of 2004. At the time nobody had a 17x10.5" wheel except for Verde which was sold through Discount Tire. They came in chrome and silver. I really wanted a machine finished wheel but figured I would try these out. They were cheap....$125 for the fronts and $145 for the rears. I was told that the silver looked just like stock...but they lied. Once the wheels showed up I was not happy with them and was going to send them back. They tire guy said that I should try them out and if i did not like them I could return them. Well...after they were on the car I really fell in love with the look becuase it brought back some of the 91-93 Pony 5-Star wheel look that I loved....so I kept them. Now that I've had them for 4 years...they are starting to show wear and my wife curbed on of them. The unfortunate part is they no longer make this wheel and I can not replace it. I wanted to go back to running stock style wheels to bring it back to looking more like stock. I am on that stupid long backorder list at AFS for the deep dish 17x10.5...but I really am not a fan of the deep dish look.

Anyways...I had my stock wheels laying around and I consider them free at this point...so to buy a 17" wheel that would fit with the stock brakes that I like is more than $250 a wheel. And the AFS wheels are like $200 shipped for the rears. So I plan on having my stockers widened to 10.5" to keep the ulitmate stock look. When I roll into the water box I want peeps to think its a 12s stock Mach...then rip off a 9s pass

-Corey
Old 04-30-2008, 12:56 PM
USMCrebel
Mach I Section Moderator

ORIGINAL: cmylxgo

I work full time as a Sr. Network Engineer and part time as a Network Administrator for Livernois Motorsports.

If you look at my car my goal is pretty obvious. I want to keep this one of kind, Mach 1, as close to stock looking as possible. There is only one visable guage inside the cockpit of my car. There is very little extra bling inside as well. On the outside of the car the only thing done besides the wheels is the billet black fuel door. Under the hoot the only thing that is noticable is the blower. The fuel system is hidden and takes a keen eye to notice it.

As for the current wheels on the car...I purchased those in the spring of 2004. At the time nobody had a 17x10.5" wheel except for Verde which was sold through Discount Tire. They came in chrome and silver. I really wanted a machine finished wheel but figured I would try these out. They were cheap....$125 for the fronts and $145 for the rears. I was told that the silver looked just like stock...but they lied. Once the wheels showed up I was not happy with them and was going to send them back. They tire guy said that I should try them out and if i did not like them I could return them. Well...after they were on the car I really fell in love with the look becuase it brought back some of the 91-93 Pony 5-Star wheel look that I loved....so I kept them. Now that I've had them for 4 years...they are starting to show wear and my wife curbed on of them. The unfortunate part is they no longer make this wheel and I can not replace it. I wanted to go back to running stock style wheels to bring it back to looking more like stock. I am on that stupid long backorder list at AFS for the deep dish 17x10.5...but I really am not a fan of the deep dish look.

Anyways...I had my stock wheels laying around and I consider them free at this point...so to buy a 17" wheel that would fit with the stock brakes that I like is more than $250 a wheel. And the AFS wheels are like $200 shipped for the rears. So I plan on having my stockers widened to 10.5" to keep the ulitmate stock look. When I roll into the water box I want peeps to think its a 12s stock Mach...then rip off a 9s pass

-Corey
[sm=hail.gif]

they put out some great stuff, hopefully in about 3-5 years ill have my own shop, and i wanna build a car to run theirs. i would love to learn from their engine builders and body guys.....i would be tickled ****less!

Quick Reply: Skinny Stock Mach 1 Wheels