Mach 1 Section This section is for discussions relating to the reincarnation of the Mach 1 trimline.

INSANELY LOUD EXHAUST

Old 11-18-2008, 07:09 PM
rygi23
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by NotStok
I'm running an O/R X and a Mac Catback, and it's deafening doing a flyby, but sounds amazing. I've looked into Borla, but I can't get past the boat sound at low RPM.

Any O/R pipe + LM1's are going to be unpleasantly loud. Especially at highway speeds, I can only imagine how loud those things get in the cabin.

BTW, check out this setup. This is what I want to run someday when money allows. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zswnDsKdMz0
LM1s are LOUD in the cabin. Had to talk a little louder on the highway. God it was loud.
Old 11-18-2008, 07:25 PM
Stone629
6th Gear Member

IMO, 90% of your actual volume is going to come from the midpipe, meaning whether or not you have cats. The other 10% is due to the muffler design. SLP LM1s are not mufflers, they are simply a hollow tube....resonator. Headers do little to absolutely nothing for exhaust volume imo. I had an ORX paired with flowmasters, and it was loud, but with tone. It resonated pretty bad at any speed inside the cabin, caused a lot of interior rattles as well. I plan on going with magnapacks or some other straight thru muff next time for better exhaust flow than the chambered/baffled muffs. Like everyone else has stated, for all out screamimg loudness, go with the SLPs and any O/R pipe.
Old 11-18-2008, 07:29 PM
rygi23
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by Stone629
IMO, 90% of your actual volume is going to come from the midpipe, meaning whether or not you have cats. The other 10% is due to the muffler design. SLP LM1s are not mufflers, they are simply a hollow tube....resonator. Headers do little to absolutely nothing for exhaust volume imo. I had an ORX paired with flowmasters, and it was loud, but with tone. It resonated pretty bad at any speed inside the cabin, caused a lot of interior rattles as well. I plan on going with magnapacks or some other straight thru muff next time for better exhaust flow than the chambered/baffled muffs. Like everyone else has stated, for all out screamimg loudness, go with the SLPs and any O/R pipe.
+1^ that was my experience with the LM1s as well. Sweet with cats, but I'd say 3 times louder w/o the cats. If you go with an o/r midpipe, which you should, any muff will give ya loads of sound. It's the tone to choose from.
Old 11-19-2008, 04:31 AM
FELEN
1st Gear Member

hmmm after reading all this kinda makes me want to change my mind on the setup i was going for....i was going to get slp longtubes with the catted x pipe but everyone says to get the off road so now im all confused.....
Old 11-19-2008, 09:15 AM
rygi23
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by FELEN
hmmm after reading all this kinda makes me want to change my mind on the setup i was going for....i was going to get slp longtubes with the catted x pipe but everyone says to get the off road so now im all confused.....
O/R is the best flowing, but going with longtubes is the shiznit so I wouldn't worry about it. that's a great set up...an expensive one but a great one. The X flows just a tad better than the H. It won't have that low rumble the H does, but having high-flow cats won't hurt ya a noticeable amount. Go with the tone of a chambered muff IMO if you're going with an X. I'll make it simple for ya...longtubes, catted X, either bassani or flows super 44s. Bassani being a little louder, flows still damn loud but with a deeper tone.
Old 11-19-2008, 01:06 PM
04AZUREBLUEMACH1
2nd Gear Member

Question X- or H-

If you believe that 90% of the sound comes from the X-pipe, lets say that I decide to keep my stock headers and Flowmaster Dumps, but change the catted X-pipe to a catless H- or X-.

If I go H-, will the performance decrease be noticeable?

I want a sound that rumbles low and loud at idle, and really gets loud when you step on it, without getting to high-pitched. Any suggestions?

Thanks!
Old 11-19-2008, 01:24 PM
Mustang3GT07
6th Gear Member

Just go on youtube and search different exhaust types and see which one you like best.
Old 11-19-2008, 02:06 PM
rygi23
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by Mustang3GT07
Just go on youtube and search different exhaust types and see which one you like best.
+1^^^^We could tell ya a million different opinions about a million different exhaust combos, youtube has a clip of just about all of them....streetfire.net has some also. Definately do LTs if you can afford to.
Old 11-19-2008, 02:18 PM
04AZUREBLUEMACH1
2nd Gear Member

Default LTs

Would Bassani's Mid-length headers and X-pipe be the next best thing to Longtubes? I really don't want to pull the engine.
Old 11-19-2008, 03:12 PM
rygi23
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by 04AZUREBLUEMACH1
Would Bassani's Mid-length headers and X-pipe be the next best thing to Longtubes? I really don't want to pull the engine.
yes, but I wouldn't do the midlength because you never know if you'll want to switch midpipes. Neither shorty or regular midpipes fit with mid length headers. Pretty sure I'm correct with that info. That's just me though, if you find a clip of the mid length setup and love it that much to where you think you'll just stick with it forever and forever, then go with it. By the way, is that the story you've heard on mid length headers...that the engine doesn't have to be lifted for installation? Now you've got me thinking mid length as it may be a helluva lot more affordable than LTs considering the installation cost for LTs. Hmmm.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: INSANELY LOUD EXHAUST