Mach 1 Section This section is for discussions relating to the reincarnation of the Mach 1 trimline.

Types of f/i?

Search this Thread

Old 05-14-2008, 08:02 PM
Trmachuno
5th Gear Member

Default Types of f/i?

What types of f/i do they make for our cars?

I know they make vortech's and prochargers, but I never see or hear for sale or on our cars any whipples, roots,or turbos. You guys know of any sold for our cars and/or prices?

I know the cheapest I saw an intercooled vortech kit complete was $5200, and Procharger is a little more expensive than those. Thanks for posting anything you know. Something I've always wondered.
Old 05-14-2008, 08:45 PM
USMCrebel
Mach I Section Moderator

Default RE: Types of f/i?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E7S4wgZ-0DQ
Old 05-14-2008, 08:50 PM
Trmachuno
5th Gear Member

That's insane! That turbo kit must have been putting down over 500rwhp easy. Got any numbers?
Old 05-14-2008, 09:22 PM
Sace
2nd Gear Member

wow that was awsome.. a guy last year at carlel that had a twin turbo mach one. just looks badass
Old 05-14-2008, 09:56 PM
USMCrebel
Mach I Section Moderator

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g-YkhwrZQPY&feature=related

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Phd33...eature=related
Old 05-14-2008, 10:53 PM
Trmachuno
5th Gear Member

Wow! low low 11's on stock suspension/tires with a turbo kit.Seeing all these videos makes mesay forget bolt-ons, it's time to save for f/i. This leads to my next question,let's say I'm looking to putdown 400-430rwhpwitha supercharger (probably vortech or procharger), what would be some pre-f/i I could do if I have a little coin to spend? I'm thinking possibly:
-fl weld on subframe connectors $150
-wider rearmach rims in the rear with wider drag radials $650
-rear lower control arms $125-$150
-Air Fuel gauge-$280-$350 w/pod/pillar -$25-$50
-Boost gauge $50-$200
Anything else or any other ideas? Thanks again!
Old 05-15-2008, 04:45 AM
Subotai_95
4th Gear Member

Well, it looks like you've got a pretty good list of stuff there brudda.. I personally would at least consider doing headers/exhaust, cause like rebel said in the other thread, if you don't let the old lady breathe she's gonna bite ya.. Especially with F/I..

And I could be wrong, but Pro-Charger is usually cheaper than Vortech as far as I've seen.. I paid a little over $4,800, shipping included, for the ATI P1-S/C stage 2 kit w/ 3-core intercooler brudda.. The Vortec kits I've seen are usually around that or higher by a little bit depending on where you get it, and if you buy used or not. The stage 1 P1 kit is usually between $4,500 and $4,600 before shipping.

Now I do have to admit that a big snail like a GT-40 or GT-60 would sound bad *** on a mach.. Never actually seen one that had it though, and can't watch the video back there cause I'm at work. [>:]Something else you might consider brudda if you have the cash is upgrading your springs/shocks, and/or brakes/rotors/lines if you can afford it. Not really NEEDED, but if you're really going F/I the extra stopping power is a good thing on the street, especially if you have a 70lb sledge for feet like I do most of the time. hehe..
Old 05-15-2008, 09:40 AM
Trmachuno
5th Gear Member

Thanks Sub. My exhaust right now consists of stock headers, a cat-less h-pipe, and an slp lm 2cat-back. It's pretty freeflowing over stock and I'd rather put my money towards suspension stuff right now instead of expensive as hell longtube headers orlow low gains shorty headers.

If I were to go centri, it would probably be vortech b/c they tap into the oil pan instead of having a self-contained unit. I would have to buy their own oil for the supercharger, which adds up over time and Iwould have less problems upping boost like you might have on theprocharger if I wanted to go forged internals.

Then if I were to go f/i it'd either bevortech or a helion or someother turbo kit.The Vortech is a little over$1k cheaper, but the turbo willbe easier on theengine and put out most likely over 500rwhp safely at 9psi on stock internals while thevortech will be in the lower 400rwhp wise, probably around 420-430rwhp. And for those that say anything over 450rwhp isn't safe on stock internals, it's anything over 9psi on stock internals isn't safe. I don't know which route to go, I'll probably be happier with either but I would love to save for a turbo kit even if it takes me a few years including supporting mods and moneyfor install(I don't want to screw anything up).OH ****, just remembered, what's the safe limit rwhp wise on thet-3650? Maybe I will have to vortech unless I want to drop a few grand in a new transmission.

Brakes androtors I won't touchuntil I havef/i on the car, because I have no idea how long it will be before then and it's a waste sort of to upgrade that when it's not needed, especially since our stock brakes are very strong.
Old 05-15-2008, 09:49 AM
USMCrebel
Mach I Section Moderator

Steel,
i would go with the procharger and either get the P1sc-2 or the D1sc w/ a 4.30 pulley, that will keep the boost levels ~what the p1sc levels are then once you get forged BAM go with a 2" pulley and watch the world fly by
Old 05-15-2008, 12:02 PM
Trmachuno
5th Gear Member

I don't know if I am gonna go centri now, it may take a while but I really want a turbocharger. It will probably be 3-4 yrs down the line, when I can also afford a beater car for a daily driver but it will be worth it. Looked up Nanaki's car, he pushed 550rwhp on the stockt-3650 for acouple years with no problems, but blew it after he bumped it up to 630rwhp~(after he had it at 550rwhp he bumped it to 575rwhp w/no problems for a few months then to 630rwhp and it blew). So thismeans the stocktrans will be fine with low 500whp. Now Iwill just have afew yrs to do some supporting mods to the car [&o]. Damn few yrs .Probablygoing to shoot for high-mid 10's with this project if I am gonna take it to the track whenall is said and done. Are those goals possible with 500whp~ and 540wtorque~ and DR's and the other supporting mods I said?

Quick Reply: Types of f/i?