Mach 1 Section This section is for discussions relating to the reincarnation of the Mach 1 trimline.

Intake Spacer Install... I ****ed up

Search this Thread

Old 08-05-2008, 06:08 PM
jmac72187
corner carver

Default RE: Intake Spacer Install... I ****ed up

Right now the screw is pretty haggard haha. There is a hole through it because I the broken drill bit came out the bottom. It was a pretty small bit though. Either tomorow or Friday I am going to dive into it and get it done.

I will try the extractors again and if that fails I will attempt the screwdrivers and maybe a dremel.

The car runs fine, but I just can't live with it like that.
Old 08-06-2008, 12:07 AM
Shaken
1st Gear Member

ORIGINAL: jmac72187

Right now the screw is pretty haggard haha. There is a hole through it because I the broken drill bit came out the bottom. It was a pretty small bit though. Either tomorow or Friday I am going to dive into it and get it done.

I will try the extractors again and if that fails I will attempt the screwdrivers and maybe a dremel.

The car runs fine, but I just can't live with it like that.
So you have drilled thru the bolt. If the hole is centered I would continue drilling with a larger size up to the size you would use to tap the hole originally. Left handed drills would be a good idea like previously posted. As you work your way up in diameter as long as the hole is centered you should be able to get the rest of the bolt out which would be the treads of the bolt. Retap the hole with the correct size and be careful when toquing it back down. If the threads are damaged you will need a helicoil to fix it if you have enough casting for the helicoil.
Old 08-06-2008, 06:56 AM
draxxuspainter32
1st Gear Member

what size is the bolt? 1/4? you might need to drill a bigger hole to help the easy out catch.
Old 08-06-2008, 06:51 PM
1HottMach
1st Gear Member

+1 Try to drill out toaccomodate biggest easy out you can use.. Left handed as mentioned would be A++++ That is a tough perdicament you have gotten yourself into lol I feel the same as you though Gotta get it right!! You're doing the right thing and I applaude you[sm=happy046.gif]
Old 08-07-2008, 01:34 AM
sixty5mustang289
1st Gear Member

You could possibly take the lower intake to a machine shop and see if they can do anything to get it out. This is a bad situation. A friend of mine managed to do the exact same thing on his 5.0 but never was able to fix it, mainly because he used counterfeit grade 8 bolts that cannot be machined out.
Old 08-07-2008, 05:29 AM
jmac72187
corner carver

How hard is the removal of the entire intake manifold? I would obviously prefer to avoid this but if the extractors don't work it could come down to it.

Worst situation is that I live with it like this until the winter and remove the manifold to have it removed while the car is away for winter.
Old 08-07-2008, 08:32 AM
USMCrebel
Mach I Section Moderator

ORIGINAL: jmac72187

How hard is the removal of the entire intake manifold? I would obviously prefer to avoid this but if the extractors don't work it could come down to it.

Worst situation is that I live with it like this until the winter and remove the manifold to have it removed while the car is away for winter.
lots of little parts, but nothing to complicated IMO...it might be bettter to wait....espicially since winter up there sucks *****...well it did when i lived there.
Old 08-07-2008, 12:45 PM
jmac72187
corner carver

Yup, I don't drive the car for about 3-4 months so I could deal with it then.
Old 08-20-2008, 12:53 PM
Kenny_k82
2nd Gear Member

Wow, that sucks, but atleast you will have a project while it's crappy out... I'm going to start my spacer install tonight but it's a DD so I hope I don't snap any bolts!
Old 08-21-2008, 03:14 PM
jmac72187
corner carver

Originally Posted by Kenny_k82
Wow, that sucks, but atleast you will have a project while it's crappy out... I'm going to start my spacer install tonight but it's a DD so I hope I don't snap any bolts!
I think I am an exception. Something always goes wrong when I install something.

Quick Reply: Intake Spacer Install... I ****ed up