Mach 1 Section This section is for discussions relating to the reincarnation of the Mach 1 trimline.

Detailing Craze

Search this Thread

Old 01-08-2009, 12:27 PM
USMCrebel
Mach I Section Moderator

Default Detailing Craze

well, i did a light detail on the car last night, and i noticed the scoops have dirt in them and a a lot of it, i know i can pop the scoops out and take a damp rag and clean them out, but i was wondering what is the safest way to do this so i don't scratch the paint?

Another thing is 1 headlight is starting to haze....this is a big thing for me i can't stand it.
-I will be taking 1000-3000grit wet/dry sandpaper some polishing compound (contact Wrx transformed for mothers products) to the lights. (this isn't to time consuming)
**steps**
..remove the head lamp to save from taping off the car, and damaging paint from the SP
..wash the light thoroughly to remove as much of the bug and road grime,
..put some of the polishing compound on the lens,
..take a microfiber/ flannel cloth and massage in a circle, and while your doing this, have the 1k grit SP soaking in cold water ~10-12mins (this causes the abrasive in "the goop" to remove the haze kinda like sandpaper, but leave some behind)
..Now we use the soaked sandpaper and rub back and forth in 1 direction
..now do this with 1500 grit going at a right angle repeat with 2000,2500, and finally 3000 grit SP ALWAYS GO AT RIGHT ANGLES ie: if you went side to side on one piece go up and down with the next.
..Next get yer "goop" and apply to lens and polish out with flannel/ microfiber as you did before.
..Finally apply liquid/paste wax to lens to keep the oxidization from coming back so quickly.

hopefully this will remove to oxidization and restore the lens to a "new look"
Old 01-08-2009, 07:21 PM
rygi23
4th Gear Member

I'm not sure either. If I were to try I'd be basic and use a butterknife under a rag, popping from the bottom so that any miniscule damage wouldn't be noticeable. Kind of risky seeing that the clips underneath securing it aren't visible so you can't really line a prying tool up with it. Prying where the clips are not could result in a flex that could crack it, or make it so that it doesn't reattach nice and flush on the body. Do me a favor and let me know if you find a way that works.
Old 01-08-2009, 11:05 PM
USMCrebel
Mach I Section Moderator

rygi, someone tore my driver side scoop off in my work parking lot and left it sitting on top of my car, the clips are pretty durable, or they are .50 at wally world...i will probably work on it tomorrow after work.
Old 01-10-2009, 12:45 AM
NotStok
3rd Gear Member

I just jam a damp rag into mine to clean 'em and then hit them lightly with tire shine spray..
Old 01-11-2009, 12:12 AM
USMCrebel
Mach I Section Moderator

Originally Posted by NotStok
I just jam a damp rag into mine to clean 'em and then hit them lightly with tire shine spray..
i do that to, but i am talking about inside where grime builds up